The pill

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by crashdown, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown

crashdown New Member

I have a few questions about the pill.

Is it expensive?
    Does insurance cover it?

I'm looking into going on the pill. I have a gyno appointment today and plan to ask my doctor about going on. But, I would like feedback from here to, from people who have actually experienced it and different types of Birth Control.

Any info would be great, thanks.

2. Bluesy

Gold Member

You can get low-cost BC pills through Planned Parenthood, just so you know. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen several years ago and it was around $30/month, so it has to be more expensive now. I believe most insurance companies cover them, but, of course, there's most likely a co-pay.

3. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

How about the 6 mo shots Bluesy:sf

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

Never tried them. I have no idea how expensive they would be.

5. Dreama

Gold Member

Please, do not consider going on the patch. My best friend, who recently went on the pill and off the patch said her gyno found pre cancerous cysts in her uteris and she has to have them removed. Actually, this is becoming quite common, so this isn't exactly a rare thing.

6. schwa'd

schwa'd New Member

I prefer the pill, up till now i was in college and the local planned parenthood took care of me, pills, paps that sort of thing. now that i have insurance, it's covered. they will also give you the shot if that's what you want and a big bag of condoms. (to go with the pills are only for pregnancy speech).
    i was on the shot for awhile, but i have mental health problems and the shot sent me over the edge.
    i also tried the ring, but that was quite the fiasco. i find it on my belly, in the sheets, on time it came off like a friggin ring toss game!! how embarassing for one, and two, that's just not level of protection i'm looking for!

7. crashdown

crashdown New Member

So it costs $30 + from Planned Parenthood? Hmm..

8. schwa'd

schwa'd New Member

the one i went to was on a sliding scale for income...i made $200 a week, so i didn't have to pay, and anytime they did charge they made it well known that they would not refuse services or treatment based on outstanding balance.

9. Bluesy

Gold Member

Oh, no. No, no, I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. That was what I paid at the pharmacy, and my insurance didn't cover them. I'm sure they would be much, much cheaper at PP.

10. crashdown

crashdown New Member

ok, well i went to the doctor today and she was called away for an emergency surgery so a different gyn. took care of me and since she isnt my normal one I felt I should just wait to ask my gyno because she understands my history. But I did have to get an ultrasound because i have been having pains around my right ovary.

Anywho, thanks for all the advice. I know birth control can give you a ton of hormones and such and I dont want to put anything in my body that would really screw up my system.

11. schwa'd

schwa'd New Member

sometimes those pains are from cysts which are often treated with birth control because it regulates the hormones that may contribute to the development of cysts. just fyi.
    a lot of times i wish i could not take bc at all, but i'm in a relationship (meaning i have sex a lot) and i'm adamant i dont want kids. so it's a risk and benefit thing for me.

12. sammi

sammi New Member

Be sure to consider family history, both physical and mental. Taking the pill caused insane mood swings and terrible crying jags for me...really messed up my mental status. Fortunately, I knew to watch out for this, as the same kind of thing happened with my sisters. Talk to your physician and be on the lookout for any weird symptoms.

I have a friend whose pills come from Planned Parenthood; she pays $12 a month for them.

13. crashdown

crashdown New Member

I'm adopted so I dont know my health history. :( But thanks for the advice.

Are the pills form planned parenthood the same stuff as the named brands, but just the generic versions, or do they not protect you as well from pregnancy? I know its a stupid question, but I feel like I should ask.

14. schwa'd

schwa'd New Member

you get it from the pharmacy and it's the same that everyone else would take. same with the condoms...

15. crashdown

crashdown New Member

Schwa'd I think you are right about the cyst. The gyno said she could feel fullness and so she thought it could be a cyst. It definitley hurts and is bothering me.

16. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

When I was in college I got all my gyno visits and birth control for free through my university's health center. Then when I graduated I got them for super cheap from Planned Parenthood. Now I live in Sweden and get them for even cheaper, about $15 for a three month's supply. The most expensive BCP I ever paid for was in Japan. There it was about $30 a month, not covered by insurance, and generally unpopular. The pill has been legal in Japan only since 1998.

17. x_lascivious

x_lascivious New Member

Well I'm currently on yasmin right now and my insurance covers it... a friend of mine is also on yasmin too but she has to pay $25 for it. Back in the day when I was in college I got birth control(ortho-tri cyclen) really easily and cheap from planned parenthood--I believe it was free then. You can also get other forms of birth control such as the patch and the depo provera shot there. I wouldn`t recommend getting the shot though, it is quite a hormone overload and causes a lot of weight gain, that`s what my gynecologist tells me. But I suppose it also depends on the person. Also, the Depo shot is a bit on the expensive side too, seeing as how it`s only a one time shot every 6 months.

18. hazeleyes

hazeleyes New Member

I took the Depo shot several years ago and it made me wicked. It made me be someone that I'm not.

19. crashdown

crashdown New Member

Oh, how so?

20. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Oh, don't even get me started about the Depo shot. It made me gain weight, completely took away my sex drive (effectively defeating the purpose of taking birth control), gave me migraine headaches, acne, and took away my periods for the entire nine months I was on it. It's evil, brutal, wicked, stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.