Sweatshops, good or bad? Discuss.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnonymousOne, Mar 9, 2006.

1. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I kinda wanted to stimulate discussion here and so I figured a controversial topic was in order. Please keep it civil folks ... Or I'll sick PunkKitty on you:dgrin .

So what do you all think? Are sweatshops good or bad, why or why not? Allow me to provide a working definition here:

Sweatshop- A factory where the worker is paid little by Western standards, works in a sometimes dangerous environment, and is not coerced into working for said sweatshop.

So lets here what you have to say. I will chime in late tomorrow with my appraisal of the situation.

2. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

3. teamster145

Gold Member

I have a real problem with people being paid next to nothing and then the products being brought back here for a huge profit. I try to buy American made whenever I can. New Balance makes some shoes here if anyone cares. I dont disslike providing jobs but when they are piad so little. Like $1 or $2 an hour the stuff had better be cheap. And a lot of time the people there are treated very bad and sometimes locked in.

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Okay, I lied, I have a ton of stuff to do today and then I'm going to sleep for about 16 hours. I'll post my position on Friday ... I take the stance that sweatshops are good for the consumer, the producer, and the worker. Teamster ... looks like we might lock horns.

5. FlaminFrancesca

FlaminFrancesca New Member

I don't know ANON1, I will have to think about it and post in a day or so...
    I'm *thinking* that I don't think they are completely terrible... but I'll get back to you.

6. teamster145

Gold Member

I wonder how many Americans that used to work in them in this country would agree with you? You know before we had health care, weekends, Holidays, etc. I ddont think people should be treated like that.

7. TheSpiral

TheSpiral New Member

Although I do agree that nobody should be treated like this, and I'm not saying sweatshops are good by any means, I wouln't stand against them.

The workers obviously know the risks, the pay, and the whole nine yards when they sign up for the job, correct? I'm sure they've heard all about it from gossip/news/friends and whatnot. This, however, might very well be their only source of income, and have no other choice but to take the job just to earn what little pay they can by any means necessary. Keep in mind that not every country can be the same. The United States and Great Britain cannot be the same as these third-world countries are for several differing reasons depending on the country.

So, in short, I'd like them to be kept well (as in, I'd wish these people fair pair and non-dangerous workplaces), but that can't be possible. These sweatshops will always exist, whether legal or not. I'm against them... but there are apparent reasons they exist. They give jobs to those who are desperate for one. That's about all I can think of now...

</idiot's opinion>

8. teamster145

Gold Member

I believe that is taking advantage of their situation. Then some CEO is getting fat over here on all the profits. Shareholders very happy. $$$

9. TheSpiral

TheSpiral New Member

Well, of course. The rich get richer. I'm not saying that's right by any means, like I said. I think it's terrible and I wish things would change, but the fact remains that there is no employment regulation in these countries (I really don't know if there is or not, but if there is, they are not strict enough, and should be changed). I'm not opposing you by any means, don't think that I am.

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Teamster, I say this bluntly but not meanly, you have alot to earn about economics. I'll try and post tonight. My position might offend people, but I really don't care. :brow

11. Liz83

Liz83 New Member

Very bad!

12. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Looks like an education is in order. Give me a day to get my graphs!

13. FlaminFrancesca

:eek:t Okay, this is soooooo off topic, but everytime I read the title to this thread, I get an SNL flashback from... Dana Carvey or Mike Myers... when they did the old coffee talk skit... discuss... am I totally dating myself now, lol... this is probably going right over everyones head under 30! :whoa

14. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I remember those skits. Chuch Lady was funny too.

15. Kai

Kai New Member

they give me my shoes and items i am happy it may not be great but its how the world works!

16. teamster145

Gold Member

Im good enough and Im smart enough and doggonit people like me.

17. FlaminFrancesca

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

18. teamster145

Gold Member

I guess you remember that too. Very funny

19. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

What was the skit called? Stu something. Where he would sit in front of the mirror and say good things about himself?

Daly Aspirations by Stu?

20. FlaminFrancesca

Oh yes, I remember Stuart Smalley, lol