"the one"? believer or bull crap?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by little_tiger, Oct 1, 2003.

1. little_tiger

little_tiger New Member

is there such a thing as a "soul mate" or do people just get lonely in a certain stage in their life and settle for the next person who shows an interest?

2. archer_007

archer_007 New Member

While I dont feel that people just "settle" for what they can get, I dont feel that there are neccestally "soulmates". I dont think their is only one person for each other person. If this was the case, very few happy relationships would exist in the world.

3. little_tiger

little_tiger New Member

well, do you think fate exists?

4. sweeetest

sweeetest New Member

i believe in soulmates as i have been with the same man for 13 years and couldnt imagine being with any one else, we have been through everything he has even moved to another country when he was 16 yet still some thing brought him back to me. i believe for some reason we were ment to be together and nothing was gunna stop that from happening.as for the comment very few relationships that were happy would exist really how many do you know that are perfectly happy?

5. Tommys_hot

Tommys_hot New Member

I believe in chemistry between 2 people, I've felt it with 2 out of 7 girlfriends I've had over my 45 years. You just know they are "the one" then they dump you for someone else.

6. garberj

garberj New Member

I totally think fate brought my husband & I together! Of course, we've had our ups and downs (like every couple)...but I know God brought us together and things worked out. Everyone thought we were way too young, that my husband was too old for me (he's 8 years older) and on and on. But it doesn't matter what others say...if you're in love- then you're in love. Everything happens for a purpose and there is 'that special someone' out there for everyone.

7. Donia

Donia New Member

I used to believe in soulmates when I was younger. Now, I believe that there are several people out there for everyone who could technically fall into that category. My husband believes we were "meant' to be together. I think that's sweet, but I just don't know if I think that way.

8. Godiva

Godiva Member

I believe there are soul mates, but i also believe there are quite a few out there. I think probably 1 in every billion people are perfect, which are about 6 people world wide!
    So, yeah, I'm lucky i found mine! The way in which i met him is so random, there is no other explanation than fate!!!!
    Everything in my life happened so that i could meet him. I firmly believe that. And i also firmly believe that i could marry probably 2 million people and not be miserable, but this one guy, and i'll be blissfully happy (with normal ups and downs of course!).

There are HEAPS of people I'm compatible with and would be attracted to etc...but, I truly believe there is probably one other person better than current partner-but he would live in southern Arabia and I'd never ever meet him through normal circumstances and probably not speak his language...no one is perfect and SO could improve in one or 2 areas but i do accept him as he is and don't want him to change, i love him dearly-as he is!

my 2 cents!

9. enz660

enz660 New Member

enjoy the moment my friend. I have been around. There is a such thing, but its temporary. Nothing lasts forever....nothing. Not even you.

10. Trond

Gold Member

I am sorry, but I find the notion of a "soulmate" or "the-one-and-only" a bit unrealistic. I have spoken to people who are convinced that Fate will bring "the one" into their arms one day. It sounds romantic, but think about this: what about all the millions of people who end up in arranged marriages (Indian subcontinent, Africa, South-East Asia etc.). Some of these may turn out pretty well, but others are stuck with shitty partners for the rest of their lives. Where are their "soul mates"? Does it even matter? Of course not. They never had the chance to even look, so "fate" had nothing to do with it (or their fate was to have a poorly matched partner).

I have been married for seven years now, and we're doing pretty well. We have our differences, but we have a history together now, and we care about each other, so we'll be fine. "Soul mates"? I don't think so. Love? yes.

11. Mittimer

Gold Member

I much prefer the red string theory. It's in my signature.

12. Lucky

Lucky New Member

No, never just settle for the next person that shows interest, that is a recipe for failure. You will know it when the person is right for you. I do believe in soul mates but there can be more than one out there. But if you settle for someone less, you will never find the one that will make you happy. Just have to remember though, noone is perfect, if you expect that you will be disappointed. We are all human with our faults.

13. Mittimer

Gold Member

It seems like you're actually saying that to someone.
    Were you or was this just your response to the thread in general?

14. Lucky

Lucky New Member

I was just reponding to post number one in this thread, the original question, hon.

15. Mittimer

Gold Member

Thank you for clarifying :)

16. madrox0311

madrox0311 New Member

i think the idea of a soul mate is a bit ridiculous (my idea of soul mates being if there were a single person made specifically for one other person and they were meant to be married and live happily ever after). if that were the case, what happens to the poor bastard who lives in montana and never finds his soul mate who happened to come onto the map in cuba? this would also struggle to explain people who never marry or reproduce. and something would have to make people soul mates, like a god or some other deal, which i'm not convinced exists. perhaps the tooth fairy is responsible

17. NedF

Verified Gold Member

I'm with you on that! The one and only woman that called me her soul mate turn out to be nuts.

Our relationship start out so close very quickly. Sex was absolutely incredible. 3 short years later she is screwing around (men, couples, lesbian). I started suspecting something and a friend of hers confirmed it.

I dumped her faster then I could get tested for sexual diseases.

Did I mention the sex was great?

18. Trond

Gold Member

:D lol

19. HorneyHarleyChic

HorneyHarleyChic New Member

Right now going with. Bull! Lol since I'm 36 and single been in all the wrong relationships. If we all have so many soul mates wouldn't we all be happily married?

20. HardRocker

Gold Member

Two people who love each other will learn the ins and outs of what makes the other tick; what makes them sad and happy, contented and edgy, etc. So I think people in a relationship that's nurtured by both partners over time become soul mates. I don't think any person you may or may not ever meet is automatically a soul mate. You have to make those things happen.