The Health thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by backcheck64, Dec 10, 2011.

1. backcheck64

Gold Member

Since we were asked to leave Mitts thread.

Lets carry on here.

A few facts

Only 1.8% of obesity is actually medically uncontrolable. The remaining 98.2% of overweight people are that way because they refuse to work at proper diet or deal with issues.

A bit over 60% of the US poplulation is overweight, approx 33% are morbidly obese.

The average dress size in 1993 was a size 8....it's now a 16 and expected to reach 20 by 2020, these are AVERAGE sizes.

The US heath system, along with many others are being crushed by heath issues due to weight...the excesses of it.

2. Kermit

Gold Member

33% "morbidly obese" are we talking about just clinically obese or what we envision as totally obese? Okay bad question since you thought that Daria lookin chick was large..i mean are we talking about clinical obese or 300-400 pounds obese?

3. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I hate the people who say they have a glandular problem or some bullshit like that. Some people actually do, but most people don't. Next time someone tells you their obesity is medical, ask them when the last time they worked out was.

Even most medical conditions can be controlled with proper exercise. I had a friend who was a total jock in high school and then got thyroid cancer. He got it removed, but gained almost 100 pounds. He still exercises and lost 50 of it, he still looks better than the fat shits I see at Walmart. I've heard a bunch of fat people talk about their thyroid and it makes me want to go off and bitch at them about my friend. His thyroid was much worse than any of theirs.

I have no problem with people indulging. I've taken enough drugs to kill charlie sheen and food is like a drug to some people, but don't try to pass it off as some medical condition when people actually are suffering from those medical conditions and you are just a lazy glutton.

Also, there is no such thing as genetically fat. You can be genetically predispositioned to being heavy, but exercise counteracts that, and genes cant make a person 300 pounds.

#3 ninja08hippie, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. CosmicEye

Gold Member

ok so alot of people call 20 pounds overweight obese. Ive heard in at school and from doctors. Thats fucking stupid. Obese to me is someone who is 400 lbs, has trouble fitting in their car, fitting through doors, and eats 14 Big Macs a day.

Its disgusting how fat our nation is today. There are more and more fat kids than ever before. And speaking of fast food, it really pisses me off when a fatty obese person orders 3 meals off the menu for lunch and gets a diet coke, LIKE A DIET COKE IS GOING TO HELP YOU FAT FUCK. Im sorry but I have a huge hatred for people that are that fat, but I do have sympathy for those that have an actual medical condtion believe it or not.

People that are a quarter of a ton and people that want to be the fattest person in history (there are people like that that want to be the biggest ever), deserve to die a slow and painful death. When it gets to the point where you dont know where the tiities start and end, or you cant even reach your penis let alone even see it, die already so that all the food you eat isnt wasted in your fat bedridden body. Fatass motherfuckers that I have experienced are snobby assholes and always refuse to look in the mirror and admit it. Good luck trying to be a part of society. /rant.

5. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I don't think 20 pounds overweight is obese, to me that's just heavy (for a full grown man, not a kid.) Especially older people, getting a little gut comes naturally with age. My father has one and he runs 5 to 10 miles a day.

If an adult makes the choice to be fat and indulge, I see nothing wrong with that. I hate the parents who feed their kids nothing but sugar. Sugar is addictive and deadly in massive amounts, to me that's like giving your kids a cigarette.

These kids should be taken away from their parents
    [​IMG]

I've seen a few reports recently of social services stepping in for morbidly obese children. In my opinion we need more of that.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

It depends on your height, but basicly it starts about 225 to 250. Dramatic damage happens to your health starting at 25 to 30 lbs overweight. If your young, you may not notice...but it will hit you big time, especially in your 40s and 50s when it's much harder to take it off. We've become accostomed and accepting of the girth of America. Those actresses and while some of the models are anorexic, many are what one should strive for. Since we've become so sedentary, it means you have to work a lot harder.

7. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I've dated several models, most are not anorexic. Professional models tend to be very healthy. Since they tend to work out several hours a day, most of them would eat as much as me.

8. hornyscot

hornyscot New Member

hello back ckeck64, i find your comments and opinions highly offensive and i assure you i am not alone, its NOT you business if someone is overweight/underweight/fat/slim/or anything else you dont approve of, you are brave behind the relative safety of the internet, who do you think you are or gives you the right to insult or berate others, no one on here is perfect and that includes you, for the record, i am not overweight. this is a sexual site for adult discussion on sex related matters, if you are so concerned or offended by overweight people, take it somewhere else.

9. Northside

Gold Member

I'm sorry, but I guess I don't see how Bad Check's comments were offensive. While I have personally found some of the U.S. government's statistics to be very innacurate, the point is well taken. A lot of people here are overweight and do sit around too much. It is bad for both our general health and our sexual health so I think it's a relevant topic to discuss here. I have been known to gently suggest excercise programs to my close friends who seem to be letting themselves go. I have never lost a friend because of it. They seem to know that my motive is to suggest something that will improve their life, not to gloat over my physical state or insult them.

