[Ask a Girl] Too heavy of a flow? (Guys beware, it's a period discussion)

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Mittimer, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

Ladies,
    I have a bit of a question and concern to share with you all. I've never really had anyone to talk periods with other then my mom and she always had pain free light bleeding ones so it's pointless to go to her because she'll think I'm dying. I'm sorry if I get to graphic with the details or the questions.

Is there ever such a thing as TOO much a flow? I'm on day 3 right now of the actual flow and I'm bleeding way more then I normally do. To the point where I've actually bled onto my bed (much to my extreme embarrassment)

I normally have light to medium flow so this is just something that kind of gets to me. I'm not getting light headed or losing my color, no dizzyness or nausea or anything of that concerns. I'm drinking plenty of fluids and eating iron rich foods so that I don't get too week.

My questions are, does anyone else here experience extremely heavy flows around this time of a month? Have you always? Was there a time in your life where your flow of periods changed? Disgusting question but valid, do you shed a lot of your lining or clot a lot during your period? Or is it purely just period blood? Do you have painful periods? (I've always had bend over want to throw up and cry for the night period cramps)

Oh..one more thing...what's the best thing to use to get blood out of fabric if it can't be washed? (Ie a mattress or a bean bag bed)

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

I've always had horrific cramps often with vomitting, headaches, and back pain.Things didn't start to get crazy heavy until I had my son 12 years ago. Now, for 2 days out of each month I am housebound because I dare not be away from my bathroom. I have to change a super-plus tamp every half hour or so with clots the size of your fist. How's that for graphic? :ugh

You should let your doc know what you are going through and have yourself checked to see if you are anemic and if you need an iron supplement.

Dunno about the stain thing, I use double pads for backup and wake up several times a night to change my tamp. Haven't had a major accident in ages, thank god.

This just popped into my head, I saw a TV show years ago about sudden, heavy flow and it was because sometimes it is the result of cysts or even a miscarriage that occurs very early in the pregnancy. If I remember correctly, miscarriages of this sort occur in 75% of women and they often have a few during their lifetimes without ever knowing they were pregnant.

#2 Barbwire, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. HardRocker

Gold Member

Hydrogen peroxide. Apply liberally and use a peroxide soaked cloth and rub and rub and rub and rub. Keep pouring it on. If possible work it from underneath the stain too. Exposure to direct sunlight helps while it's oxidizing.

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

CL,
    Graphic enough :p Lol.

The cyst thing runs a lot in the family so I'll have to have them give me an ultra sound to check 'em out.

Seriously though, clots the size of your fist? I'm so sorry. I always get super squicked when I have one the size of a lima bean or something. Sheesh. *hugs*

5. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

My flow is a lot lighter than it was in my teens and early twenties but I've had my fair share of flooding. Lately I've been suffering from painful cysts on my left ovary which last for a couple of weeks then settle to come back a month or two later. My right ovary is behaving the same way as it always did. This is now making my periods erratic and although the flow itself isn't heavier, I have noticed more clotting, especially during the month following the ovarian pain. I've been checked out and the doctor thinks that in my case it may be a sign of peri-menopause.

I've have read what CL said concerning a heavier than usual period often meaning a miscarriage from an unnoticed pregnancy, although stress and illness can also affect our menstrual cycle.

The only time I've had a clot of considerable size was the day after I gave birth to my daughter. A bloody ball the size of my daughter's head dropped onto the floor when I went to the bathroom. I freaked out a bit but the nurse only smiled as she scooped it up and took it away to be checked.

6. Mittimer

Gold Member

I've been going through MAJOR stress lately with general life issues.

Planning a wedding, growing up, trying to afford things, family stress ect ect ect.

7. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

Stress does sound to be the likely cause in your case, Mitt but if might be worth getting the possibility of cysts ruled out.