Thank you for helping to police SF

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

I just want to take the time to thank all of our members that use the "report post" button. It is great to have so many eyes looking for spammers and trolls and we, the staff of SF, appreciate the help.

Thank you so much for helping to keep SF a fun, safe, and informative community.

:tup

#1 Barbwire, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. HardRocker

Gold Member

^^ what she said.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

Thanks again to those of you that take the time to report posts that you think may violate our rules, especially when you suspect spam.
    Just click the red flag icon at the bottom left of a post.

4. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Glad to help!:D

I am actually a senior member at another forum (some moderation duties), and part of the role I have taken is booting spammers posts. I have learned what kind of things to look for, so when I see them, I almost instantly know. I have also found a very good resource, which will show the usernames and known IP ranges of spammers that have been kicked off other forums around the web. The site I am talking about is: Stop Forum Spam which I have forwarded to someone here not too long ago. I think it might have been CL.

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

All right, got that book marked. I'll try it out right away. Thanks, FM.

6. HardRocker

Gold Member

Since we have so many new members lately, I wanted to remind everyone how helpful it is if you will click the "Report" button any time you see something that's obviously Spam or anything you think is out of bounds. And thanks to all of you who already use this feature.

It's the little red flag in the bottom left corner of every post.
    Thanks all,
    HR

7. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm going to second that "thank you" especially to some of our members for being quick on the draw to inform of us all the spammers we have around, especially ones that are super sneaky :p

Thanks guys! You're a big help

8. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Will have to remember to do this as I can't stand spammers. Now I know how.

9. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Nailed another one! I love to see the spammers get tossed.:p

10. HardRocker

Gold Member

I wish y'all could see some sort of acknowledgment we put in the reported post threads. At least a copy to the reporter. But yeah, it does make our job easier.
    I don't get to have nearly as much fun here when I'm hunting badguys. I like it when I can be a member first and a moderator second.
    I have had several people complain about mods participating in the threads. Remember Totty Hoops? Man, she hated when I would post in a discussion she was in. Oh well, TFB!:dance

11. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

Why should people be complaining about mods participating in threads? That is how you got to where you are in the forum standings, and participating shows that you are a real person, instead of just someone whose only mission is to boot spammers.:tup

12. heelfetish

Gold Member

Good riddance! :p

13. camSOSexy

camSOSexy New Member

'everybody's talking at me.. i can't hear a word they say....'

Well, moderators made introductions very impressively with me and my impression was encouragement to really explore the site's subject, policy and threads. The member base by numbers and going back years is impressive. From the looks at first in the forums, I thought the site was relatively new.

my bad..

but the conversations are happening to be populated by the moderator's who seem so suspicious to jump down anyone's throat... a average member might want to write, post and chat about something online engaging, exciting and valuable to others and this makes a fine line between spamming. I agree with a website link included in our profile and the opportunity to get more personal in our blogs, it leaves the forum alone without junk links. MY definition of spamming has always been a link leading to personal gain and profit by a member. It makes a link solely based on community share and information exchange suspect.

14. Mittimer

Gold Member

Populated by moderators?

There's a grand total of 3 of us.

15. heelfetish

Gold Member

:lol :rofl :coocoo

If it walks like a duck...