To All American brothers and sisters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SexyScorp, Feb 24, 2007.

1. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Sorry guys for this strange question....

But what would you define as a "Yank"....my dad tells me during the second world war, all the american soldiers were referred to as Yanks....he told me there was a saying which stemmed from the English guys being jealous. It was "Yanks...over paid, over sexed and over here"....lol

Ive a very good friend in NY and he says "I am not a Yank I am a confederate".....

Can someone explain what a Yank is to american folk....are the certain areas, like the South for example where people would get labelled with this name?

Thanks
    love
    SS
    xx

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

Wai just a cotton picking minute here! That is ass backwards. Folks from the northern side of the civil war were called Yankees, and the Southeners were called Rebels. That is why the baseball team is called the NY Yankees not the NY Rebels. See?

3. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

**hangs her head in shame***

Thanks, guys. I stand corrected :)
    I pulled my post because I won't be pushing along such a silly error.

First one to the paddle may have exact their revenge!.. lol :eek: :spank

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

It's true, in Europe... and most places abroad, americans are called "Yanks" - and it does indeed stem from World War II.

It's a whole different meaning (and War) which separates the American North and South, with the North called Yankees, and the South called Confederates (or Rebels).

'Yank' , in it's original form, was used as a word of contempt. The Europeans were speaking in contempt when referring to Americans as Yanks, and the Southerners were doing the same when referring to those loyal to the Union as "Yanks".

5. cbrmale

Gold Member

We had the same problem during the second world war in Australia, most Yanks were stationed in one city (Brisbane) and this culminated in the 'battle of Brisbane' which lasted for two days and two nights, and had a few casulties. Unlike the UK men who grumbled about the cultural problems, the Aussies really got stuck into things! I am not sure how the friction between the Aussies and the Yanks was resolved, if it ever was.

At the same time MacArthur described Australian soldiers as poor-quality urban slum-dwellers, which didn't help much. This is shortly after the Kokoda track withdrawl, where a thousand or so Australian army engineers supplied with rifles and grenades, but no training, managed to turn back a Japanese army ten times the size. How they did it? I suppose they were fighting for their country, after New Guinea fell Australia was next. Kokoda was the first defeat inflicted on the Japanese.

There is no doubt that Yank in this instance was used in contempt.

6. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

But what would you define as a "Yank"....my dad tells me during the second world war, all the american soldiers were referred to as Yanks....he told me there was a saying which stemmed from the English guys being jealous. It was "Yanks...over paid, over sexed and over here"....lol

The reason i think that the Term yank was uses by the english, is mainly due to the fact i think a lot of the english men were out in war abroad fighting for their country and defending others at the same time, whilst some american warmen were in england sitting back drinking beers offering free chocolate and tights to married englsh women to shag their brains out.....wouldnt you be a touch pissed at that ?
    Its what my grandad used to get annoyed with,his words....Dammed Yanks over there sotting on their arses, drinking beers and swaning around , whilst the real men are out fighting the war....

I cant say if its all true or not...but their were americans in england at the time doing these sort of things...and not having to worry much about getting shot at, and seeing friends getting killed whilst protecting their country..

Think i may have been a bit peeved at that if i was an englishmen during the second world war.

7. Rose

Gold Member

Yep, case-in-point, Kronnie.

the term "Yank" ( and 'damn yankees', etc) is a contempuous word, for sure!

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Yeah for a reason though.....

That was a long time ago though and im sure theres nicknames the americans use for the French and the english....that are not from a friendly meaning of useage hehehe :p

9. Rose

Gold Member

Haha - Don't get me started....[​IMG]

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Roflmao hahahaha......I dont think id want to know.....:p

It is not american people i dislike ...as there are many really cool females and males ive come across from there....what i dislike a lot of the time is the American Gov.

To anyone that is american and reads this , i am not slandering the america people i am not attacking you ( even if you are from texas and love the ground bush walks on ) i just dont like President Bush i think he is a very dangerous individual.....
    "I know some Americans would say your not american you have no right to those opinions, i have as much right in my view though...as Wh ever is in Charge of America is in charge of the biggest super power country that is around at the moment...so its everyones right to have their opinion on this subject as it effects all of us in some way or another.... "

11. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

Pffffft.. you Frenchies have good food and steamy sex down, so you're alright with me. :D

12. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Hehehe rolf...Ya Steamy sex with great food to follow...and maybe a nice bottle of wine....An then more steamy sex :p

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

God damn frogs! :lol

14. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Hey guys

Thanks very much for the info...and no offence about the term Yanks I hope? Its like calling Irishmen Paddys and the English Limeys I suppose...

My mother told me it was amazing how the American lads came to Britian in their droves bringing with them silk stockings, candy and smokes....the English guys were mortified by them because they seemed better at EVERYTHING!!!!

The US has had a great influence over my own life...the connection between our two lands is great isnt it...I really wanna come back soon...some of my best connections are american people....

Yeah i definatlely wanna come back soon and prove that all the stories I hear about American men....

Are TRUE!!!!!!!

LOL!

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Good point, SexyScorp..

I don't find being called a 'yank' or seeing other Americans referred to as 'yanks' particularly offensive. It's not meant to be offensive either.

Copied/pasted from Wikipedia:

The term Yankee traditionally refers to Americans from New England whose ancestors arrived from Great Britain before 1700; by extension it is applied to any resident of the Northeast (New England, Mid-Atlantic, and upper Great Lakes states), to any Northerner during and after the American Civil War, or to other citizens of the United States. In certain Commonwealth countries - notably UK, Australia and New Zealand - "Yank" refers to any American and is sometimes mistakenly applied to Canadians. Internationally, "Yank" is today roughly analogous to "Brit" (someone from the UK), "Aussie" (someone from Australia) or "Kiwi" (someone from New Zealand).

(...)

A humorous aphorism attributed to E.B. White summarizes these distinctions:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
    To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
    To Northerners, a Yankee is a Easterner.
    To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
    To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
    And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Full Article

16. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Glad you aint too hung up about it Puss.....

Although I wouldnt want to use that word....well only to tease one particular person i know...he hates it but i like to hear him get steamed up...

lol

17. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

A1 getting into the groove ......"God damm frogs" :p hehehehe

Heres a wonderful quote from The one the only ...........President G.Bush:

18. Rose

Gold Member

When we visited Europe and Asia, we were often referred to as "Yanks". This would be in the setting of becoming friends with pub patrons, tourguides and the such. All in fun and lightheartedness.

Though it was originally used as a term of contempt, now it's more of an endearing/friendly term, that also shows your homeland (like Puss said).

19. Thorn

Gold Member

I see international soccer headlines from time to time when the artical refers to the US National Team as "Yanks." Usually something like, "Yanks sent home with their tails between their legs." :(

20. Barbwire

Gold Member

I had a chat buddy that was from the south and he would call me a "Yankee bitch" and I would call him "Rebel scum". It was something we'd say to bust on each other a bit, in a friendly manner, not meant as an insult, or to hurt.