True Love - Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by farspark, Jun 18, 2004.

?

True Love - Fact or Fiction?

1. Fact?

66.7%
  2. Fiction?

33.3%
  1. farspark

farspark New Member

Do you believe that there is such a thing as true love (one person out there in the world, just for you to spend your life with) or that true love is just bollocks and all relationships are about people making that best that can with what they've got?

2. jojo

jojo New Member

I personally don't believe in it, but I guess it may be possible. Having been in love with several girls, why would I believe that there is one girl out there that is just perfect for me. I am in love with my current GF, but I think you just make the best of what you get.

jo

3. touchzing

touchzing New Member

"True Love" is a romantic myth, an emotional mist, here today and then evaporates.

4. markx

markx New Member

there is true love but it can be broken

5. touchzing

touchzing New Member

How would you define true love?

6. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

If there is 'true love' then it seems kind of depressing, knowing there is just that 'one' person out there. I think true love is whoever you make for yourself. :)

7. frootloop

frootloop New Member

I believe there is such a thing as true love but I don't think there is just one person for everyone. Sure, I think there are people you are more likely to end up with, but not just one person, as that would involve believing in fate, which I do not.

8. fantasien

fantasien New Member

I went ahead and said fact. But it is very very hard to find it!

9. touchzing

touchzing New Member

I certainly don't believe in the romantic concept of one true love. Ryan, how does one make a person their "true love?"

10. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

As it sounds, if you truly love them with all your heart, body and soul. I don't want to believe in the statement "There is one person out there for you".

11. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes New Member

When my wife and I were going through pre-marital counseling with our pastor, that's one of the questions that was asked: "Is there only one person in the world meant for you and that would make you happy?" or something along those lines.

My answer to that question was that with 3 billion+ women in the world, I was sure that there were countless women out there that I could fall in love with and that would make me happy, but that I thought that none could make me happier than I was with my fiancee, or basically that the things my fiancee did for me made about as happy as I could possibly be.

I'm sure that if I were to date some other women, plenty would make me happy, and that I would fall in love with some of them. But I really don't think that they would be able to love me any better or make me happier than my wife does.

If true love really existed, there would probably not be a divorce rate hovering around 50%, and you wouldn't see all these people getting remarried. By getting remarried, that throws the "true love" argument out the window for at least one of the two marriages, thereby making it a falsification.

12. touchzing

touchzing New Member

I go back to say that the romantic notion of "true love", that perfect person that inspires you to love them forever is a myth. However, I believe you grow to care, honor and appreciate a person - even with their faults and disapoointments and that is love.

13. krimson

krimson New Member

have to say fiction on this one.

to me love is something that can found in places you never thought you could. if someone makes you appy and you work on the love part then yes you can love someone. if you find someone that makes you happy ad you dont work on it then no you or them wont be in love. its all give and take and for the most part love can be between just about anyone if "both" parties want it and work towards it.

i have also been thinking long and hard about this myself since i have been in a few 3 plus year relationships since turning 18 and have been left after all that time. no im not a ass to the women in fact i have done alot of pampering of them so i know im not left over that. but does anyone really know what true love is? i mean some say its butterflies in the gut, well people get those going on a fast roller coaster, is that love? people also say that you just know, well i have to ask this, if people just know then how is lust and love all the time mixed up? to me i think we all live in a lust filled world and the feeling we call love comes with time and building memories with the person. love to me is every emotion rolled into one. you cant love without disliking or hating something about them, you cant without some sadness, you cant without happiness, without being jelous of somethings with them, without pain and hurt, without the good and bad you wouldnt have love. this is just my 2 cents on it, hell i could be way out there on this but its just somethign to think about i guess.

14. mysticgenie

mysticgenie New Member

Lust and Love...very easy to confuse if you don't know what you are looking for.

Love, true love, I believe is as real as the very ground we walk on and as tangable as the very air we breath. It isn't something you can touch, more of something you just know is there. True love between two people is no matter what happens you know that you are willing to forgive and forget anything, any wrong, no matter how big, and that you are willing to accept that people can, do and will make mistakes.

Lust is an emotional desire to be with someone physically. You can have lust in love, and you can have lust without love. Lust without love is nothing more than hot steamy sex. (and I am not knocking that either :brow )

The easiest way for me to tell the difference between lust and love is this...Should something (God forbid :uhh: ) happen to my hubby that he and I could no longer make love, I would still want to be with him. Love transends the physical desire to be intimate, it opens the heart to just want to be with someone in whatever scope you can be.

IMHO.

15. fantasien

fantasien New Member

I think why a lot of people don't believe in true love is becasue we have lost a lot of our old fashioned values and peopple tend to not stick to their relationships anymore during good and hard times. They tend to not work with what they got and try to make things better becasue of lazyness.

16. dabody

dabody New Member

I think 'true love' does exist. I think the problem is that often people marry when true love isn't present or isn't a two way thing. eg. Someone marrying their partner even though deep down they know that person wrong for them but they still stay with them thinking they can change that person. Even in 'good' marriages, couples have to work at their marriage to keep it working. Marriage is a good thing, it's people that F*** it up.

17. -G-

-G- New Member

ok here is my take on this whole true love thing.....

I think true love does exist when you take out all the variables and pressures of life we have today. True love would not care how much money or what kind of house or life the significant other could provide. Or what kind of social status you were in. Our society is geared towards finding someone that makes us financially comfortable first and compatible second. More often that not people have true love relationship that is ripped apart by their fears of the future and money is a big reason. I say look for the person that would be happy with you if you lived in a trailer park. That person will have the ability to look past all the bs and make a connection with you that will be much deeper than any person that is just looking for a partner to live comfortable with. I am actually in a situation right now that has me questioning what type of relationship I am in. Is it a comfortable one with no passion, or is it the real deal?

hmmmm fact or fiction? i would say fiction due to where we are as a society.

18. kbate

kbate New Member

No Such Thing..... You can truly love someone, but it would be a cruel joke of the gods to place only "ONE" person on the planet that was your Perfect match.. but then again. if it were true and only one of 4 billion was perfect, could you imagine the feeling if you did find him/her?

19. itsnikki

itsnikki New Member

I would have to say I believe in it. I know I am a dreamer, but I like to think there is that 1 and only person out there for me...I am hoping the person I am with now is. I think sometimes people start to anaylize True Love so much that they forget to enjoy it. If you think about it we aren't the ones who will ever truly know if we are with the person God wanted us to be with. We just have to start believing in ourselves that we are with the perfect person for us. I think if people tried not to worry so much about work, college, money, cars, and material things there wouldn't be so many devorces like someone else allready said.. If you really think about it, when someone dies or is being born, or a life threatining thing is happening to someone close to you, you stop everything and focus on that one person. I think that is how a relationship should work, but i know it is close to impossible, but in the long run you need to think about what really meant something to you.

I really don't know if this made much sense, it is just some thoughts.

20. bigone

bigone New Member

I certainly do believe in true love.
    Alot of people havent found it or got sidetracked and married other than their true love, Hence the divorce rate.
    But not everyone gets divorce. and then again a lot of
    people stay married for convenience. And divorce is expensive. :ugh