"surgery saved my life"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

May 5, 2006
    Anybody ever watch that show? Last night I found myself up until 2 am watching it... I WANTED to turn it off so badly, it made me shiver seeing people's chests wide open. Awww man it makes me quiver just thinking about it. But anyway there were 2 cases they were working on last night. A 5 day old boy and a 16 year old girl. The 5 day old's heart was like, reversed. There's two major lines that go into the heart, and they were reversed. Man was that ever insane to watch, because they had to stop the boy's heart for a few minutes in order to operate. It was just phenomenal.

With the 16 year old, I just felt bad for her. She looked like a normal teenager, and you would of just never thought. Turns out her heart is completely reversed 100%. It's on the right side of her chest, sitting backwards, and six years ago when she was 10 she had a valve put in that was supposed to last 10 years. This valve was 90% clogged by year six, and she was lucky to be living. It was just amazing. I can't imagine being in that position. She was laying there bawling because she knew damn well she might never wake up and she was about to go to sleep within the next 5 minutes. Imagine that emotional torture... wow. In the end, she came out of the surgery just fine. However, she'll be back under the knife in 5-10 years for another replacement valve. This time, they hoped, a self sustaining valve will be created. The natural valves in our heart are able to sustain themselves in the heart, whereas these artificial ones still get clogged over time. Hopefully when she gets the knife in 5-10 years, it'll be the last time and a sustainable valve will be available by then.

It was just an amazing show. One that I HATE to turn on but I can't simply turn it off! It's amazing what modern medicine can do. I just hope it continues to take off as it has been in the last few years, and with the help of technology it certainly will continue going forward at full bore.