Stress arousal

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by nicelynoosed, Aug 14, 2015.

1. nicelynoosed

nicelynoosed Member

It has been said (by Tina Fey, no less) that people tend to have distinctly different reactions to worry, stress, and upset.

For one set of people, the genetic conditioning seems to be 'Bad things! Wait to reproduce!' and consequently their libidos get low, lower, or non-existent.

For others, that demon DNA seems to be wired in exactly the opposite way. 'Yikes! Stress! Could be shark or bear or earthquake or famine or a high school reunion! Ack! Quick, have babies now! We may not have the chance later! Hurry-hurry! Pants off, quick as you can!' And so forth.

I'm a pretty sexually charged person, so it may be that stress only diminishes my huge, throbbing, powerful, musky, mostly-imaginary virility, but I think that worry, sadness, and all the other 'yuck' emotions tend to make me more horny.

Or, at least, more sexual.

I'm not sure if other men have different types of orgasms, but mine can run along a pretty wide range. It can be: 'THE UNIVERSE HAS SPLIT OPEN THROUGH THE TOP OF MY HEAD AND I CAN TOUCH INFINITY! YES! YES! OH, GODS AND GODDESSES AND MONICA BELLUCI YES!!!'

Or peaking might be more like ' Oh mercy, so hot and wet and pounding and flowing and writhing and why is the umpire yelling at me?'

It's possible for a climax to be perfectly perfunctory: 'Okay, okay, very good. Needed that. Phew! Not Guilty, your honor.'

I also experience times when it's just ejaculation, like a twitching muscle (those are, thankfully, rare).

Or, if I have been really low for a few days, I sometimes have cathartic emissions, when it feels as though all the built up stress is being released in a big, sad pang.

I'm not trying to be a downer here.

What I'd like to know is: How does stress affect your desire to Get It On? If you tend to fuck your worries away, do those luscious lightning bolts bring a different kind of thunder?

My enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
    NN

2. David4020

Gold Member

Damn I've spoke briefly about this before. I'm one of those people who have never really lost sex drive or desire, when stressed or depressed. It doesn't make it drop. Actually it can intensify it. Often when I am stressed or depressed and I touch myself or someone else has, thing's often get even hotter than usual at a faster rate. Basically I turn into a wild horn dog even more than usual. I'm thinking some of us are lucky enough to have something in our DNA where sexual desire over rules just about every thing. Including even bad stress an depression, once our buttons are pushed somehow for that time sex drive is as high as ever. Where as with some people stress/depression really has all but shut down their sex drive, temporally anyway.

3. whybother

Gold Member

Unfortunately, Stress makes me horny and my wife lose all interest.

billytk1977 likes this.
  4. David4020

Gold Member

That sucks but that's part of what makes relationships the differences. And if you're always horny regardless, that means when your wife is up for it you're bound to be too. But it goes to prove the marked differences regarding stress or depression when it comes to sex drive.

5. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

This is interesting to me. Stress definitely affects my arousal, but it's very dependent on the type of stress.

I've noticed mental stress (work, academic, etc) tends to increase my sex drive. It serves as a release and as a way to 'get my mind off things'.

Emotional stress can either drop my drive to zero, or increase it greatly. I've dealt with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. These alone don't kill my sex drive. Relationship problems, bouts of low self esteem, things that are directly relevant to my life definitely lower my arousal. I've noticed that if I'm grieving I tend to masturbate more, though it's probably just my way of removing myself from the situation.

Physically stress, for example being sick or being in pain, definitely lower my sex drive.

--

As far as marked differences in orgasm or sensation, I've noticed it's pretty dependent on why (and how) I'm getting off. If I'm with someone, my orgasms are consistent with how they usually are with that person. If I'm masturbating because I'm mentally and physically aroused, the orgasms are much more satisfying than if I'm doing it because of pure physical arousal. It also depends on if my arousal has been influenced by another person or not. If someone else made me horny, I'm more likely to enjoy myself because I feel wanted. Otherwise, I'm mostly just going through the motions.

nicelynoosed and David4020 like this.
  6. David4020

Gold Member

Great post. But yeah physical stress, such as being sick or having a lot of pain that pretty much kills anyones sex drive stone dead. Definitely with physical problems like these, the body just will not allow you to be aroused even if you tried. I've tried to wank while having a bad flu an things just do not get going lol With a cold yeah things can still get going sometimes. Basically it all depends.

#6 David4020, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    nicelynoosed likes this.
  7. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

I will say that orgasms can help greatly with menstrual cramps. lol

nicelynoosed likes this.
  8. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

One period a few year back I was very emotional stressed. It was one of my most upsetting times. It was also one of my most horny lol!

nicelynoosed and David4020 like this.
  9. David4020

Gold Member

I don't like that you were very emotional stressed by the way lol

10. billytk1977

Verified Gold Member

i got the same thing goin on

whybother likes this.
  11. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

Depends on the source of stress. If its a specific task , or problem that I'm having trouble solving, sex is a great way to resolve it, so I tend to get hormy at those times. If it's a person or a life situation that causes the stress, my libido crashes to basically zero. I don't even have the urge to masturbate. The worst part is during said times, my gf sees that as an opportunity to have sex and perhaps clear my head. Usually I end up lecturing her as to how penile pleasure is not a panacea, and how offended I am that she thinks my dumb man brain can be distracted from existential issues because my penis brain holds a higher rank.