Staying informed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sensless, Sep 9, 2017.

1. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

What do you do to stay informed?

TV news? What network?

Newspaper? On paper, or on the internet? Which newspaper?

Magazines? Websites?

All of the above? What's your favorite?

2. MasseurNaturel

Gold Member

The BBC website, no time for anything else really. Publicly funded and independent. In reality it's highly opinionated and anything but independent. And the weather forecast is hopeless, and us Brits love to know what the weather is going to be like. Really should try to find something better!

MissScarlett and sensless like this.
  3. DayPlay3

Gold Member

Ouija Board

4. Recooter

Gold Member

CNN radio, on way to and from office. I also have several websites that I follow that send me alerts.

And of course, the NY Stock Exchange

sensless and Mywife4u like this.
  5. woodster

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    npr for the news, noaa for the weather and i come here to get sexually recharged.

sensless likes this.
  6. Mywife4u

Gold Member

I love newspapers. Every day I read the Chicago tribune, the sun times, USA today and wall St journal.
    Website wise the huffington post, drudge report and BBC news for more of a world news.
    Politico and fact check during election times.
    The Athletic is a very good sports website..
    TV networks I just can't stand CNN msnbc or fox. Completely useless in my "expert" opinion.

sensless and Recooter like this.
  7. Recooter

Gold Member

That's funny, I swear by noaa for weather. Being fro the northeast it is important

8. woodster

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    very important in the southeast also if off shore fishing with any regularity.

sensless likes this.
  9. Bendy

Staff Member Moderator

Only TV news: CNN, Sky, and E!

sensless likes this.
  10. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

Whenever I read, or watch news about things I know well, they're wrong. I also can even see where news went wrong because of bad translation when they come from languages I speak. :(

This has made me very skeptical about media, including documentaries and popularization literature.:(

Just the other day, I've heard a journalist who has reported about the Mosul battle saying we can't trust what governments say, so she goes there to inform us. I went after her material. She had been with a group of fighters, following them during a few days. Everything the men told her had to be translated from Arabic into her language.

So, she was assuming they new what they were talking about, they were only telling her facts, her translator wanted to be precise and had a good enough knowledge of her language to do that. Whenever these journalists go to war, they're sent to meet fighters who are specifically good in dealing with the press and who are very good at the art of propaganda. It's appalling a journalist didn't realize that, or pretended she didn't.

Sometimes I see news about something going on in one place showing images or the map of... another place!

I've also heard interviews of a person who was speaking a language I know. The problem was that the reporter or narrator was telling that the person was saying something... but the person was talking about something else, or telling the opposite of what the narrator said.

CLE32793, Mr_E, Mikey22 and 2 others like this.
  11. IMNaughty

Gold Member

I have intentionally not followed any news outside of technology for the last 15 years, and it has been the happiest and most productive time of my life. I can't stand politics and the slant that people put on what is going on. I seem to get enough information about situations to deep dive (usually through Twitter feeds and various news outlets) into things that I do have interest and I can speak to the stuff I care about very well.

The rest of it, I can't control it, and I can't deal with all of the sensationalism of the standard news, so I have just dropped it completely.

afunk13, CLE32793, Mr_E and 2 others like this.
  12. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I follow news channels on FB and read what interests me. I don't watch the news, Read newspapers or magazines, listen to news radio.
    I am often very uninformed.

Mr_E, whybother, Stewty and 2 others like this.
  13. BeBop

Gold Member

I don't stay informed any longer. I've begun living under a rock on an island somewhere just off the coasts of Antarctica. The world is only driving me further and further into being a Nihilistic ascetic hermit.

(Note: Joking. It's because I stay informed via various sources both editorial and factual that I feel that way.)

MissScarlett, Stewty and sensless like this.
  14. MariaMaria

Gold Member

I used to be a news junky, but realized how much it affects my mental health, so I now consult a couple of news websites every day and then only watch the news in the evening because I want to know what's going on in the world.

CLE32793, Mr_E, xtacy4 and 3 others like this.
  15. Throbber

Gold Member

I doubt and question everything I hear. Every news outlet has their own agenda

CLE32793, Mr_E and sensless like this.
  16. Stewty

Gold Member

Great post Maria, I don't read any newspaper or watch any news channel any more.

MariaMaria and sensless like this.
  17. Sagittarius84

Gold Member

I read and watch everything from multiple sides..most sources have bias but truth can be gleaned. I force myself to watch conservative leaning media, so I may use their logic against them if necessary, or to find some sense of common ground. I watch liberal leaning media to keep myself honest and questioning of those who may use liberal optics to co opt a centrist or conservative message.

sensless likes this.
  18. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

I use global security.org for worldwide intelligence, you can use these sources and all their other data to confirm political, economic, military, science, ect and do your facts checking.
    Fox Business News for investment matters. When I do watch news on cable, they are all about the same and all have their own agenda and all slant in what direction they want. FNC is more entertaining. I do watch some ABC as well. Depending on any of the network or cable news just remember they all are selling something so that's why I use other sources to screen out the most viable story of the subject. WSJ, Drudge report and few other internet news feeds. Common sense will help you come to a conclusion if you care to know what the facts are.

sensless likes this.
  19. Mikey22

Gold Member

I've gotten kind of burn out on news. At the moment I'm just watching local news. And listen to a local talk show, on the radio.

20. xtacy4

Gold Member

Most of mine comes from social media :confused: Unfortunately. It's just the first place I see it. But, when I want to dig in deeper about a certain topic, I check multiple news sources. And then I'm still confused because they're all different based on their bias. So then I go to the ouija board :rolleyes::p