The 9-11 Rememberance Thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Maverick, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

It's a few hours early, but it's 9-11 in parts of the world, and I may be selfish, but I really want an American to start this thread. (No offense to any of our foreign brothers. It's just a matter of National Pride, to me.)

I am hoping we can all share some stories of what we were doing that day, and maybe some videos that remind us how blessed we are. Please, I know the whole 9-11 Truth movement and all those videos, but I say out of respect for the Fallen, let's keep it to we agree that the status quo is what really happened.

I remember really well that day. The sky was so beautiful that morning in the whole US. I remember the weatherman showing how there wasn't a storm cell, cloud accumulation or anything in the whole United States. I remember walking out of the room I was in (was on leave) and the birds were chirping, lazily flying around. The morning air was crisp.

I walked across the lot into the local eatery and started ordering some Waffles and eggs. I noticed one of the mexican workers staring at the TV. I turned around and saw the 1st tower on fire. I was immediately on alert, because I was thinking On a clear day, how can a pilot fly into a building so tall? I sat down with the workers, a couple who were already calling family to wake up and turn on the tv. A few moments after I sat down, the second plane flew into the building, and the uproar in the eatery was deafening. The guy to my right looked at me and said, with a sad smile," This is the end of the US as us Illegals know it. In a few years, this country will be so paranoid, anyone entering illegally will be considered one of these terrorists." He started crying, and I learned later he was almost due citizenship. After 9-11, he was deported with his whole family.

I remember within 1 minute after the second tower, my phone rang, and I was informed leave was cancelled. I had to drive some odd 300 miles to get back to Fort Lewis.On the way up the major highway here in Washington, there was almost no one driving. I remember looking up in the sky, and for the only time I will ever see it in my life, it was clear of any jet trails.

I've never really cried for that day, even losing family in the event. I was determined and resolved to make those who were suspected of doing it, accountable for their actions. To this day I am still fascinated by the events, and I have spent many numerous hours pouring over documents and videos, just trying to get an explanation that isn't based in irrational fear of an unknown enemy. I know since that day, there have been a few days like that morning, where I wake up and say," This is a 9-11 day."

2. cbrmale

Gold Member

In the rest of the world it is 11-9. We were travelling home after a holiday at Byron Bay and were staying overnight in a motel at Lake Macquarie. I remember waking up in the early hours of the morning and heard the television on in the next room, and thought someone must have fallen asleep with it on. Later when I checked out I was told what happened from the receptionist, and then I realised the people in the next room were watching all night. But I had to drive home and it was a horrible drive too; rained all the way from Sydney to Canberra, steady rain for more than 200 kilometres. I was glad to get home so I could then catch up on what happened.

3. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I had just got to my PE class in 9th grade when they ran in and announced it in the gym. Being right next to the pentagon, people may have been worried about their parents that may work there or close to it. All classes were pretty much cancelled and we just watched the news for the rest of the day.

The next few days, we drove passed the Pentagon to see the damage. It was pretty obvious and was heart breaking to actually see that.

May all of those rest in peace.

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

I was in my 7th grade Match Class. We all thought it was weird when they let us in school early, but they wanted us off the grounds and in locked rooms.

I remember watching the news and seeing everything that was going on, thinking "wait..why did a plane run into that building?"

Then..we saw the second plane hit...and my heart sunk. We all knew as soon as that happened that something was wrong. That it wasn't an accident and we were all in trouble. You could literally hear a pin drop in the school, the only thing that echoed through the halls was the sound of the TV's and the light cries from teachers and students alike.

My parents picked me up shortly after 1st period and I watched the remainder of the event on the tv at my grandma's house. I cried all day and night, scared of what was going to happen next, if it was over and where we were going to go from there.

I thankfully did not have family there at the time, but knew of people who did.

I hold my head high as an American to know that even a terrible act like that can't bring us down.

I celebrate the lives of all of those who were lost and those who live in their wake.

5. dukefan

dukefan New Member

I was working in a soils lab then, listening to John Boy and Billy when they broke the news about the first tower, then all that followed. I freaked out, called my wife and told her to get our son from preschool and get home. Being right next door to Fort Bragg the only thing I could think was that they would try to do something to the base here. I can pretty much tell you everything from that day and the next few.

Still remember the weird feeling the first time I heard a plane flying over in the days after

6. Moon

Moon New Member

At that time I was working in a call centre, we had tv screens up in places and all could see them, they were always tuned to Sky news.

As we were on the phones we didn't have sound, we had to try and make sense of what we were seeing, we watched the whole thing unfold...the phones went quiet...I suddenly got a call from a gentleman who simply wanted to speak to someone about what was happening.

He told me everything, and then the towers fell.

7. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

I was in bed asleep when it happened. First I heard of it I was on lunch break at work eating an egg sandwich and it came up on the lunch time news I was shocked and a little terrified.

8. Meee

Gold Member

I was nine and in school. Even though we live in the suburbs of Washington, DC, almost out to the farmland, there are government buildings around. Some of them are secret and behind thick evergreens. When the Pentagon was hit, my father called home and my mother asked if she should go take me from school. He yelled, "No! Stay inside! And stay away from the windows!"

About an hour later, they talked again and decided that surely the school was going to close and they'd be glad if parents started coming and taking the children. But when she got to my school, classes were still going on. Teachers had been briefed to keep things normal. We knew there was tension, but we didn't know why. My mother was the first parent to arrive. As I was being taken to the office, I saw a TV that the staff had on. I asked about the very strange things that they were showing on it. The principal rushed out of her office to hush me, but it was too late. Other students wanted to see too. Things started to fall apart fast. My mother took me, so I'm not sure what happened after that, but I heard later that there was a lot of running around and crying.

