Students denied diplomas and punished due to enthusiastic parents.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Okay this is just stupid beyond belief. According to a recent article five students have been denied their high school diplomas because their parents cheered during their graduation ceremony. This is in accordance with a new school policy banning such "undignified" behavior during the ceremony. The students can perform several hours of community service if they want to get their diplomas.

I for one cannot fathom why they are punishing the students over this. If anything, the students' parents should be the ones made to do community service.

2. RainbowMuncher

o.o how is being overwhelmed with join because your child graduated being undignified? I would sue.. and if it's in the US, I wouldn't think such a policy would be allowed.

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It was in the US, somewhere in rural Illinois I think. And supposedly the ACLU doesn't have a big problem with it:

There must be hardly any crime in that area if they're actually considering this a big enough deal to warrant this kind of punishment. :eyes

4. RainbowMuncher

o.o yea lol i'd sue.. i'm sorry.

5. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

my highschool has a similar rule, but we are not denied our diplomas, rather our family can be kicked out.

My aunt was visiting from California where graduating classes are like 500 and the ceremonies take place outside therefore you HAVE to make noise for your graduate to know you are there, people even release bundles of helium balloons when their graduate is called....anyway she brought an airhorn to my little MN graduation. After 4 of my friends and I made it across she had it confiscated by security...LOL

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

That's bad. Really bad! Punishing graduates because other people acted "undignified"? I don't see how that could be enforced. I'd sue the frickin school district.

7. Dreama

Gold Member

So stupid. My brother just graduated. I clapped and cheered louder than anyone else! I couldn't imagine being quiet on such a special day