Swimming and aching jaw

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jack04, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Jack04

Jack04 New Member

does anyone else have this problem. After swimming their jaw starts aching a lot? Things could be worse like aching when having sex :uhh:
    jack

2. Zack

Zack New Member

I swam in highschool and I remember swimming 7000-9000 yards a day but the only thing that I felt sore ( except for the beginning of season sore shoulders ) is my neck sometimes, I used to be able to make loud cracks in my neck if I were to tilt it. Didn't hurt so much, just kinda odd that my neck cracked that much. You're jaw my hurt from possibly an odd way you breathe or something...

3. Jack04

Jack04 New Member

sweet thanks, the water is pretty cold maybe that has something to do with it?
    jack

4. dabody

dabody New Member

Nah, I've never had that problem after swimming. One thing though; I often catch a cold after I go swimming. Does anyone else have this problem?

5. KoenigNazgul

KoenigNazgul New Member

It may be that you unconsciously clench your jaw when you swim. I swam two years on my high school swim team and never heard a teammate complain about their jaw. You may want to focus on keeping your teeth apart and the muscles around your mouth relaxed when swimming. Do you have any problems clenching your jaw/grinding your teeth when sleeping? If so, get one of the special retainers for that purpose and ask if you could wear it while swimming.