The earth moved

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meee, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Meee

Gold Member

Was it good for you too?

2. GreyGoose

Gold Member

Funny how some people in the place I work felt it others didn't. My SO texted me to tell me our house shook

3. Gearhead

Gold Member

We moved in Connecticut

4. 33stack

Gold Member

ditto in maryland!

5. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Shook a little, figured it was Cowboy Lover having an orgasm

6. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Holy crap. I couldnt wait to post. I was in class on the 4th (top floor) of the building when it happened. Ok so class was about to end when the floor started slightly vibrating like a big bus was outside or something fell on the floor below us. Then a second later, it got sort of violent and the entire builnding was really swaying back and forth pretty good, you could feel the building move. Everyone in my classroom was quiet and looking at each other when I said "Yo, is that an Earthquake!?". I looked outside to see the lightpoles swaying as well. Then we evacuated and went home.

Freaking AWESOME! Ive always wanted to feel one and I finally have. Ok Hurricanes: Check. Earthquake: check. Up next is a tornado.

7. pbs

pbs
    Gold Member

I live in tornado alley and trust me, you don't want to feel one of those.

8. CosmicEye

Gold Member

See I think fear is fun. Like today as the freakin building was swinging an inch or 2 back and forth, I pictured the floors collapsing. When I got outside I kept laughing to myself that that just happened. It was wild and Im still excited about it. I would like to be in a storm cellar undergound, with a window, and witness a tornado go across it. I wanna feel the wind, hail, and the fear of "its coming right for us!"

I would love to be in a bank and robbers come in with full automatics and rob the place. Its scary as fuck but when its over, it brings me pleasure and laughter and a sense of near death excitment.. like skydiving. But Im ganna shit myself if they start shooting people one by one,.. or if the parachute doesnt open.

Btw I forgot Blizzard in that list: check

9. backcheck64

Gold Member

Eh, you got a hurricane heading your way, don't get greedy. I live in tornado alley, a bit north and east of Joplin, about 50 miles from Sedalia, both ravaged by tornados this year, wifes supervisor's brother died in a tornado up by Mexico MO three years ago. And we live in fairly close proximity to the New Madrid fault. We were in hurricane Opal in 1995 up in VA when it rolled through. I'll take a cane over a nado or a big quake anyday.

10. Mittimer

Gold Member

I didn't feel the quake as I'm in Florida. Only once that I can remember did I ever feel a quake, and it was INCREDIBLY minor that just vibrated the house and road. Scared the shit out of everyone though. This was when there was a quake in the center of the ocean that sent shocks all the way to us.

Anyway, in regards to the love of fear and wanting to deal with a tornado? No, you really don't. I've been through them twice. I remember the fear of all of my family members being dead after the tornado's wiped out huge chunks of my town.

I walked out of my front door wondering why it looked like there were cops outside flashing their lights. Needless to say, I saw the spinning and it touching down. I saw everything. My ears popped, it felt like I was almost going to pop because the pressure was so bad.

Thankfully it didn't do too much damage to our house, but it destroyed the buildings right across the street from us. There was no tv, phone lines were down. I was FRANTIC trying to get a hold of friends and family.

Most of the time, Cosmic, you never have a warning for it. Here in Florida? Most of our tornado's have hit late at night. 2 or 3 in the am, making everyone unaware of what's coming for them.

It's terrifying and not something I'd wish anyone go through.

11. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Yeah thats the bad part of it that I dont want to experience. That is the bad part in losing everything you had and that sucks. I can barely handle every time I lose a phone with all these dam numbers that Ill never get back. A wallet is worse.. A house would be hard to look at. I'm sorry bout that part.

I imagine myself on a farm where the neighbors are miles away. Just a throw away house if I had money like that. Concrete reenforced wall with a horizontal bank style steel door, but with just the hing part no combination needed, undergound with 2 exits 100 feet from each other, and of course a window or windows in roof of the tunnel. Kinda like a test field. It also may work wonders in the zombie apocolypse.

12. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Actually felt it yesterday too, just assumed Fort Bragg was doing training. Just thought it was weird it lasted about 20-30 seconds. Next up Irene but I think its gonna stay east. Either way I'm headed to the beach tomorrow to board up the sis n laws house

13. igor

Gold Member

Hurricanes you can plan for and take steps to protect your property as best as you can, then evacuate. With tornadoes there is little if any warning and they can be far more destructive as any hurricane. I have been in a vehicle that was lifted off the road during a tornado. Luckily I did not have to change my underware :)

14. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Let us not forget the victims of the earthquake. This guy will never get that lost game back.

[​IMG]

15. backcheck64

Gold Member

WHile the damage is more contained, nothing survives the damage of a tornado. The winds in Joplin were around 200mph, not 110 with Irene. While Irene covers a larger area, there was nothing left but debris in 1/3 of Joplin.