Superstitions - Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HotForHoney, Jun 13, 2014.

1. HotForHoney

Gold Member

Today is Friday the 13th.

Is anyone superstitious?
    Any other superstitions?

2. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

My list of superstitions that I am aware of and actively observe:
    - Never set an empty chair rocking.
    - Never sleep with my head facing South or East.
    - Do not eat a bowl of rice if the top has been rounded.
    - During storms have a candle lit.
    - Burn incense once a week over the hearth (or similar area in living room)
    - Kiss the mezuzah before entering my home
    - Keep a fresh bundle of rosemary, sage, and hyssop hung near the front door

3. luvbug

Gold Member

Never heard of these .... Why??

4. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

Here's my loooooonnnnnngggg response which will make you all think I'm totally batty...
    - Never set an empty chair rocking.
    From my great grandmother. Doing so disturbs the spirits and spiritual energies flowing through your house.
    - Never sleep with my head facing South or East.
    From my friend who is from the Nez Perce tribe as well as research into various American Indian beliefs (also heard mention this might be true in Japanese culture too, but haven't looked into it). South and East are both directions that the dead travel. When you sleep your soul enters a limbo of spiritual state and can be whisked away. (Think of it as a spiritual kidnapping during a bout of astral projection.)
    - Do not eat a bowl of rice if the top has been rounded.
    From my stepmom (who is Japanese) In Japan's Shinto beliefs offerings of food are left out for the spirits at night. To signify and let the spirits know which bowl of rice is theirs you round the top. To eat this rice when you are living is bad luck and very disrespectful.
    - During storms have a candle lit.
    Another from Great Grandma. Keep the candle lit to let any and all passing in the storm know you are offering shelter.
    - Burn incense once a week over the hearth (or similar area in living room)
    From my aunt. Doing so helps keep the atmosphere of your home peaceful and sedate (and keeps the spirits/energies happy)
    - Kiss the mezuzah before entering my home
    My whole family. Just a Jewish thing, I guess.
    - Keep a fresh bundle of rosemary, sage, and hyssop hung near the front door
    Another from my aunt. Those three herbs are all about cleansing, purification, and removal of negativity - so having them hung up wards the negative from your home.

luvbug likes this.
  5. BlueCollar

Gold Member

6. JonJo

Gold Member

#4 - velly inteeeresting Grasshopper.
    Ones in my family:
    Never cross on stairs.
    Never leave from a different door than the one you entered through.
    Never stir anything with a knife.
    Never cross knives.
    Throw spilt salt over your right shoulder.
    Always put your right shoe on first & take it off last.
    Never put new shoes on a table.
    Never open an umbrella in the house.

Touch wood I have none.

10_3XL likes this.
  7. johnson332

johnson332 Member

I used to be superstitious when I was a kid, but at some point in my life (just after puberty) I left that all behind me (along with my religion) and now I don't even pay attention to these things. Life is much simpler and less stressful without thinking about some silly superstitions as Friday the 13th or finding out ways to say that someone has cancer without mentioning the word "cancer"...

The problem is that I'm an oddball in my country. Here in Eastern Serbia people believe in all sorts of things and it is too much for one man to remember, especially when I don't even care about superstitions. This can lead to some funny incidents - few years ago I was having physical therapies after my cast was removed and I had to go to hospital each day. On my last day while I was waiting in a small room full of people (mostly elderly women) I saw a friend who was working there. He asked me why am I there because he had thought that my therapies were already finished and I replied that it was my last day. At that point a woman yelled at me and was instantly joined by several others. I couldn't understand what was going on and it took some time for them to quiet down so that the one who started yelling the first could explain what I've done. Apparently it was horribly bad to say anything like "It is my last day..." because it can really be your last day (alive).

The funniest thing about superstitions in Serbia is that they are so varied and there are always some conflicting beliefs. A century ago most of the people here lived in small villages. There were literate people in each village, but nothing was ever written down, everything was passed on orally and this lead to each village having unique beliefs. After WW2 people started moving to cities and towns and now after a generation or two typical extended family with all the relatives (this is at least 100 people) has representatives from several different villages. Each time they get together for some important occasion (wedding, baptism, funeral...) there is an argument about some petty things because everyone knows how his/her grandparents did things, they are certain that they are right and they think that everyone else is either crazy or ignorant.

Notice: I wasn't comparing any religion to superstition, nor claiming that any religion is bad in any way, I merely stated the fact that I used to be religious and now I am not.

10_3XL and lbushwalker like this.
  8. ginger

Gold Member

bloody hell am I the only normal-ish one on here lol :rolleyes:

9. Mikey22

Gold Member

None for me, I did think about calling my boss, Telling him I could'nt work because of Friday the 13. Just to see the reaction I would get.

lbushwalker and luvbug like this.
  10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Just another beautiful day in paradise :)

11. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

It's pretty amazing what takes hold in our psyche and establishes itself as a superstition. I re-read my list above and realized (like I said) how crazy it makes me sound. Also that almost all of them are "not typical" and/or not even from my native/local culture.

12. Married M Nh

Gold Member

I'll keep it simple, no

13. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I don't have any superstitions. I rather enjoy reading about them though. I've always seen friday the thirteenth as a lucky day.

14. JonJo

Gold Member

It turned out lucky for me, got a phone call from the store I purchased my new microwave from two weeks ago saying that while doing a stock check against receipts they found out that they'd overcharged me by £60 (approx $102) and there will be a refund waiting for me to collect on Monday. Not only was the money a nice surprise but so was the honesty of the store.

15. CaramelLady

Not superstitious.

16. JonJo

Gold Member

You played safe just the same and waited until today to reply :)

17. CaramelLady

Not waited.... More like I did not see it until today.

18. backcheck64

Gold Member

I don't have any, but my kids do when it comes to hockey. They wear the same socks all year, put on equipment in the exact same order, lace skates in the same fashion every game... oh we do pray to the hockey gods.

19. in_heat

Gold Member

Friday the 13th!!! [​IMG]