St. Lucia's Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HerHubby, Nov 28, 2006.

1. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

December 13th is St. Lucia's Day! See, what the SF ladies should all do is put a crown of candles on your head and, wearing a white dress (what you have or don't have on under it is up to you, ha, ha :brow ) and serve sweet rolls and hot chocolate to your guys for breakfast in bed! What you "serve" them after that is up to you! :brow Below is a song which you can sing to them, either in English or Swedish! Happy St. Lucia's Day on December 13th! :)

"Santa Lucia"
    in Sweden
    December 13th

This Swedish festival of lights helps to brighten up the long winter nights in December. It celebrates the life of a real saint, Lucia, who was known for her kindness and love.

HOW DO SWEDISH PEOPLE CELEBRATE THE HOLIDAY?
    On December 13th, one of the shortest days of winter, girls in Sweden dress up as Santa Lucia wearing a white dress and a crown of candles . Boys carry a candle and wear a kind of white pyjama. They wear hats that are pointy with golden stars on them.

In Sweden we do not wear candles anymore because before girls caught their hair on fire very often. Today we use modern candles with batteries in them.

After lunch most schools close on Santa Lucia day around noon. It is a national holliday which comes on the 13th of December. There are also special foods for Lucia's Day like Lussekatter and spicy gingerbread biscuits. In big cities in Sweden there are beauty contests where some women dress up as Santa Lucia and the judges and the people vote for the Santa Lucia of the year. In schools people sing Santa Lucia's song. The words in Swedish and English are found below.

WHO WAS SAINT LUCIA?
    Saint Lucia was a saint because of her kindness and her love. She was an Italian Christian who lived in Sicily in the 4th century. Some people believe she once visited Sweden. December 13th is also her feast day.

The way she became a saint was that a man who loved her and Lucia didn't like him, Lucia's mother asked her to marry the man but she refused so the man heard about this and he said he would burn her. But Lucia prayed to God to have the power to survive the fire. Because of her kindness to others her wish was granted. The man tried to burn her but she had the power to withstand fire so the man got a sword and stuck it into Lucia's throat. Still Lucia survived for three more hours speaking beautifal words.

There is also another story for her being a saint which goes like this.

Saint Lucia was a very kind person and there was a man who loved her very much but she didn't like him very much. The thing the man loved most about Saint Lucia was her eyes. Then she gave him her eyes but a miracle happened she grew back her eyes but this time they were even more beautifal then ever. The man asked for those eyes but she refused to give them so the man wanted to kill her and he killed her with a knife into her heart. [Um, better NOT tell these stories when serving the sweet roles! :uhh: ]

Song for Santa Lucia
    English Version

The night goes with weighty step round yard and (stove i.e. house, hearth?) round earth. The sun's departure leaves the woods brooding. There in our dark house, appears with lighted candles Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia.

The night goes great and mute. Now one hears its wings in every silent room murmuring as if from wings. Look at our threshold. There she stands white-clad with lights in her hair Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia

The darkness shall soon depart from the earth's valleys thus she speaks a wonderful word to us. The day shall rise anew from the rosy sky. Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia.

Song for Santa Lucia
    Swedish Version

Natten går tunga fjät rund gård och stuva; kring jord, som sol förlät, skuggoma ruva. Då i vårt mörka hus, stiger med tända Uus, Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.

Natten går stor och stum nu hörs dess vingar i alla tysta rum sus som av vingar. Se, på vår tröskel står vitklädd med ljus i hår Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.

Mörkret ska flyta snart urjordens dalar så hon ett underbart ord till oss talar. Dagen ska åter ny stiga ur rosig sky. Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page created: Tuesday, 26-January-99 19:05:55 EST
    URL: http://best.com/~swanson/holidays_index.html
    Materials copyright © 1999 M. Hos-McGrane, Grades 5 Class
    Unless otherwise indicated, graphics on these pages by L. C. Swanson
    adapted from images copyright © 1999 www.arttoday.com (used with permission).
    Web pages designed by L.C. Swanson.

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm going to make lussekatter for St. Lucia's Day this year. It's a traditional Swedish sweetroll flavored with saffron. Lussekatter means 'Lucia cats' in English, but never fear, there's nothing remotely feline about them. I made them last year and they were a big hit. It was the first time I'd ever made anything with saffron before and it took a little while, at least for me, to get used to the taste.

Here's what they look like:
    [​IMG]

You can find a good recipe here.

3. HerHubby

Gold Member

MMMMM!!!! Those look WONDERFUL, but I'll bet that they would look ever better with our sweet Puss carrying them in on a tray, wearing only a white dress with nothing underneath with a candle crown on her beautiful head! MMMMM!!!! Talk about LUSCIOUS and DELICIOUS!!!!! MMMMMMM!!!!

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

That gives new meaning to the phrase "getting religion" :lol

5. HerHubby

Gold Member

Those rolls would look especially lucious and delicious with our Bluesy carrying them, too! MMMMMMMMM!!!!! ;>

6. Bluesy

Gold Member

Oh, you flatterer, you ;) I saw your "Bluesy the playmate" post in the multimedia thread. Do you know that I'm going to get a litany of PMs now that say, "SHOW ME URS N ILL SHOW U MINE"? I'm forwarding all of them to you :p