Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Maverick, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

What are peoples thoughts on suicide?

I know different cultures are far different in opinions. I'd like to hear the differences.

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Depends on why you do it. When a young kid does it or a mentally unstable person does it, it's just sad. Utterly heartbreaking.

I have lost people to suicide, one of which was not upsetting at all. We know why he did it, we respected him and it and we celebrated his life and moved on.

I fully support physician assisted suicide. Or "human euthanasia" as the case may be. I actually watched a video of it last night, as morbid as that sounds. It was one of the most beautiful, dignified, and peaceful things I've ever seen in my life. Every human has the right to go out with dignity, and that video just made me support it even more.

3. mrcock

Gold Member

the most disgusting act someone can ever do. worst then mass rape, worst mass murder

:lol

4. OverSinged

Gold Member

Honestly? I don't lean one way or the other. If you want yourself dead, then who am I to stop you? I don't understand why you'd want to be dead, though that's probably because I'm agnostic, but it's your choice.

Though the teenage suicides due to bullying make no sense to me either, if you're sad enough to kill yourself, wouldn't you also want some revenge?

5. Maverick

Maverick Member

Ya, cyber bullying to the point it causes suicide....I feel bad for that.

6. BitchN

BitchN New Member

I had two family members commit suicide. One 15 the other 37, to this day nobody knows why. Last year a 17 year my daughter knew did it, this summer a 13 year old that we knew did it. Both hung themselves, their parents found them the next morning.
    I can honestly say I'm not in favor of suicide, it's hard on the people it affects. I believe the people that do it are depressed in some way and emotionally unstable. Not wacko or crazy, but that they have a hard time handling their emotions with situations that life throws at them. It can be bullying or losing a job, or even losing a loved one that sends people into a downward spiral, I am a firm believer in pshyciatry help. Sometimes just talking about what is bothering them will help, or meds can help them stabilize their emotions and help them deal with the problems. Anyway, that's my thoughts.

As far as physician help suicide.......I don't know enough about it to have a opinion.

7. OverSinged

Gold Member

I'm really going to be a callous bastard here, but what's with people and using forms of suicide that could possibly leave them alive?

8. mrcock

Gold Member

+1

finding humor in everything is amazing

:lol

9. sandwich

Gold Member

I guess the prevalence of suicide makes me want to know all the people in my life very very well, so then maybe the signs leading up to suicide would be more noticible.

10. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

HOPE or CHANGE for a better state of mind or getting proper help. Some people have no idea they are dealing with a possible mental illness or setback.

A friend of mine tried to commit suicide 2 years ago by drinking alcohol along with some kind of cleaning solution. Long story short, she got extremely sick and was throwing up and passing in and out, found by her parents, went to the ER, explained her actions to the ER doctor that she was tired of feeling numb and empty inside, and spent a few weeks in an inpatient facility.

Turns out she was bipolar II and in a constant depressed stage and low stage that caused her to have a dark and grim view on life and the world. Now with proper medications and proper medical follow ups, I still have my friend around.

11. footlover77

footlover77 Member

There's nothing out there bad enough to kill yourself over.Life is to short,and precious to purposally shorten your time here.My best friend I grew up with shot himself in the head at 20.He was severely depressed,addicted to heroin,adopted by assholes who never should have adopted him to begin with.I think suicide is a puss way out of things.It's easier to give up,then to stay in the fight of life.Yet,it also takes some real balls to do something you know is so permanent.I just feel that you can always talk to someone,anyone.Hanging in for the fight is much harder then giving up.

12. RideNaked2

Gold Member

I have pondered on this since the post was made. Mainly because I had an Aunt that committed suicide as well as I have been to that dark place myself, once. While I understand where Mittimer is coming from and I don't argue that it can be a dignifying way to go, there are some instances that it is very sad and disturbing to others. I'm a believer that in cases of a terminal illness that person should be allowed to leave this world with the same dignity they came in with. In cases that people are depressed...one thing that everyone needs to understand (coming from a person that has been there), once you have made the decision to take your life it is very very hard to get back out of that state. I'm happy and thankful that I got help. It is very upsetting when a person takes their life for no apparent reason to family and friends BUT, one doesn't make that decision based on what others might think or feel. Once I finally made the decision to take my life, there was a feeling of peacefulness that I hadn't ever felt (that I could remember). It was a long climb back to a healthy me. Some just don't have any or all of the strength and support that it takes, while others just don't want/can't make that climb.

13. taster7734

taster7734 Member

I pretty much agree with Mitt's answer...and the other thing that I would hope that potential suicide's would remember is that their departure makes it tougher on everyone else...they have to reconcile that they failed the one who took their life../:/:/:

14. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I have been down the dark spiral as I like to call it (depression) and was on my way to suicide. Thankfully I have a long time friend who helped me seek help and with a lot of strength I managed to "come back" as it were.
    If you commit suicide because of depression or illness I feel really bad for them. Something is broken inside them and they need help to fix it.

If a person wants to die because of a terminal illness that would cause suffering I would not hinder them.

I'd say my opinion is that if the cause of wanting to commit suicide is something that can be fixed then that person needs help, and fast. If it's non-fixable (terminally ill) then I would not stand in the way.

15. OverSinged

Gold Member

Well, the only suicide I can think of off the top of my was one of my brother's. happened... 2 or so summers ago. Of course, it was suicide by police, that makes it seem better. The newspapers also had a field day with it, apparently he got in a major gunfight with several state patrols after running through road blocks. Or something like that. We don't know for sure, but he's been on all kinds of shit, and we think he had cancer of some sort in his intestines or something.

Watching your father waste away to throat, then brain cancer, then watching your grandfather waste away to cancer tends to make you desire a quicker exit from this life. Half brother, I suppose I should mention, and that the grandfather was on the other side.

16. 12barblues

Gold Member

I am sure there will come a time in my life when I'm ready to go....when that time comes i will go peacefully, hopefully without pain. And without causing pain to the people that love me. I just hope that my mind doesn't go , and that I can make that decision rationally, if or when that time may arrive.