Uk votes to leave european union

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barent, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Barent

Verified Gold Member

Looks like the people have spoken. Watch the markets tank later today. I don't wanna hear any crap from the Brits about Trump, lol, a significant number of them are tired of their nation's problems with too many refugees and immigrants, and other problems so lot of people want change and consider the EU to be not in to their best interests. I don't blame them, but we're all going to suffer to some extent because of this vote, possibly for a long time.

CLE32793, Amature and Dog_E_Ryder like this.
  2. thrillseekeruk

Gold Member

Yes @Barent good point
    I'm in the UK and am watching what little wealth I have plummet in value
    Democracy sucks!!

3. Barent

Verified Gold Member

↑ Hey, I don't blame them one bit for this decision - but it's not gong to come cheap.

4. Nixie

Gold Member

Just bear in mind that the United Kingdom consists of four, separate nations (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales), and the referendum vote was split between the different nations. England and Wales voted to leave, while Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay. This could trigger another independence referendum in Scotland, and Sinn Fein are already calling for one in Norther Ireland as well - to leave the UK and reunite Ireland.

The majority of the people living in Scotland and Northern Ireland are being taken out of the EU against our will. That means our passports are no longer EU passports, among many, many other things. I don't know about Northern Ireland, but today is a very sad day in Scotland - it's like a funeral around here. At least in the Scottish independence referendum, we got to chose our own fate - in this referendum it was chosen for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

So yeah, do be careful when lumping all Brits in together on this one, as it's much more complicated than that, and might possibly lead to the breakup of the UK as we know it.

And considering Trump is here in Scotland today, visiting the golf courses he built with lies and bullying, I feel very entitled to speak about him. The man is not to be trusted, and woe betide anyone who has dealings with that man. Take a lesson from his "ancestral home" of Scotland, as he is now hated here. :p

http://fortune.com/2016/06/22/donald-trump-scotland-golf/

#4 Nixie, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    lucky5338, adam87 and Rhaenys like this.
  5. Barent

Verified Gold Member

CLE32793 likes this.
  6. etaf

etaf Member

A lot of people voted to make a point about the government, rather than the facts about the EU
    A lot of misinformation had been spread around, and believed, i think as things unfold, people who voted to leave, will see this misinformation.
    There is a partition that has to be heard, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324
    The referendum is advisory and not a directive, but i would be surprised anyone will change that now.

7. Englishman

Verified Gold Member

I normally stay clear of political discussions online.

But.........

In my opinion i would have liked to have seen someone neutral giving out the facts. As there was so much miss information on both sides.

We had a referendum in 1975 to join the common market. Which in my opinion was a very good thing. (I was to young to vote back then) I voted to leave the EU. For many reasons. And i did expect the fall in the £ and the stock market. And jobs will be lost. If the vote was to leave. But over time the £ will find it's own level amongst the other curacies. The stock market will recover over time. As will the jobs.

As to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I hope they have their own referendums. And will be able to stay in the EU if they vote that way.

This vote to leave will have repercussions for many many years to come. If we leave.........

CLE32793 likes this.
  8. Barent

Verified Gold Member

Looks like some people wanted to make the UK great again. :cool:

JonJo, Dog_E_Ryder and Englishman like this.
  9. Bigclit

Gold Member

YES. BLOODY YES♥♥♥♥♥

10. Nixie

Gold Member

Yeah, that's what Trump said while visiting the coutry that had the biggest "remain" vote of the four, and the one he screwed over while purporting to be Scottish.

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/24/48335...n-donald-trumps-remarkable-reaction-to-brexit

As for the google search, I'm guessing that was mostly done by people that were drawn in by the evangelical promises of Nigel Farage, who promised everyone a shiny new car and a pony if they voted to leave the EU... The same people who woke up Friday morning to realise Farage only had his own completely anti-EU-immigrant agenda solely in mind (even though he's married to an EU citizen), and that the numbers he made up about millions that could be used to fund the NHS were pulled out of his arse.

Anyway, I do feel the need to reiterate the fact that this vote had a major split between the coutries of the UK. Because England makes up the majority of the population here, England got its way. But don't ever pin this on Scotland. Maybe England wanted to make England "great" again, whatever that means, But Scotland is still a firm supporter of the EU, and I think we might even leave the UK over this.

I've always been a massive Unionist supporter, and I absolutely love my fellow Brits south of the border. But for the first time in my life I think I might support Scottish independence, as we are clearly going in separate directions on this island.

This doesn't mean I have any less love for people like @Englishman , as he knows I love him to bits. It just means that it might be time to part ways on amicable terms, so that we don't have a violent falling out in the future.

I don't know though... I love the UK but I love Europe. I feel like a child of divorce having to chose between two parents that split, and I hate it. It all just generally sucks....

11. Englishman

Verified Gold Member

Nixie

"This doesn't mean I have any less love for people like @@Englishman , as he knows I love him to bits. It just means that it might be time to part ways on amicable terms, so that we don't have a violent falling out in the future."

