The cost of gasoline in Europe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, May 6, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Okay, I don't drive (thank goodness) so I don't pay much attention to the cost of gasoline.

However, in the interests of silencing the whining of Americans about the "high" price of gas in their country (like that would ever happen) I did some research and a few conversions.

Right now gasoline/petrol costs about 11 SEK (Swedish Crowns) per liter where I live.

1 gallon = 3.78 liters

3.78 x 11 = 41.58

41.5 SEK converted to US dollars = $6.14

Gasoline costs well over $6.00 a gallon here in Sweden and most everywhere else in Europe, so those of you living in the US should consider yourselves lucky.

2. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

for europe thats still pretty cheap Puss

England it is nearly $8.50 per gallon
    here its about he same price as sweden.

America gets it very nice and dirt cheap :p

But thenagain the wages are lower and the cost of living all round is cheaper in america

where as europe gets paid a high wage , but everything costs more.

another example not gas but ciggies

Benson and hedges
    america i think its something like $28 for a carton of 200
    france its about $75 per carton
    england its $95 per carton.

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Gas has always been at least twice as expensive in Europe than in the US...along with everything else, clothes, groceries, etc. I do get paid a lot more for my job here than I could hope to get in the US, but with the high cost of living and the many many taxes, let's just say it's hard to save money.

I work part time and my income isn't very high, so I pay "only" 33% of income in taxes every month. It's pretty much impossible to become rich here because the more money you make the more money you have to pay in taxes, in some cases, up to 75% of your pay. Still excessive wealth is considered, somehow...well, wrong.

In the US there exists a huge gap between the rich and the poor. There are people living the most opulent lifestyles just down the street from people living in abject poverty. You don't really encounter that here. They've eliminated poverty but they've also eliminated extreme wealth. Not everyone agrees with it, but I think it was the humane thing to do.

4. Jessie

Jessie New Member

It's about US$4.40 a gallon in Australia using PIB's number. We import as much oil as we export though in Australia

5. Nettle

Nettle Member

Obviously the potentially rich wouldn't agree with it, but it does seem a good system if they have eradicated poverty.

I know a few Americans, and they seem to have to work really hard and struggle with debt to make ends meet. One friend of mine is a nurse, and she cannot ever see herself retiring, cos she can't afford to. I think that is sad, she doesn't have that to look forward to.

6. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

$8.50 really? :eek I live in Florida and I pay about 3 bucks a gallon.

7. Bella

Gold Member

Ok, I'll bitch quietly, but it really sucks no matter where you are! :ugh
    ~Bella

8. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

That's true, Bella.

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

In Australia, we pay more than the US for many things including petrol (about $1.30 per litre), but we also earn more on average and we don't have the huge spread of incomes from grossly rich to working poor.

Factoring income, expenses and taxation: the most expensive place in the world is Ireland, followed by the three Scandinavian countries, Britain and then the United States. This means that the US is not that much better to live in than, say, Sweden. It also means that the US is worse than many other countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia and so on.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Yeah its crazy prices...can differ slightly depending on the area or company you get your gas/petrol from...but that price is about right overall..
    Not nice for buying fuel for an american car ... :(

11. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Australia is dirt cheap, i see the aucyions of the homes there ,,, they go for what the english would see as dirt cheap.

average price of a home in England is roughly £230,000 which is roughly U.S $440,000
    and thats with a tiny bit of land and i mean tiny.

Taxes in england are extremly high...wages are ok...and the price of stuff in england is crazy.
    got a corner shop in england and you can pay like $1.50 for a pint of milk, $10 for 20 cigs. roughly $5 per pint in a pub ( closer to $10 or more in a club)

And cbrmale ( i think your meaning southern ireland, as northern ireland is pretty cheap) ( its basicaly 2 countires Ireland ( north being a part of the united kingdom, south being seperat from the UK.)

checking lots of online sites it seems that the most expencive country to live in is Japan...

Found this online

Most expencive countries i nthe world to live in ( Australia isnt even in the top 20 ) because its a very cheap country to live in. nore is canada.

1 Japan
    2 South Korea
    3 Russia
    4 Taiwan
    5 Norway
    6 Hong Kong
    7 Switzerland
    8 Denmark
    9 Argentina
    10 China
    11 Finland
    12 Cote d'Ivoire