Thinking of a piercing and tattoo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Victus, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Victus

Victus New Member

I'm feeling like I want to get either a lip ring, or a tongue piercing. I really haven't decided which one I want to get though. Kind of a toss up on it. Though if I did get a lip piercing, I kind of want a snake bite. Any opinions? (I have photos of my face in my public album, if you want to see what I'm working with and what might look the best)

I know for a fact I want a tattoo here in the next few weeks. I'm pretty certain I want it on my ankle, maybe both ankles. I'm not really sure what I'm going to get though. Part of me wants to have something that shows just how much of a geek I am. Another part of me wants to put something heart-touching or words of wisdom. In any case, not something to really take lightly, since once I get them, I'm not getting them lasered off.

I mostly just wanted to see what ya'll might think, or if you have any suggestions, ideas, etc. I've been so depressed lately, and this is something I've been wanting to do for myself for awhile. So I figured, why not now?

2. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

First of all I have to say that if you are thinking of getting a tattoo you need to be absolutely sure it's a motif you want and that it's something you will still enjoy having there for the rest of your life. If you have any doubt you should not get a tattoo.

If you want a piercing however I'd say go for it. It isn't permanent like a tattoo so if you don't like it you can just remove it. Also, piercings are cheaper than tattoos so that's a plus too.

As for actual motif, appearance, jewelry or placement that is really up to yourself to figure out what you want. It's your body and if you want to modify it it needs to be your decision as well.

I have tattoos myself but no piercings.

3. backcheck64

Gold Member

I find both disgusting. I'd never hire someone with a visible tattoo or face piercing. But have fun.

4. Texas_Red

Gold Member

That's unfortunate, but hey, your business, your rules.

5. Victus

Victus New Member

I'm a firm supporter of tattoo acceptance in the workplace. Just because people have tattoos don't mean they still can't do a fantastic job. Besides, with a medical discharge hanging over my head, and no work experience outside of the military that gave me that discharge, my odds of getting employed are fairly slim, if the last two years of job hunting is any indication.

Also, ankle tattoos can be covered by pants. Piercings? Clear stud. My buddy had to do that for his job, so no big deal.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

Besides the personal dislike, I deal with a conservative clientel. If you can cover it, and keep it covered, not a problem....but these sleeves and up the neck tattoos, aint gonna fly.

7. Victus

Victus New Member

That's part of my agenda, is trying to get people to quit being so conservative and realize that judging people because of tattoos and piercings is wrong to do. It's like judging someone because they choose one brand of clothes over another. Honestly quite asinine.

8. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

My boyfriend has tattoos covering both arms, and on his legs and chest. Thankfully they can be covered by a nice shirt if we go to a funeral or such. I accept him for who he is but even he knows that some of the specific tats make me unhappy, especially if they are dark in nature. Even after being with him 7 years and being with another tattooed man for 13 years before that, many tattoos still make me uncomfortable to look at, especially on the throat.

I also hate facial piercings, even conservatives ones like the eyebrow, even though my friends have piercings. Some piercings make me cringe to look at. I know a woman in my own age group (possibly a few years older) with several piercings around her lips. I give her due respect but deep inside I can't help thinking that she looks like a nutter.

I can accept a person regardless of what they look like but I don't have to like their choice of body "adornment".

#8 Dragon_Fire, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. Victus

Victus New Member

Liking and accepting are two completely different things. While I'd like for people to quit judging people on tattoos and piercings completely, I know that will never happen. I just really wish more people would accept that people who do choose to get tattoos and piercings shouldn't be discriminated against when it comes to getting employment. We all need to eat and pay rent.

I know it's a personal choice to get tattoos and piercings, and those against the notion would just say, "You don't have to get one, and you can still get a job then!" This is true, it is our choice. However, we shouldn't have to give up our right to modify our body as we see fit just to please employers. They should look at work ethic before appearances.

10. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

While I can agree with you to a point, if dealing the public is part of your job, you do need to look the part.