This is why i dont post very often on political discussions.

I dont have a problom whatever the scottish population wants. I will respect whatever they want. I have friends with all sorts of political views. So i can't see falling out with you. But if you want to part it's up to you :(.

12. Nixie

Gold Member

Oh dear, my English sweetheart, I didn't mean parting ways with you hon, haha! I meant Scotland parting ways with England.

xxxxxxxxx

13. Bigclit

Gold Member

I grew up in Wales. I am a proud Welshman

lucky5338 likes this.
  14. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

It seems the people have picked what they wanted their destiny to be, I can connect with what they are saying. If I lived in the UK, I would have voted to leave as well. Good luck to their new independence. :)

Englishman likes this.
  15. playful pair

Gold Member

I'm in aus so dosent realy effect me although I would like to see the person that decided they would cal it the brexit I'm over hearing about it on the news as well as the US election as we have our own election but at least the campaign over here only lasts 6 weeks the us seems to go for 6 months.....so I guess it dose effect me lol they need to get on with it and sort it out instead of wining about it bloody poms lol

16. lucky5338

Verified Gold Member

As an englishman living in Scotland I am totally appalled at the behaviour of some of my countrymen both at home and abroad. We seem to be heading for mob rule these days with some of our non British population being subjected to verbal and physical abuse. I am truly ashamed at being English. We have been hi-jacked into leaving the European Union by a group of rabble rousers who are now unable to fulfil the promises they made at the time of the referendum.
    We have to respect the vote and get on with life but that vote has stirred up ugly feelings in England and in my adopted home of Scotland where we are being dragged out of Europe against our wishes. :)

17. JonJo

Gold Member

Scotland in a democratic vote voted to stay part of the United Kingdom, a vote which they honoured.
    As a part of the United Kingdom they should therefore honour the democratic United Kingdom vote to leave the EU.

The EU Commission has already categorically stated that even if Scotland and Northern Ireland broke away from Great Britain they would not be allowed to just stay in the EU, or keep any of the 'benefits' of being in the EU, because they would then be seen as new counties and would have to negotiate to become members in their own right, with no guarantee of being accepted. In the period of these negotiations, they would be in 'limbo' with no passports and no currency, having given up the right to the EU passport and the right to use the UK Pound.
    Or would they, for selfish reasons having ignored UK democracy, expect to still have UK privileges until they (might be) were accepted as new EU members?
    And what would happen if they weren't? Would they then expect to be able to come running back to the UK?
    In such negotiation what would they as very small countries have to offer the EU, not forgetting that under the EU set-up they would have to give up any democratic rights to rule themselves or their economies ........... which is what the UK wants to get back and has democratically voted to do.

Scotland & N Ireland should remember that per head of population the UK spends more on them than they do on the rest of the UK, this is why they can have many things that the UK doesn't .... e.g. free university places and no prescription charges for medicines. They should also remember how many jobs UK companies and the UK government provide. Will they be willing to give these up and could they survive without them. Scotland knew very well that they couldn't and that is why they voted to stay part of the UK and it is the reason that N. Ireland has so strongly resisted (despite their 'terrorists') not to become part of a United Ireland.

Wales voted in favour of Leave by 52.5%.

It has happened before that when there has been a democratic vote that went against what the EU wanted that more votes have been held until the EU got the answer it wanted ........ the Republic of Ireland being a case in point.
    This must not happen this time, The United Kingdom must get its Democracy back and not be 'ruled' by a set of un-elected bureaucrats, who answer to nobody and who have run down the EU economy to 'zero growth', with youth unemployment as high as 50% in some countries, not including Greece where it is over 90%.

The United Kingdom democratically voted to be a part of a 'Common Market'; it did not vote to become a part of a European Federation and it has democratically voted that this must never happen.

The United Kingdom is still, despite the EU's interference, the Worlds 5th strongest economy and there 132 counties in the World to trade with other than just 27 countries of Europe and some of them have burgeoning economies and great potentials for trade, once the UK is free of all the EU rules and regulations.
    It might/will be difficult at first but if we ALL pull together we can, with our abilities and will, trade with the World.

The xenophobic term "little England " has being used BUT perhaps with all their 'closed trading' regulations it should be "little EU".

One last point: The Eu Commission announced/admitted that if (?) the UK leaves then the EU will lose 15% of its revenue, isn't there something glaringly wrong were one of 28 members is contributing 15% of the total revenue.

18. Nixie

Gold Member

Heehee, I did find this funny..... It's David Tennant reading out responses to Donald Trump's delusional and very misleading tweet regarding Scotland's reaction to the EU referendum result:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...onald-trump-video_uk_57727c4ee4b08d2c563a002e

(If you want to read more replies, I posted about this earlier in the week, when I was already having a good giggle reading my fellow countrymen's reactions to Trump's tweet. Sometimes I forget how inventively colourful we can be with our language, haha!) :p

http://www.sexualforums.com/threads/the-donald.53805/page-18#post-763837

19. Englishman

Verified Gold Member