STD

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Warlock, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Warlock

Warlock New Member

Hi all,

Right ill try make the story short. I got genital warts. I have been to the doctors and he has confirmed this and has proscribed me a cream for them.

I have been with my current GF for just over a year now. From the digging around of the interweb i have picked them up from a prevous partner without them even knowing they had it. Also I am the first guy my current GF has sleep with so she could not have had it.

Before i was with my GF i had a STD check and was all clear. So we both went into this relationship knowing that we were both clean or so we thought.

She is on the pill and we were not using condoms. So would it make any difference if we were to start using condoms when the likely hood of her having it is high?

I know this is a virus that your body deals with and it just takes time.

Be happy to answer any questions the best i can. Just want a general feel of what people think or advise.

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

You should still wear protection ESPECIALLY if you are having them removed. It does make a difference. There could be a chance that she doesn't have it (them) right now and the continued unprotected sex could put her at a greater risk.

Have you got yourself tested to make sure that the type of HPV (warts) that you have isn't the type that puts her at risk for cervical cancer?

3. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I hope you made sure to tell her that you have warts. She should go to the doctor and get a pap smear and be tested for hpv. It can also be spread to her throat and mouth if you engage in unprotected oral sex.

4. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor New Member

You should have a blood test done to verify what strain of hpv you have.There are many different kinds.
    Some are worse then others,although it is my belief that the strain that causes warts is not one that causes cancer and is more benign.So you may have gotten lucky and gotten a less harmful version,but sometimes people do catch more then one version.So it's best to know what you are dealing with.
    If you do have the strain that causes cancer,then you absolutely must use condoms or you are putting your girlfriend at a huge risk.

5. Warlock

Warlock New Member

Thanks for the replys so far, I will continue to use condoms.

I have been to the STD clinic the NHS provides here in the UK. I don't know what strain it is but girls get the cervical cancer jab so they are protected against the virus that causes the cancer.

I told her as soon as i found out she was very understanding about it all.

She is going to get tested tomorrow, so fingers crossed all is well.

6. Polly

Polly Member

I think it's important to note that the condom isn't as effective a protection as many people think. This is a virus that is on your skin too, not just the mucous membranes. I think you should wait with all sex until they are gone from the surface of your skin.

7. AGFUNK

Gold Member

The hpv vaccine only helps prevent four types of hpv. 2 types that cause most of the warts and 2 types that cause the highest risk for cancer. There are over 70 types of hpv. So no getting the vaccine will not protect her or any other women from all types of hpv.

Here's some info pages Genital warts - PubMed Health and STD Facts - Human papillomavirus (HPV)

8. Warlock

Warlock New Member

Thanks for the links, i have read though them.

She couldn't go yesterday but has herself booked in for Saturday as the clinic was fully booked.

We will get to have a proper talk about it this weekend, ill find out what she thinks best and what she wants to do.