Societal Views of Sex/Sexuality

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Anotherday, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Anotherday

Gold Member

Why, in much of our society(s) is sex/sexuality such a big deal, particularly within the media we ingest?

Why is it that so many have little to no problem with film, video games, books, & shows that depict graphic violence, war scenes, horrific characters, etc. but the moment a boob is shown or some character's sexuality isn't of the "norm" people want to freak out?

This goes for "real life" as well. I've been to islands in the Caribbean and French Indies where nudity is just as normal as breathing. Families on the beach, kids playing in the sand, no big deal. But here in the U.S. we want to hide everything, make everything "dirty" including the simple human form.

I just don't get it.

2. Meee

Gold Member

A lot of people object to the violence too. Movies, video games, and music can get rated for violence. In real life, violence isn't tolerated more than nudity. Some of the societies that don't mind nudity as much as in America have more violence and treat women badly. There isn't a correlation between nudity and a free and peaceful society. Nudity isn't the answer.

3. Deepthinker

Deepthinker New Member

I know what you're saying Another Day. Sex / nudity is so looked down upon in a lot of circles. I feel bad for women sometimes because once they so some skin, take a naked pic or whatever it is total looked down upon. But a movie where a guy gets killed we glorify the hero....kind of weird. Shit man, if people knew what kind of pics my wife and I take they'd call us all kinds of names lol.

4. llepafils

llepafils Member

I totally agree with you. And Meee, although games or movies can be rated for violence, having a naked woman will automatically make it 18+, while killings and violence can still make it 13+.
    It's like we can show violence to children, but not sex.

On the subject, let me share a quote from George R.R. Martin:

5. almostthere

Gold Member

Because people are F ing idiots. I totally agree with you. Take last night for example. A new show, in the game or something airs right after the middle. Which btw is just a funny show. The new show is based on a single mom and her dad. It was pure sexual references and was advertised as a "family comedy". They made more references to gay,threesomes and cock size than any comedic lines.
    go figure.
    then a tit is on tv and the nut jobs have a shit fit

6. 12barblues

Gold Member

We're just ass backwards here in the US. Religion has us all messed up. Not sure why.... Other countries have god too, yet they lack our sexual hang ups ... Even more confusing is the fact we accept and glorify violence.... Go figure?

7. Trond

Gold Member

I would say America is somewhere in the middle. Some countries are far more highly strung about nudity while others are more liberal.