At home, I sat all day in front of the TV and saw the replays of the towers crashing down over and over and over. At dusk, my mother let me go outside. I climbed up in a tree and watched the sun set and thought about death for the first time that I can remember.

For two weeks, our area had road blocks. No trucks allowed. Stores couldn't get deliveries, so they were closed. Everything was very quiet. I think my school was closed for a week. After a few days, military jets started patrolling in circles, so there was jet noise all the time, day and night. I think it went on for months.

After the Pentagon fire was out, my father took me to see the wreckage. Thousands of people were doing it, standing on the other side of the road and pointing at desks hanging off the edge of collapsed floors.

#8 Meee, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

You actually had the opportunity to see the damage firsthand? That must have been very strange for you at nine, no?

10. hubbywubby

hubbywubby New Member

I was at work on Long Island. After the second plane hit it was like we were at war. Everyone was looking for other planes. It was real scary. I was able to get to an area where I could view both towers. I work for a telecommunication company and at that time I had a bucket truck I was able to tie in my test TV and I went up in my bucket.

I was watching it on TV and in real life at the same time. It was very scary and weird. When the first tower collapsed my mind could not accept it. I kept looking at the TV then at the real thing And I thought when the dust cleared the tower would still be there. After about a minute I realized it was just gone. Then I realized I just saw thousands of people die. To be honest I thought there was more people in the towers then there actually was. After the first tower I just sat in shock and I was praying the second tower would hold long enough for people to get out. I wasn't even sure if it was going to come down than it just disappeared. It was so fast. Seconds and it was just gone. Than all you saw was a huge cloud popping up. At that time I got down out of my truck and I felt like I had to go meet some of my coworkers. Just to get a grip on what was going on. I remember driving and just thinking where is the next plane coming from. Ill never forget it. It was very scary and sad and it should have never happened. Still think about it all the time. When ever I go into the city I look and still cant believe they're gone. Not that I care about the buildings but what happened that day to the people in them and the families. There is a void. Even though they are rebuilding to me it will never be the same. Thise people on flight 93 has Balls. I like to think I would do the same but who knows how you would react. Atleast the went down with a fight. Also the save a lot of other lives Im sure. There were so many heros that day that is the good I like to hold on to.. I try to help people all the time now. Even stpid things like stranded people on the road. Of course you have to be carful with that as well..

11. nyxx

nyxx New Member

i was in the bathroom. friends told me about it after. my aunt was working in the south tower, but she was able to get out in time.

12. RideNaked2

Gold Member

Thank goodness for you Aunt!!!! I'm glad that she got out safe!

13. Essene

Gold Member

First and forehand, I am proud to be an American. I am very patriotic and I am thankful for every man and woman, maybe even transsexual man or woman, who fights to help keep me safe.

With that being said, I didn't really care when either plane bombarded either tower. Then again, I seldom care when anything happens. I didn't know any of those people. I was glad that the third plane was taken down. I try to look at situations from a global perspective. Did innocent people deserve to die? No. They seldom ever do. But I understood why it occurred. Do I agree with it? No. I don't agree with war and the like-thereof unless the diplomatic approach simply will not work such as in the case with Gaddafi, Hussein, Bin Laden, Hitler, Mobutu, etc...

What I'm saying is that I understand how this attack was necessary for these war hungry extremists. The people who chant "Death to America! Death to Jews! Death to the Kuffar!" I do not agree with it. But I understand how brainwashing has lead them to acts like these. I mean come on... they say that Jews make matza out of the blood of a Christian child.

From a young age, some Islamic children are taught to hate America. There are many clips of wee lads and lasses completely enthralled with killing the Kuffar in tears or over joyed. Just to think it all stemmed from Ishmael and Isaac.

I was in a ninth grade algebra class. After that course I went to my Concepts of Engineering class. We were sent home early that day.

14. Meee

Gold Member

My nine-year-old thoughts in nineteen-year-old hindsight: Will everything be all right? Does it help the people who were killed that lots of people feel sad about them? Is the person who sat at that desk in the hospital? Does it help the people in hospitals feel better that so many people care? Will the building be healed? Will we feel better when it's alive again?

15. HardRocker

Gold Member

I heard it on the John Boy and Billy radio show too. I also had the muted TV on the Today show on NBC so I looked up and saw the smoldering building a few minutes before the second crash. At that time it wasn't clear if it was a small plane accident or not. Hijackers hadn't crossed my mind yet, but soon would.

It was a confusing mix of emotions until I saw pictures of people holding hands plummeting through the air after jumping from the fire. Then it turned to a mix of sorrow and anger.

It drew us together after that. People were respectful of each other, knowing we're all together in this. I was disappointed that after a few weeks so many people returned to their asinine me-first attitudes. But many more didn't. I'm glad for that.

16. Essene

Gold Member

17. hornyscot

hornyscot New Member

i was in the kitchen eating dinner, my daughter came through to tell me a plane had hit a building, i went to watch and as i did so the second plane hit, i stated, oh god, here starts world war three, i also cried. i wasnt right about WW3 thankfully, but by god, the aftermath has been long and bloody. As a Brit, i have always felt a close alliance with our American cousins and as sich felt the impact, i say this, i will never forget it. " Lest We Forget"