So I just splooged

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

and bought myself a decent razor. Got your attention, didn't I? :lol

I went with a Schick Quattro. Damn nice razor, however I'm confused over something. My goal was to get a razor with a pivot head, and I looked at the Gillette Mach 3. However, the Quattro was the same price and had 4 blades so I got that instead. On the Quattro, the blades have this very thin wire that looks like it's wrapped around the blades. What's that for? Is that to prevent you from shoving the razor down hard against your skin and getting a hunk caught in the blades? So it like, acts as a guide to keep from big sections of skin to get caught? Or what?

Any Mach 3 owners out there? Fusion? Etc? Do your blades have the wire things? It just had me curious...

I'm talking about the thin lines that go up and down on the blades. There's about 8 of them.

[​IMG]

2. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Well, you certainly can't slit your wrists with it, can you?

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Shouldn't you have said, "so I just splurged?"

Btw, there's no advertising allowed here at :sf. :p

#3 Puss_in_boots, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  4. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

My wife and I both use Mach 3s. No wires that I can see. I tried the Fushion -- got a freebie in the mail. I used it once and gave it to my wife to try. We both went back to the Mach 3 when the blades were used up.

5. Jayce

Gold Member

I wasn't advertising...

But anyway, yeah I just wasn't sure what it was. I figured if one brand would have it, they'd all have it. And if they don't, what's the purpose of it anyway? I mean if the quattro with 4 blades has it I would expect anything with 5 blades would be expected to have it too... but, guess not? *shrug*

6. bthornton

bthornton New Member

I didn't care much for the quattro when I got it... I like my mach3 or the the fusion the best. The fusion has the added bonus of a nice little trimmer on the back side.

Gotta be careful though, I was not once and took a nice chunk out of my knuckle with the back side :(

7. Jayce

Gold Member

What were you doing shaving your fingers? :lol

Yeah I went to Target to specifically get the Mach 3. But... I can't justify spending more on Gillette for 3 blades when Schick offers something cheaper with 4 blades... plus, the razor is insanely f'n nice... better than I thought. However, 3, 4, 50, whatever, my whole intention was to find a razor with at least 2 blades and a pivoting head, which I found. weeeeeeeeeeee

As I said, I just wasn't sure what the purpose of the wire was, and as to whether or not Gillette products (and other competitors, perhaps) had the same thing on theirs, since I obviously didn't get the Mach 3 to compare it.

8. bthornton

bthornton New Member

I think the point of the little wires is to prevent nicks, if my razer had them I probably wouldnt have been able to cut up my knuckle!

It still hurts, over a week later

9. Jayce

Gold Member

Just can't help but to think though... if something so simple is effective as hell, why the fk isn't a company like gillette (who's a big competitor) using it too?

10. Massaker

Massaker New Member

I use mach 3. I got a free quattro in the mail and it just does't get the job done as well as the mach 3 in my opinion.

Do more blades actually do a better job or is it just some marketting ploy where they keep adding another blade to one up the other company?

11. I.Hollywould

I.Hollywould New Member

I bought a Quattro for Women a few months ago and wondered the exact thing you're asking. I assume that they're there for safety reasons or even blade stability. I have no idea though.

12. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I expect it's somewhat a marketing ploy, but in 45 years of shaving I've seen a lot of improvement....

I've gone from:
    Gillette Double Edge to
    Shick Injector to
    Gillette Track II to
    Gillette Sensor to
    Gillette Mach 3.
    (Not to mention a few feeble attempts to use electric razors.)

Each one was a significant improvement over the previous model -- closer, smoother, cleaner shaves with less abrasion. I think the Mach 3 was the biggest improvement of all. I love that system. Not only do the shaves last longer, but the blades seem to last forever.

13. Jayce

Gold Member

That's one thing I noticed about the Quattro. The blade life span... I have very thick hair, and I've shaved my head about 5 times with it and they're still sharp as hell. Before when I was using some kind of 3 blade disposable razor, I'd get 1 good use out of them. If I was daring and didn't mind a few scars, I could use it a 2nd time... but for the most part they were 1 time use ONLY before they sucked. Here I am, same cartridge of the Quattro, 5 shaves, sharp as hell...

Like I said I almost bought the Mach 3. I hear good things about it. But I really can't complain with the Quattro's performance. It really came down to a price vs bargain for me, so I went the route I deemed to be a better choice.

14. Jayce

Gold Member

I just read that Gillette spent 750 million on developing the Mach 3. Not to be a dick, cause I'm sure it cost a good chunk of money to develop such a thing... but shit... 750 mill????? :drool

Due to the Quattro's well covered cartridge, it was harder than normal to wash the accumulation of hair fragments out of the blades... so... I got a Mach 3... which is open in the back, which is easier to rinse off. :lol

<--- nerd

But it's okay. Cause I'm going to go get wet and naked in the shower now.

15. antinora

antinora New Member

i have been thinking about these but i think its a waste of money doubt it helps at all

16. Jayce

Gold Member

So what in the world do you do when it's time to shave???