STD: Herpes

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Jerrrry80, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jerrrry80

Jerrrry80 New Member

Hey there,

I am new to SF and I hate that this is my first post but it is driving me crazy.

I recently became aware that I have genital herpes, I was given some meds by my doctor which cleared it up, but it seems like they come back about once every month or two.

I have read all sorts of home remedies and know that stress plays a big factor in it as well...

Does anybody know anything to help reduce outbreaks or anything else that would help?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

J

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

The only thing I've found to reduce the outbreaks is this article. Copy pasting for you.

Can sexual intercourse bring on an outbreak?
    Some people find that the friction of sexual intercourse irritates the skin and sometimes triggers a recurrence of symptoms. This is most likely to occur if intercourse is prolonged and vigorous, or if there is insufficient lubrication.
    Having less vigorous sex and using a water-based lubricant can help reduce the chances of this happening. Don't use one that contains the Spermicide nonoxynol-9, as this ingredient can irritate mucous membranes, such as the lining of the vagina. Oil-based lubricants are also a no-no as they weaken latex, making condoms more likely to break.
    Even if the friction of intercourse seems to be a trigger for your symptoms, it probably won't cause a flare-up every time you have sex. It is very important that you refrain from having sexual intercourse or contact with the infected area during an active outbreak, as this could spread the virus as well as prolong your outbreak.

And below is a list of items that help cause outbreaks, so these are things to avoid.

Phyisical Factors: ​

• Being run-down
    • Suffering from other genital infections (affecting the local skin area)
    • Menstruation Cycle
    • Pregnancy
    • Drinking a lot of alcohol
    • Exposure of the area to strong sunlight
    • Conditions that compromise a person's immune system
    • Prolonged periods of stress
    • Fatigue
    • Ultraviolet light
    • Friction or damage to the skin, caused by, for example, sexual intercourse, may also lead to a recurrence
    • Skin irritation (such as sunburn)
    • Surgical trauma
    • Diet and certain foods
    • Another illness (especially with fever)
    • Temperature extremes
    • Steroid medication (e.g., asthma medication)
    • Anything that lowers your immune system or causes local injury can trigger recurrences.

3. hsvhonestguy

hsvhonestguy New Member

diet diet diet really seems to make a big diff for me.

4. BiggyD

BiggyD New Member

I haven't seen a doctor yet but I have to wonder if I have herpes. Small bumps at the base of my penis. More on my body then penis.
    About a dozen tiny bumps. Maybe, maybe a slight burn?? Can't tell.
    Is there a place in here I could post a pic and get someone's opinion.??

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Better to just go see a doctor than have a bunch of non-doctors look at pictures and then try to decide. Only a doctor will give you a correct diagnosis.

6. BiggyD

BiggyD New Member

I agree, it's just more complicated then that.
    I've never had sex without a condom other than oral. So, I don't understand if it is herpes.
    I've been with the same girl for 10 years. But we've both been known to "play" outside the relationship. But always with a condom. And always with someone "approved" so... I can't imagine it is, but that doesn't explain the bumps.

7. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Sorry deleted my response as it would seem that I have confused it with another thread. Nothing more to add of values so again applologies.

#7 lbushwalker, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. oldkid

See a doctor. It's going to drive you nuts until you find out for sure.

9. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'd like to add that condoms do not prevent the spread of herpes. Skin to skin contact with the affected area can spread it. A condom only covers the penis, you have your entire area around it to worry about.

Get yourself checked out if you are really concerned. We are not doctors and can not provide you any information regarding your medical health.

10. BiggyD

BiggyD New Member

I was up all night last night. Literally... Thinking "could it be"
    "How do I tell my GF"? Does she have it?", "Did she have it first and not know?"

11. Silverfox

Gold Member

You're not going to know until you're checked, dude. See a doctor. If you have it it's best to tell your woman. It's not fair if you don't. Have it checked. It's not the end of the world. I've had it for thirty years. It just takes care.