To PM or not to PM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oldkid, Apr 26, 2014.

1. oldkid

I have been reluctant to PM other members and don't often do it. When I do, I have a reason for not posting my sometimes outrageous comments in open forum. I would rather somebody said "you're an asshole, wrongheaded, etc... directly. I want to do it that way. And I will. If you get a PM from me, I want to whisper sweet nothings in your eyes most of the time, but occasionally be critical. I would hope you would do the same. It's something akin to using the smiley, a hint that it's all in fun. What do you think?

#1 oldkid, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
    CaramelLady and lbushwalker like this.
  2. JonJo

Gold Member

Totally agree.

lbushwalker and oldkid like this.
  3. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I, too, frequently want to PM other users but hesitate to do so. Mostly it is because I often "don't really have anything to say," but like to talk a lot - and I know that not everyone out there wants My Life's Story. As to the "Why?": I want to PM other members to get some of their backstory and get some perspective on Who They Are so as to understand better Why They Post What They Post...

I also totally agree that if someone takes issue with something I post or how I behave on the forums then they should message me directly! It is a rare time that I take offense to pretty much anything.
    Unless it is in a "serious" thread, then my posts are going to be all in fun - I would expect people to recognize that fact. (And, arguably, even some of my posts in "serious" threads are none-too-serious, as making light of things is frequently how I handle a "serious" topic... I'm also guilty of indulging in digressive reply streams.) Most of my posts - if they do not already have about 50 smilies in them - it can be assumed that there are "winks," "oops," "eeks," and "whats" all over the place.

So there's my 2 cents on it... well, actually closer to 17 - I tend to give more than is expected/wanted I think. ;)

luvbug, JonJo and lbushwalker like this.
  4. CaramelLady

If I receive a Private Message I respond. However if the question is tiresome or too personal I will find some way to tell the writer that. On occasion, some are ignored.

Private messages are a great way to get to know someone better or to convey information that you do not want to say in public. I do hold in confidence things told to me in a PM. I feel that is why it is private.

I do send private messages to other members. I believe in being polite, not just here but in my personal life. I was taught and believe that if you cannot say something positive to someone, don't say anything. My private messages are rarely negative, critical, or unkind. Most are an exchange of ideas, pleasantries, etc.

danrb007, AtkCCC, BlueCollar and 2 others like this.
  5. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

I see how it is, CL. You never talk to me privately because I'm not "polite" enough. I get it. :rolleyes:;):p

JonJo and CaramelLady like this.
  6. CaramelLady

I have yet to receive a PM from you. Send it and we'll see ... ha ha ha....
    In truth you are more than 'polite' enough.... :D

10_3XL likes this.
  7. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Now I'm nervous and tongue-tied.:oops: Maybe later.;)
    (Are you sure 'polite' is the word you're looking for?:rolleyes:)

JonJo and CaramelLady like this.
  8. CaramelLady

You tell me.... you started it! Ha Ha

JonJo likes this.
  9. oldkid

Don't we all love air clearing? Especially when somebody has farted!:eek:

luvbug and 10_3XL like this.
  10. JonJo

Gold Member

And we all do that at times ......... don't we oldkid.
    A derogatory term in the UK for a 'grumpy old sod' - is "an old fart" because their grumpiness lingers on.:)

oldkid likes this.
  11. oldkid

You saw my occupation in my profile, didn't you. LOL :D

12. AtkCCC

Gold Member

That's where I stand...Mostly on a personal level.

CaramelLady likes this.
  13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Go for it OK or anybody else!

oldkid and 10_3XL like this.