11. BitchN

BitchN New Member

I personally like tatts, but I believe if your going to mark your body it should represent something meaningful or a mile stone in your life. A friend of mine had his whole back tattooed with a cross in memory of his dad. Facial piercings? Take em or leave em. But don't over do it!!!! We hired a guy once with so many piercings we called him "pin cushion."

I understand where BC64 is coming from......it's not that the employeer has a problem with tatts or piercings, but if your counting on the public for income of your business you have to take in account of who you hire. It' nothing personal......

12. Victus

Victus New Member

And that's one of the problems that need addressing. If your job concerns the public, they shouldn't shun you or your business just because they're what...intimidated? Scared? Disgusted by some ink on skin?

I agree on the meaningfulness of a tattoo though, absolutely. That's why at least one of my tattoos is going to represent the complete and utter geek that I am. Another I'm going to get at a later date is going to represent the hard work and dedication I had to put forth while in the military, and how I grew from those experiences, even if many of them were terrible or painful.

13. BitchN

BitchN New Member

^ When you do get the tat take a picture and show us!!

14. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Have you thought about what you would want tattooed on you? Also I would say go for a tongue piercing. They can be quite erotic. But of course be very aware of where you go for your piercing or tattoo. I've had friends that have gotten infections going to the wrong place for a piercing. Make sure you check them out thoroughly.

15. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I design tattoos for people. I've done designs from small tiny tattoos that people put in well covered sports to exposed skins areas, to massive pieces that cover an entire arm, leg, shoulder, back, chest, etc. My S/O has 3 tiny tats, two on her left shoulder, and one on the right which are always covered up unless she wears a bathing suit which is rare since we don't go to beaches nor do we go swimming much.

I'd like to get something on my upper arm that would be covered by my sleeve easily, but the only problem I have is that I got hair on my arms...entire body...and I don't want to shave my arm and leave a patch just to view/see a tattoo that for the most part will be covered when I'm out in public and only visible when I shower or sleep in bed without a shirt on. Sounds like its not even worth it :lol

16. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

On the whole "accepted by society" thing, you should come live in Sweden. Tattoos are a quite common here now and you see them on people everywhere. Yes, even on people working with customers and people all day.
    For instance I take the train to work every day and a few of the ticket checkers on the trains have large tattoos on their forearms and neck. No one really comments nor cares about it.

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

Ah...no. Much different than a brand of clothing. As time changes, you can change your choice of clothing, with a tattoo, you're stuck for life. And if you've seen tattoos on older people, they don't hold up very well....and if you gain much weight, yeah....NO. I was brought up...tattoos are either ex military, ex con, or white trash. A friends daughter has several, during her sisters wedding, she looked like a crack whore. Sorry, but it really wasn't attractive in the least. Go to the beach...why do you think they call them TRAMP STAMPS?

18. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

No matter how much we idealise about a world where we don't judge people by their appearance, the unfortunate truth is we always will. We judge foreigners because they dress differently to us. We judge the obese as letting themselves go, gluttons, lazy and so on. Blondes are judged to be less intelligent. Short people are overlooked at service counters. Idol judges laugh when someone with less than model looks comes on to sing. It goes on and on.

If you are prepared to limit your future prospects, go ahead get all the piercings and tattoos your heart desires but don't expect the world to change for your benefit.

19. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Very well said Dragon and that's an opinion/outlook I can totally agree with.

20. Victus

Victus New Member

Wow I forgot to check this thread for a little bit.
    I am ex-military, but besides that point, not all tattoos are trashy, or make people look like a crack whore. Sometimes tattoos don't hold up well when you're older, but I've seen some that have held up quite well =o

Not expecting the world to change for my benefit, but for the better of people. I believe it is possible for it to happen. It could take a few generations, yes, but it could happen. Change is possible.

Oh I wish I could go and live in Sweden. Don't get me wrong, I'm patriotic and love 'merica and all that, but I'd love the chance to see more of the world, and I hear Sweden's a pretty nice place to live. I probably couldn't go over there though since I can't afford plane tickets right now, and I'm relatively new to house/apartment hunting, let alone doing it in another country XD; (Unless they got jobs over there, then I'm game!)