I take an old club brother to lunch more than occasionally. He has diabetes and didn't do everything he could have to control it. I take him to lunch because he's now blind and on dialysis three days a week. I wish he'd have done more to keep himself healthy. He's a great guy, but we all know he cut his own life short and we are going to miss him.

10. backcheck64

Gold Member

OK, let me preface it, if you are in the US, it's my business. It's causing health care to become unobtainable. The rates of diabetes and heart disease are skyrocketing. I don't go the the theater anymore because someone next to me is spiilling over into my seat. I'm stating medical facts not opinions. I work out, take care of myself...but I'm in the minority. And it's posted in the BEANERY AND LOUNGE which is open to anything, not just sex. If you don't like it, DON'T READ IT.

Sorry about your friend Northside, but he's what I'm talking about, his issues are jacking up heath care costs...and he's only one of over 100 million in the US.

11. Essene

Gold Member

The technicalities of one's health exacerbating vary, as I've said, from person to person.

I don't see the problem with someone being fat if that's what they wish to do with their lives. I don't care if someone decided to commit suicide, unless they're my friend and even then it'd be difficult for me to completely hate the idea, or not. Just the same, weight is of no consequence to me.

Do I think they're lazy and moronic? Yes. But there are moronic people every where. So, in short, who the fuck cares? The monetary burden will arise regardless of a healthier society. Also factor in that any economy and how it fluctuates is relative. Si non, tunc.

I don't agree with you. Any ones business becomes any ones else's the second it affects something that they, too, share including merely seeing them outside. however, as I said earlier, economic availability, in terms of health care, is relative and would aptly ebb and flow.

#11 Essene, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  12. cbrmale

Gold Member

Australia is the second-most overweight nation in the world, per-capita, followed by Britain and Canada (notice a pattern?). I think that New Zealand is in there as well.

I also take it as my problem, because it's my taxes paying for these medical conditions. Also, commercial aircraft are now carrying more fuel because the combined increased weight of passengers has raised fuel consumption! True! So I pay for overweight with an expensive ticket? And when you're on board, as was rightly pointed out, you get crushed by the person next to you. And how many other examples can we collectively think of.

I wrote and had published a novel set in the 1920s, and to get descriptions right I went to the national library here and studied dozens of street photos of that era. What stunned me was how slim they were. So I went forward to the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s, and it was much the same. Excess weight didn't start until the 1990s, so it's very recent.

We have a number of issues to deal with. First up, I believe business is to blame. Many are expected to work long hours and unpaid overtime in order to keep a job, and this makes them time poor. It's all too easy to buy something on the way home from work, having slaved 9 or 10 hours already, rather than cook something healthy. And if you're time poor and spend hours a day on top of that commuting, how hard is it to find the energy to exercise? It would do us all good if corporate greed was reined in. In Europe, say, they don't work these hours, and they stop for an hour at lunchtime and go out and have a proper meal! And in France or Spain or Italy, you don't see many fat people.

A problem we have in Australia is an over-protection of our local farmers through quarantine restrictions, which makes healhy fresh food extraordinarily expensive. It would be nice to be like London or Paris or Moscow where fruit and vegetables are cheap and take-away is expensive, rather than the other way around! Our weekly grocery bill to eat healthy, is horrendous. When I stay in an apartment in London or Paris, I am amazed by how cheap good food is.

I think there's more to the obesity epidemic than just loss of self-control, and I would really like to see a concerted effort to improve individual's own-time allocation so they have the energy to cook, and to exercise. I would like to see action to make good food cheap and bad food expensive, and also think it's about to to be confrontational about the effects of weight (such as we have been with road accidents and smoking). Some of the comments on the two threads here have been about denial and individual's choices. Excess weight is like smoking or drinking too much, and it's about time it was treated as such.

If collectively we don't do something it's going to get much worse, and healthcare costs won't bear thinking about.

13. Essene

Gold Member

Every ten to thirty years the market (which includes health care, and other socialized institutions) naturally adjust for inflation.

What does any of this hubbub matter any ways? Fat people are going to be fat. There will always be poor, there will always be malnourished, and there will be the obese.

14. cbrmale

Gold Member

I don't understand the inflation comment. The cost of healthcare in Australia is growing at three times the rate of inflation and even higher in the US.

As regards there always being obese, re-read my post when I researched my novel. I wanted to get a feel for clothing and fashions as well as streetscapes, and noticed there were virtually no obese people in those streetscape photos, and not until the 1990s did obesity become visible. That's not 'always', that's the last 20 years.

