Speeding ticket help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

My friend was admitted to the hospital coughing up blood and I was on my way to see her. Needless to say, I was speeding (80 on a 65pmg zone highway.) A cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket. I don't want care about the ticket, shouldn't be more than $100, but I don't want my insurance rates to double due to 4 points. Is traffic school a possibly to get rid of them? What is required of traffic school? I will be commuting to and from work about 3 hours each way for a few weeks and don't have much time for it.

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Would your insurance really go up that much just because you got one ticket?
    If that were the case... I'd have to mortgage my house just to pay the premium....:eek
    Over here...80 in a 65 zone would cost 4 points and 253 bucks...
    And what is "traffic school"??

#2 Hot Wheels, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. mintcake69

mintcake69 New Member

Here in the UK, most insurance companies tend to ignore 1 fixed penalty for speeding (3 points). I'm assuming you're in the US. Your insurance may well go up given the compensation/law suit culture you live in. That said, we sadly seem be going the same way in the UK.:eyes We have all these TV ads with slogans like "where there's blame, there is a claim".:yell One way or another we all end up paying for it while the lawyers get richer!

Sorry for the off-topic rant!:p

4. igor

Gold Member

A coworker just got her 2nd speeding ticket in a month. She paid the fine but has been put on probation. No school needs to be attended. Whatever the consequences are, it probably depends on if it was state, county or local jurisdiction.

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

In South Carolina, there is a defensive driving class that will get you 4 points back on your license (we use a 12 point system, and 15mph over the limit would be a 4 point ticket). The class is $70 for two 4 hour sessions one week in the evenings. Many insurance companies give you a discount if you present the course certificate to them. Every state is different, of course.

6. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

Happened to a friend of mine a couple months ago. He went to the hearing and the officer couldn't make it so they made a deal of just paying the fine and no points. Maybe if you have a hearing you could at least try to get the points knocked off.

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

Good point. The judge will almost always reduce the fine or charge if you just show up. And don't wear a marijuana t-shirt.:lol

8. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Should I bribe the judge with pot? :p

9. HardRocker

Gold Member

Yeah, Ninja, and jump over the desk and give him a hug.

10. Bubblez

Bubblez New Member

Haha! Good plan :p

I think you should mention what was going on. I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but maybe if you had evidence that they were in the hospital, they would take it off your record? I dunno though, not too educated on those laws

11. Falsehope

Falsehope New Member

In todays economic down turn, most traffic court judges probably won't reduce any fines. In fact, if you were to accidently fart and the judge heard it, he might even try to get you for contempt of court and slap another fine on you.... As regards to traffic school, most states have different agendas and some may not even offer them for violations. In my state, 15 mph over the limit will get you a hefty fine of approxiamtely $300 or more so traffic school is the cheapiest way to go.. At 20 mph over, plan on spending the night in jail and forget about having a license for at least 6 months as anything 20 mph over (they give you 1mph so 21mph over) is concidered a class 6 felony..(triple your insurance if you're lucky).

As for going to court, wear attire that is plain. Don't give the judge any reason to give you the look over because of simple art work. All it takes is one complaint (even if that complaint is mis-guided) to get a contempt of court charge. In my state, if the police officer that wrote the ticket didn't show up to court on the date you were suppose to be there, the ticket is thrown out with no fines and no penalties against your license. Burden of proof still falls upon law enforcement. Here's a hint...all speed measuring devices used by police officers (not the cameras that are unmanned) must be calibrated prior to being used. If said police officer can't show documentation or proof that the unit he was using at the time was calibrated, then the judge will most likely toss the ticket for lack of accurate proof (this does not include the timing method in which you are followed for a specified amount of time).. Hope this helps

12. jobs

jobs New Member

maybe a online traffic school,if you get seen on it maybe take docs on er visit.
    btw good info false hope :}