Steve Jobs is finally gone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mittimer, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mittimer

Gold Member

2. hubbywubby

hubbywubby New Member

Steve Jobs passed away

Very sad....He was one of my personal inspireres... very smart man... I feel bad for him and his family... Does prove that money can not get you everything...I have seen many interviews with him. he knew he had terminal Cancer but his will to live was such an insperation... It was just a few weeks ago he stepped down as CEO.. He was so sick but he did not want to let the people that counted on him down.... What a bummer...

3. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Love or hate Apple, no one can deny that the man changed the world for the better. As a professional in the industry, I can say that for sure. He will be missed. Looks like apple already is paying tribute to him: Apple If you click on the picture, you are taken to a tribute to him.

Looks like everyone from Barack Obama to Bill Gates to Mark Zuckerburg have already released their condolences to him family and friends and tributes to the man himself.

#3 ninja08hippie, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. Mittimer

Gold Member

I agree. I'm not personally a fan of apple products at all but he's an amazing man who did a lot in the ways of technology.

It's sad to see a visionary like him pass so young. There was still a lot he could have done for the world.

5. cbrmale

Gold Member

I don't have anything Apple, but remember he invented GUI which we all use (anyone remember running computers on DOS commands?). Windows started as a copy of Apple, with DOS for compatibility. In fact Jobs was the inspiration behind some marvellous stuff.

My father died at 56 after a 6 year battle with cancer, so there is a surprising similarity there. My own philosophy of life changed after that, and I do things so that I will not look back and wished I had. I don't work long hours, I have an interesting sex life, I travel to strange and exotic places and so on.

6. Essene

Gold Member

How is it bloody sad?
    I didn't know him personally. Did any of you lot?
    I mentioned "A homeless man probably died twenty seconds ago." What's the difference.

In his perspective, it sucks he died, but for me- oh well. Life occurs.

7. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

It's always sad when someone dies Essene. It's just big news when it's someone like Steve Jobs, he literally changed the world, very few people can say that. Obama probably summed it up best:

I did.

#7 ninja08hippie, Oct 6, 2011
  8. Essene

Gold Member

No it isn't. Sad that is. I understand how peopel could possibly find it sad, but I find having emotions for someone who I do not know (and who isn't being abused) a waste of time.

9. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Then did you come into this thread just to be cynical?
    [​IMG]

It's usually considered polite practice when someone who has changed the world that much for the better dies to pay a minor respect to him, or at least not criticize those who do want to make a short tribute. If Bob Dylan, Richard Branson, Jay Leno... dropped dead tomorrow, there would be a thread honouring him too.

#9 ninja08hippie, Oct 6, 2011
  10. HardRocker

Gold Member

If you care about the state of humanity and assign a quality of value to the things that, in your opinion, affect it in a positive way, then when it's prematurely gone and you feel there is a loss where there could have been more positive contributions, then you may very rightly feel sad.

Your way is apathetic.

11. Essene

Gold Member

Change the world for the better? People do that on a daily basis. Did I come here to be cynical? I would use a lesser version of that word, but yes I did. I don't know much about him. Even if he was a saint who gave oodles of money to this-or-that charity, volunteered here-and-there, founded charities, habitats for humanity, so on- I still wouldn't be moved to the point of melancholy.

I don't find the iJob jokes funny- but I also don't find his death sad.

Voids are left in this world every second. By those loved and those hated, those unknown and those made popular for various reasons. Michael Jackson, my third cousin, Brittany Murphy, my grandfather on my dad's side... They've all perished with me none the more-or-less moved.

When my own grandfather died, two years ago, I was only sad for how my father reacted. But I was not saddened to lose him. People who are estranged to me, people who I don't keep in continuous contact with, I rarely care for. There are other people who can innovate and help progress Apple along.

There are many moguls who have benevolently touched the lives of many. Feeling sad or depressed isn't completely healthy.

And I believe in predetermination (fate). Thus, I can't possibly think his death is pre-mature. Like I said, I understand why people would feel that way. I just don't feel the same. Apathetic is an appropriate word.

On the converse, for those who do care? The sadness should have started when he was diagnosed and not when he died. His death is a relief from the sickness that had him. Where is the sadness in that? Without ascribing what I'm about to write to any one here- I'd much rather be apathetic than a selfish sadist.

Also- Ninja- I didn't criticize any one for their remorse. I did, however, say what it was to me and that I understood why/how someone would be lead to feel sadness. I wrote that "I find having emotions..." not "I find others having emotions..." There was no critique made.

I suppose the South Park episode is rather relative. But Stan was quite cynical. I'm more nonchalant.

#11 Essene, Oct 6, 2011
  12. nyxx

nyxx New Member

from the day we are born our lives are a ticking time bomb. when the times up, most people make little ripples, but once in awhile one person can affect the world.

13. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Did you come up with that yourself or is that a quote from someone? Because that is an excellent tribute.

14. Essene

Gold Member

It sounds like a variant of "Those who are not busy being born are busy dying."

15. bigpappi

bigpappi Member

Essene-just because its not a sad thing for you doesn't mean its not for others and this isn't really something you should be questioning in a thread started by someone telling of his loss. It's sad to others and that's all that matters. Who are you to continue to come in here and question their feelings?

16. nyxx

nyxx New Member

just made it up

17. Essene

Gold Member

I know that bigpapi. I didn't say it wasn't sad for others. Really? So, people saying why they are sad at a wake is fine, but not asking why they are sad? I believe you are mistaken.

Whose loss are we speaking of here? Jobs' or the original poster? Because the op was a female. And Jobs lost his life, but gained tranquility.

Who am I to question? What answer are you looking for? God? No. The very fact that I am inquisitive as to why people are sad or how they could become sad is reason enough. I don't really need another one.

No, it is not all that matters. You don't decide that for any one else but for yourself. If it was all that mattered, making your assumption axiomatic, I wouldn't have asked.

I don't think you fully understood where I was coming from. So, a suggestion, instead of passively aggressively suggesting I don't speak my mind, and don't ask questions you may dislike- why not simply ask without seeming condescending?

The title is "Steve Jobs is Finally Gone" and it says R.I.P. followed by a link to a news story. It doesn't say "This is for those who wish to mourn his death exclusively", now does it?

#17 Essene, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  18. nyxx

nyxx New Member

its called reading between the lines...................

19. Essene

Gold Member

Well I am far more direct and look into things, non-scholastically, for their face value ignoring anything "in between" any lines. If it isn't clearly and explicably (I know it isn't a word- but it should be) there, chances are I'll ignore any sub-context.

Also, I'd like to add that I didn't post in the other lad's thread about Jobs because that one was more direct. I don't really have anything to contribute to a thread concerning "his view". However, this thread is far more ambiguous. My comments and inquiries are fine here.

20. nyxx

nyxx New Member

cool