The Pill

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Ryna, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Ryna

Ryna New Member

My gf is considering going on some sort of birth control...she heard about the ring they tie to your ovaries or something like that..and also the pill.

Are there pills that are better than others..her main concern is water weight and not shutting down once she stops the pill.

2. Caitlain

Caitlain Banned

LMAO! That's a new one.

3. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Okay, the nuvo ring, I believe is the name, and while I don't know all the details, the commercial in the very least does insinuate that it is placed around or very near the cervix. Let's not pick on lack of education, there are plenty of other people here who need that side of us.

Ryna, these are questions your girlfriend really should discuss with her doctor. There are many variable. Weight, activity, family history, does she smoke, etc. I commend you for being involved in the decision, and thus taking some sort of responsibility. Her doctor really is (or should be) the most trusted source of information on this.

4. Caitlain

Caitlain Banned

The cervix and the ovaries are nowhere near each other, though (relatively speaking).

The ring goes into your vagina, and is, ideally, pushed to the back near the cervix. So long as it is in the vagina it will work, though, regardless of where it is in there.

http://www.caitlainscorner.com/content/view/333/64/

5. Ryna

Ryna New Member

Has anyone heard of or used the IUD procedure? there's a copper one that lasts for 10 years(no hormones), and the other 2 formsof it release hormones.

6. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

I realize that. However a 21 year old boyfriend who doesn't know a whole lot about internal anatomy and physiology may not (apparently). That was my point. I was merely trying to support the possibility that, as a ring, coupled with the confusing commercial, someone might believe that it is indeed placed AROUND something.

Ryna, again, I urge you and/or your girlfriend (whichever one reads this) to discuss the options with a physician. There are far too many variables. For every person that you hear who applauds a method, you will also find a critic. At 21, is she seriously considering a birth control option that will keep her from becoming pregnant for ten years?

7. Ryna

Ryna New Member

gf:

I researched the iud copper thing.. it says it lasts upto 10 years, but can be taken out at any time and immediatly after you can get pregnant. Unlike with birth control pills, which when I read, it said it may take monthsss to a year to be able to get pregnant. I'll definatly go to a physician and see what they say. But I like doing my research before hand as well.

8. Caitlain

Caitlain Banned

IUDs are NOT recommended for women who have not had at least one child already (or that have more than one sex partner). Keep that in mind.

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Just a note of caution about the IUD. It is extremely effective but it doesn't always work. My mom had one and still managed to get pregnant with it. She and my dad were both surprised. He was her only sex partner and she hadn't had any kids yet. Also if you're thinking about getting one make sure you don't have any allergies to copper.

10. Ryna

Ryna New Member

Her bf:

Kinda funny you mentioned the copper..if you watch the medical show House, which is my favorite show may I add...there was an episode where this girl was dying and they couldn't find out why...and saw the copper cross in the xray they gave her..she was allergic to copper and was being copper poisoned over the years and it finally hit her bad...

Felt like throwing that in lol

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

:lol That's indeed where I got that important safety tip from. House, MD is one my favorite shows, too. :) Hugh Laurie is brilliant.

12. Ryna

Ryna New Member

HAHA yea...show is amazing.

13. Ryna

Ryna New Member

GF:
    Hmmm.. I wonder why you need to have at least 1 child to be able to have the IUD? Weird.

What does everyone on here use?? I hear the patch is bad ...pills?

14. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I've been consistently happy with the pill. One time I tried the Depo Provera shot and it was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

15. pirouette

Gold Member

My husband's vasectomy worked well! :)

16. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

LOL. Indeed. I'm "fixed" as well. Prior to that I utilized the pill for many years. The first time I went off of them to try to become pregnant it took some time, but there were other factors. The second time I quit taking them in November and found out I was pregnant right after Christmas.

17. pirouette

Gold Member

So does that mean you got pregnant on the pill? I have 2 friends that got pregnant on the pill. :eek

18. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Both of my kids were conceived the first month my wife went off the pill. I was hoping it would take awhile, since the sex was frequent for a couple weeks anyway.

Any of the pills or shots need to be taken under the supervision of an MD. My wife nearly died when she first went on the pill (with her previous husband), and an ex of mine had all kinds of problems when she took the Depo Provera shot.

19. Bluesy

Gold Member

Everyone I've known who used/uses BC pills loves them. *shrugs* I've used Ortho Tri-Cyclen and never had problems with it. In fact, it cleared up my skin. But that doesn't mean it would work equally well for your gf. It's sort of trial and error.