15. Essene

Gold Member

Regardless of how much the cost of healthcare is in comparison to inflation, facets adjust. Inflation often inhibits cost of living. The price of chicken in the US is going up as is the price of gas (slowly, but surely). I'm sure you're savvy enough to prognosticate the math. Most anything is getting more expensive and with some commodities in less demand, the gdp will fluctuate as well. If you want to look at health care, in terms of a nationally economic risk venture, you should look at the whole picture and how each part of the integral whole interacts. You are solely looking at one trend and it's rather esoteric. It would be like eschewing people from going to the beach because our grain resources were severely limited. Why? Because the amount of sea birds has increased and because people feed grain based products to birds who frequent the beach. Without a larger picture, it is impossible to predict any market change (even that of healthcare and the burden that will be placed on body politic (forced) investors.

It is always. If you've heard of a painter by the name of Ruben, you would know this. A pandemic and a natural occurrence are quite different but still present my use of the word "always" as correct.

16. backcheck64

Gold Member

It's been proven and any medical orgaization or doctor will tell you it's obesity that's driving healthcare costs through the roof. Look at the damn TV...all of the weight loss programs is getting out of hand...not that the US needs to loose a ton of weight.

Like I've said, the average dress size in 1993 was an 8....it's now a 16. My wife has a hell of a time finding clothing, everything is size 12 and up. You never saw a size 24 in the 80s and early 90s in regular stores, now they are all over the place...and 2xl was the largest shirt, now 5xl are common. Wake up, the US is full of OBESE and lazy people with crap eating habits.

17. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Essene Ill have to agree with Backcheck and the novel writer 100% (Ninja? sorry on the last page). Maybe its because you dont live in the US but there are fat people everywhere. Like that fat kid in McDonalds pointing, probly asking if someone ganna eat that. Its fucking sick to see and its probly alot more common than you think. Everything that has been said is true. Fat people that take up 2 seats on a plaine have to pay for 2 seats. I see nothing wrong with that (paying for 2 that is), but they had tried to fight it some years back. Shit, even like 2 weeks ago, some kid in early elemntary school in Maryland was taken out of school because he was too fucking fat. He was taken away from his mom and put in a foster home I believe.

There are tons and tons, and tons of weight loss products out there from diet herbal pills, to Atkins, to the shakeweight. Weight loss programs and products are a money maker, I would believe in the billions/year if I heard it. Theres always a commercial about something that you can take to lose weight and still eat triple choclate cake without worries. Face it, you can hear the world getting fatter if you listen.

I mean take a look at Man vs Food (great show btw). But look at how much food they servefor 1 person. 7 lb plates of cheese, grease, and gravy, and people can actually eat all of that. Or how about that one sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. 2 fucking glazed donuts as buns with a patty in between. Come the fuck on, and people wonder why they look like a fluffy pillow. I cant even understand how people can eat a triple stack from Wendy's.

And Scot, I think you may have been referring to me. I admit I think when I posted that I was pissed about my day that day, but this is important and some things need to be said. I hate trying to avoid the elephant in the room. I am sorry to offend but thats my opinion and how I feel. People that are so overweight meaning 100's of pounds, and do nothing about it or even purposefully continue to gain weight, is a waste of life to me. The parents that allow that to happen and encourage it are no better. And yes its Gen Chat. You are free as well as all of us to post whatever you'd like about the topic.

18. backcheck64

Gold Member

Furniture, auto, and casket makers are already making seats larger because of the FAT epidemic. Being 20lbs over is one thing, but over 30% of the us population is 100 to 400..yes 400lbs overweight. Visit a US WalMart, you'll see tons of them. Stores stock size 24 clothing and 5XL but you can't find a size 0 or 2 anywhere. That's sad...hell, it's hard for my wife to find anything under a size 8.

My wife is the assistant Administrator and MA for a medically supervised weight loss program at a HHHC approved medical center here. They have a waiting list. Look at the shows on TV, Extreme Makeover, Biggest Looser, etc... The US is VERY FAT. Most that go through the program my wife oversees get off almost all of their medications, especially for diabetes and high blood pressure...if that doesn't tell you FAT is bad, what will. I'm all for taxing high sugar foodstuffs, any clothing over Large or size 8, etc. And I totally agree on the amounts of food...even if I could get past the taste, I couldn't eat anymore than a single at Wendy's much less a double or triple. Of course fast food is a HUGE problem in the US weight issue. HUGE calorie loaded bags of food with little taste and tons of sodium. Why not just put a bullet in your head.

There are kids in my daughters middle school, 6th through 8th grade, that are 250+lbs. There was a kid in her 5th grade class that was 227lbs, he has since been expelled for sexual harrasement. No my daughter isn't a stick, but she's very muscular and very active. Both my son and daughter are goalies on a travel A level hockey team, both play lacrosse on travel teams, both play golf and we walk the course, she wins most of the track competitions for her school...and she can kick the crap out of all but maybe two of her hockey teammates..she's the only girl on the team.

Lets face it, the US is very FAT and very LAZY.

19. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Most likely.
    [​IMG]

20. backcheck64

Gold Member

I'm sorry, that's child abuse and the parents should be charged as such.