So, I don't have much money and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

My girlfriend and I are at that point where we're both in college and realize we don't have money to go out together that often or to buy each other gifts, so it's not a big deal to us. But I've been wanting to get her something... In fact, I thought about getting a solid block of wood and carving something.

She's in love with music. She loves her violin. She loves everything about music, any kind of music. That's what she's studying in college.

Just give me some ideas... I thought about carving a violin out of a solid block of wood. I have all the time in the world to finish such a thing, since I'd just do it in my spare time and she has no idea. But when you look at a violin, I'm not sure how to do certain things. I also thought about doing the music note. Not sure, though... That may be easier, cause I could just jigsaw most of the big stuff and slowly sand it to perfection.

It doesn't have to be wood carving. Just something. Right now I'm kind of stumped.

2. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Well, I think the idea of carving something (then varnishing it to protect it) is sweet and romantic and a hugely wonderful idea. There are also many low price ideas that I'm sure we can come up with that will remind her that you love her, and spoil her a little. Let's see what we can come up with....

You have a friend who makes glycerin soap in many sizes, shapes, and scents. It'll cost that friend a buck to ship it, I think she'd do that for ya. A candle and some shower gel or bath salts.... $2 to buy and ship. Her favorite soda and candy bar with a beautiful card..... $5...... Her favorite movie previously viewed on DVD.... cheap.

I'll keep thinkin'.........................

3. Jayce

Gold Member

I hate to say it but movies are a bad idea. She's got a couple hundred DVDs that she buys in the cheap bin at wal mart.

I plan to hand-write letters to her this year. In fact, I better get started on one, probably do it tomorrow since I have off class.

But it's amazing. If you take a piece of wood, and mold it into something that looks like shit, if you hand sand it and don't give up you'd be surprised what kind of amazing item you can create.

I think I'm gonna do a "cleft" I think it's called. It's a music note.

I think I could make a decent looking one. And since it's all flat (I'll explain in a minute) it would be relatively easy to make, especially with a stable jigsaw and a fine, fine blade.

When I say flat, I mean in comparison to the violin. If you folks have ever seen a violin up close, the neck continues down to the body, and at this point the neck has no more contact with the body, but it's still about .5 inches off of the body. It's hard to explain, but a wood carving of that would take a long time.

If I do the cleft, should I do a base for it? I was thinking about making some kind of hook on it so she can hang it, because she has more room to hang things from walls as opposed to having shelf space for them (cause her damn dvd collection hogs everything).

4. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Ok then. So ya don't need us. I'd love to see a picture when you're done. :)

5. Jayce

Gold Member

Nooo I do want you! I'm just trying to keep a broad mindset on this. I just don't want to be set on the cleft if there's a better idea out there.

6. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Dude, there's no better idea than something you know she loves, that shows her that you love her! Honestly.

7. Jayce

Gold Member

I wonder what kind of wood to use... the only wood I really work with much if medium density fiberboard (MDF) because of the fact it's so fucking strong and sound resonant... I used it when I was in car audio, I'd build sub boxes out of it.

I know it'd work out well, MDF sands nice. But it doesn't stain, and I'd like to put wood stain on it. Any carpenters here? Looking for a nice wood that stains and doesn't chip/shred, and has similar characteristics of MDF...

my hinder album just got done downloading. It's badass.

8. pirouette

Gold Member

Ebony or ironwood, but you can't afford either I'm sure. Go for a good hard wood like oak. Maybe cherry. It would stain nicely. Look for a block with no knots.

9. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

My dad would tell you that an old piece of barnwood would work great, and be prized. I admit I'm not a carpenter.

10. pirouette

Gold Member

I am the only woman I know who owns a lathe! Whatever you get Jayce, be sure to use the right tools. And sharp ones. Don't use old bits. I use an extra fine sanding pad for finishing the sanding.

11. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah. I plan to. My dad went a little crazy when our garage was built 6 months ago and got all sorts of cool power tools. He's kind of an amateur carpenter, building odds and ends things. I've always considered myself good at carpentry, as far as shaping the wood. I don't know much about certain types of wood, though.

12. pussycat69

Gold Member

Well,I think your idea is sweet and thoughtful and should work out just fine.Show us pics when your done.

13. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I think making her something special out of wood is a great idea. I've made several gifts of wood carvings, often with clock works. I usually combine hardwoods, like oak and walnut or cherry, but you could do it all from one wood too. I'm sure your dad could help you get started.

14. colinglenn

colinglenn New Member

This sounds like half of the O. Henry story of the impecunious lovers. Let us know how it ends. Colin