Unable to orgasm

Discussion in 'Sexual Foreplay and Techniques' started by WC1989, Dec 16, 2015.

1. WC1989

Gold Member

Hello, all! I haven't posted in the forums in awhile, but I'm looking for some suggestions or advice.
    A few months ago I started on Lexapro for anxiety related with my work and university workload. Since then I've been unable to orgasm, both during solo playing and sex. Nothing else has changed everything feels great and yet nothing. My boyfriend wants me to speak with my doctor about the issue I'm having. Any suggestions beforehand?

2. afunk13

Gold Member

It's the medication. Sexual dysfunction is a side effect. Talk to your doctor about other options.

3. HotForHoney

Gold Member

Agreed.

CLE32793 and djanalyst like this.
  4. Hypersexual11

Gold Member

When I was on Lexapro I could orgasm after about a year of hard pounding. I didn't hate it because how I felt on the drug, surpassed the orgasm problem. Once I got off it, everything returned. How many antidepressants have you tried? I found Lexapro to have the fewest side effects. One problem with it though is if you get off of it, it probably won't work if you go back on.
    I don't think there is anything on the market your Dr. can give to bring them back. Sorry. Still feels good though right?

5. WC1989

Gold Member

Lexapro is the first drug we've tried for my anxiety. From what I've read here and other web sources I'm a little hesitant on speaking to my dr to change. I feel much better on lexapro, much less stress weighing on me. I feel some pleasure, but very little. No matter what I do or he does I am unable to orgasm. It's as if I build and build towards a strong orgasm and they nothing. Tends to be painful on occasion. I'm conflicted on what route to go.

6. HotForHoney

Gold Member

Could you talk to your Obgyn?

7. arugula

Gold Member

Frustrating problem. Talk to your doctor. Other medications eg Wellbutrin, or combining two SSRIs each at a lower dose helps some people.

CLE32793 likes this.
  8. WC1989

Gold Member

That's something to consider!
    Not sure who I need to address my issue with though. My OBGYN or family dr(who prescribed the lexapro).

CLE32793 likes this.
  9. afunk13

Gold Member

Go to the obgyn.

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Difficult call; depends what is more important in life right now but definitively something to discuss with a knowledgeable doctor.
    In a similar way when I was on Tramadol pain killers I could not cum no matter how hard or fast I fucked.
    SO got a good ride but like your experience I would build and build but never able to get over that wall.

11. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I think I've been through every medication available to those of us who practice better living through chemistry. Lexapro was one of the ones that killed my libido and ability to reach climax. It's hard to say what will/won't work for you because every different person has a unique reaction to all the different available medications. As others have said - the first step is going to be discussing this with your doctor, which I acknowledge might be a bit awkward (depending on how comfortable you are with your doc, of course).

If you feel it's important to remain on medication to treat your anxiety/stress symptoms, then don't preclude the notion of switching from Lexapro. It's one of many, many, many drugs out there that can be used to treat anxiety. Don't lock in on just one, especially if you are only recently beginning a regimen for your anxiety. It took me 13 years to finally find the combination/doses that work for me.

Of course, another thing to consider - setting aside the possible medication side effect factor of your inability to orgasm - is how stress plays into your ability to orgasm. I've heard, read, and personally experienced the fact that the higher your stress level, the lower your sexual drive, performance, and satisfaction in general.

Oh! And consider if there is a generic available whether or not to go with that. Generally speaking name brands are great and all if they're the only choice for a particular medication, but generics are equally effective. In many cases you're paying a whole ton extra for name recognition. Ex: Escitalopram (~$7) = Lexapro (~$157)

sensless and CLE32793 like this.
  12. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

I agree with 10_3XL on, well, everything. It also is affecting my sex drive but not to the point I am stopping it. Other meds have had a worse effect and some have increased it or maybe it was a combination, IDK. I'm glad you are trying something besides benzo drugs to assist with the increased anxiety. Needless to say it can be a challenge to find the right dug/drugs but you should most definitely talk to the doctor that prescribed it and I agree with the seeing your gyno, I saw mine for depression but was eventually referred to a psychiatrist (they are much more familiar with way to combine the meds to help you). I would also recommend yoga and mediation for stress as well as deep breathing. I hope you find some relief soon!!!

13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

For depression I recommend Orgasms!

arugula, djanalyst and CLE32793 like this.
  14. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

Hell yeah! And laughter!

arugula and djanalyst like this.
  15. whybother

Gold Member

LOL. Easier said than done.

16. WC1989

Gold Member

Sadly so true!

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'm currently 3 days without taking lexapro (extremely proud of myself) and managing alright. I'm hoping to wean myself to see if IT is the source of the problem. If it is I will be speaking to my dr.

CLE32793, teamster145 and djanalyst like this.
  17. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Remember that it can take up to 2 weeks for it to be fully out of your system. Just like it takes about a month before you can know if it's working effectively on your symptoms.

CLE32793 likes this.
  18. afunk13

Gold Member

I hope you actually talked to your doctor about going off the lexapro but it seems like you didn't. Meds can have bad withdrawal symptoms.

CLE32793 and 10_3XL like this.
  19. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

True, but I think we can safely assume that (a) she was at an entry-level dose and (b) she hadn't been taking it for very long. So, not tapering probably won't cause much more than a bit of a headache.

That being said, though, it kind of defeats the purpose to go to your doctor for a medication then stop said medication and fail to keep your doctor in the loop. And, in spite of my first statement here, it's never a good idea to just stop taking a prescribed medication without consulting your personal physician/psychiatrist first. There are some medications that - even at a beginning level dose - can have really unpleasant or potentially dangerous withdrawal effects.

(Sorry, I know this looks like I'm undermining you just a bit, AG.)

sensless, CLE32793 and afunk13 like this.
  20. CLE32793

Verified Gold Member

I'm finding this same situation to be why I'm stressed, I'm sexually frustrated. I have not been able to achieve an actual orgasm and I hadn't really put the dots together. I think its been a fews weeks maybe a month...Unfortunately I've been on lots of meds and my p-doc is tired of me complaining about side effects, I seem to have some wicked ones like tardive dyskinesia in my jaws, that was really scary, anyway she says I have to weigh out the pros and cons and decide then. Well, I'm not sure being sexually frustrated helps my anxiety at all. SMFH And, not to mention the dentist is saying these same meds are causing the dry mouth and rapid tooth decay. We can't win and I'm afraid they don't care.
    I feel y'alls pain, really bad right now. :(