The big snip

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by firststeps, May 31, 2007.

1. firststeps

firststeps New Member

My ex wife put me under a lot of pressure to get the snip - we have wo kids and no plans for more. Whilst I am now single, I can see that there are some advantages to doing this but really don't fancy it. Has anyone else gone through this who can give some words of advice??

Cheers

FS

2. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

I personally have not gone through it, but I think you should do what's most comfortable for you. Don't do things because other people want you to. Weigh out the pros and cons and go from there. :)

3. smallpackage

smallpackage New Member

I got snipped about 8 years ago, shortly after my second was born. I only wanted two kids, and so did she at the time....a few years go by and she starts wanting another kid, but I don't. Long story short, we divorced (not just because of the kid thing, but that had a small part to do with it) about a year ago. She is now pregnant already and I am safe in my relationship and not worried about becoming a daddy again.

For me, the vasectomy was a great plan, but that doesn't mean it is right for everyone.

4. Nettle

Nettle Member

Are you sure you don't want any more kids, but it's the OP you don't like the idea of?

My husband has the snip after our second child. It was done in a private clinic (in your town :) ) It was paid for by NHS. He was awake. It was done under a local anesthetic. He said all he felt was a little tugging sensation, and the smell of burning when they cauterised the tubes. He found it fascinating to watch lol.

A few days of bruising and walking very gingerly followed, and then he was ok.

I hope that helps.

5. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I had it done about 10 years ago. I was single at the time, early 50s. I KNEW I didn't want anymore children and found myself involved with a couple different younger women, neither of whom could handle The Pill well. For me it was an easy decision, but at 35 I don't think I would have done it. You could easily find yourself with a young woman who hasn't had children, and you might decide you want one with her. Give it lots of thought before you do it. Reversals are not easy, cheap nor always effective.

6. minxy3

minxy3 Banned

my dad had it done...............about a year b4 my sister was born lol so what im tryna say is , somtimes its to a permenant fixture, with my dad the tubes sumhow rejoined :S dodgy stuff now i dunno if its because the procedure wasnt done right or what but hey just adding my pennies worth :)

7. firststeps

firststeps New Member

Thanks for all your messages. I think that Nettle is about right - it is more the idea of the operation that I am uncomfortable with (normal story of big boys being afraid of needles!!). Anyway, I think that for the time being I am happy to remain as I am and then at least it does give options for the future.

Thanks all!!

FS

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I personaly wouldnt wish to have the snip done at all, not unless the female was willing to have her tubes tied to make all things equal.

9. bb71

bb71 New Member

Don't worry about the procedure itself! I had it done about 5 years ago. It's not a big deal at all. The biggest step for me was actaully getting to my family doctor to get a referral.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I have heard a few horror stories about it though, guy gets snip because wife wanted him to, once he has it within months the female leaves gets shacked up with another guy gets pregannt, whilst the guy is now totaly unable to have more children with a new lover.

swings and roundabouts. be extremly sure because there seems to be a lot of very young males in here who have had it done, in 15 or more years they "MAY" wonder if it was the right thing to do.

11. luv269

luv269 New Member

As was said, the procedure is really no big deal. (had it done) It is more uncomfortable than it is painfull.

Just make sure it's the right thing to do.

12. Nettle

Nettle Member

Kronnie, for the woman it is more of an operation than a procedure, it requires a general aneasthetic and an overnight stay in hospital, plus recovery. That is why we decided he should get done and not me.

13. Clark

Clark Member

I just got snipped 6 months ago. Here's my summary:

The doc spread out my nut sack and gave me four shots, one in each corner, to deliver a local anesthetic. That sucked. That hurt. It didn't last long, though, because the anesthetic kicked in. If you want more details on the actual operation I can elaborate.

Then came the worst part. I had to ice down my nuts for thirty minutes of every hour for the rest of te day, THAT sucked worse than the shots. Balls don't like ice. And they certainly don't like 30 minutes of ice several times in one day.

The next day was fine, though. I had a stitch and a scab for about two weeks. Then all was well. I didn't have a scar or mark. No pain or discomfort. Everything was back to normal.

You shud know that the doc said we had to wait four months AND 40 ejaculations befor we were cleared to have unprotected sex.

Bottom line: I have no regrets at all and I'm very happy with the results. But you should not make the decision lightly - if you're young (20's), don't do it. Wait til you're in you thirties.

14. sexless

sexless New Member

i have contemplated the snip and may well do it this year. wonders about the ice though? never heard of it.

15. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

If ur single why are u getting the snip for a ex wife?

16. suite91

suite91 Member

That seems extreme! I got snipped 2 yrs ago and I seem to recall that the Dr. said one month for me but hey, better safe than sorry! I had a follow up appointment to test for swimmers at that point.

My experience was completely positive and I was in and out in half an hour.

With regards to the ice, I recommend getting a couple of bags of frozen peas or corn. When one thaws switch to the other, they freeze quickly.

17. HouseHunny

HouseHunny New Member

Why would th Ex wife still try to tell you what is right for you?

My SO got his done when I was pregnant with our last. We knew we had reached our limit and neither of us want more. I also got it arranged to get my tubes tied while I was at the hospital when having our last. I went through the procedure the morning after giving birth. It was an unpleasant experience for me. Although now I am so happy I went through it and my SO is also happy to have made that decision. We now can have careless crazy sex without any worries of having slip ups.

18. RainbowMuncher

She pressured you? That's wrong. I'd slap her and go "Bish, go get your tubes tied and your boobs ripped off, THEN come talk to me."

19. Nettle

Nettle Member

I think you missread, he talked of his Ex in past tense..he is only wondering about if it would be a good idea now he is free and single again.

20. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Nettle i wasnt having a dig at you, was just saying how i felt personaly on the subject.
    It maybe that im influenced by the fact so far i have no children ( i may have thought differently if i had im not sure )

Its just in a way if the ( not meaning yours meaning in genral) relationship goes south, the female is still able to have children with a new lover if she chooses to, the male is no longer able to at all.