The "L" word... a little help?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by dazed-confused, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dazed-confused

dazed-confused New Member

Hey all,

Been a very long time since I've been on this board. I'm currently in a relationship, and I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion she is falling in love with me and going to want to hear the L word soon enough.

The problem is, I may or may not feel that way at the moment. My biggest concern is her saying it and not being able to reciprocate. It is a serious relationship, and I'm her first for pretty much everything sexual. It took awhile for her to open up and trust me, but now its a very healthy relationship.

To clarify, I like her a lot and she's likely the best girl I've ever met/dated that is suited to my personality, shared interests, intelligence, etc.

What do you think the best route is here? Is it *wrong* if she says it and I say it back without perhaps 100% meaning it? Don't get me wrong, I truly do care for her -- and I'm almost certain she would be heartbroken if I were to not respond in kind.

Tips? Thanks in advance....

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

DO NOT TELL HER YOU LOVE HER! Ya dig? Don't even entertain the idea of it unless you feel it. Don't be a douchebag, man!

If she says it to you, you don't have to parrot it back to her. Do not lie to her just to save yourself from an awkward moment or to keep her from getting hurt feelings. She should be mature enough to deal with the truth and if she isn't, do ya really want to stay with her?

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

If you think you're getting there, tell her, "I think I'm getting there too, but I want to be sure."

4. shvdmlnj

shvdmlnj New Member

Always say what's in your heart man, but be prepared for the consequences. Life is too short to not take the occasional risk. Be prepared to handle either answer though, like an adult. (not trying to be condescending...)

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

It is not unreasonable that both of you didn't go Ding; I'm in love, at the exact same time.