So how many are sick?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dreama, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Dreama

Gold Member

Or are you lucky enough to have evaded the fervent attack of cold and flu season? Unfortunately, its that time again here in KY, and it seems like everyone on campus is sick. Unfortunately, hubby and I have been no exception. I guess we're lucky, as we have mere head colds, but they're still bitches to deal with. I've had to drink peppermint tea like its going out of style, take lots of vit. C, and generally bum around all sick-like. I hope everyone else is healthy and well...If anyone has any tips to alleviate congestion other than using nasal spray and taking hot showers, I'd sure appreciate it.

2. college_girl

college_girl New Member

I have a cold now too. It's no fun :(

3. Dreama

Gold Member

Its not, is it? *Sick kisses* Hopefully, you won't catch mine too.

4. cbrmale

Gold Member

It is spring moving to summer where I live. Seriously, I recommend to everyone to get a flu vaccination, as flu can be deadly. In my country, more die of the flu than in motor accidents. I once caught the flu and it caused a cascading series of health issues that left me with scarred lungs, a hole in one lung, and insulin dependent diabetes. So the flu can be no joke, and a quick trip to the doctor and an injection can save a lot of drama. Where I work, pre-winter flu vaccinations are offered for free.

Flu vaccinations are about 90% effective.

5. Dreama

Gold Member

Wow, cbrmale-I had no idea the flu could be so serious, here, a flu is just another normal winter thing-I mean, I've never known of anyone dying of a flu, at least not personally(and you hardly hear about people who do).Flu shots are offered, but I never thought much of them. Maybe I'll swing by the doctors office to get a flu shot one of these days-after I've gotten over my cold.

6. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

cbrmale is 100% correct too......it's a real issue here, no risk....
    I've had the shots and still copped it twice in about six years...it usually gives me at least a week off work....starts with a runny nose...then the aching joints...then the congestion....and the coughing....your appetite goes...you have to summon the energy just to even go to the toilet or roll over in bed.....and then there's the hot and cold sweats and shivers....the headaches....my doctor told me that some strains are like getting over a snake bite...plus, it's contagious too...so usually your spouse gets it as well....
    The only upside is that it only makes you think your dying for a week or so....then things start to get better...if you can call that an "upside"...:(

It's probably the sickest I've ever been.....but at least I didn't have as bad a time with it as cbrmale....lung problems and diabetes....sheeese....sorry to hear it mate. :ugh

#6 Hot Wheels, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  7. Dreama

Gold Member

Wow-then I will definitely be going to the docs office for a flu shot.

8. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I very rarely get the flu and it's been years since I've had it, although I do get colds every year. I had a pretty bad one at the beginning of this month and the poor Swede came down with the flu just as I was starting to feel better. He had a fever that lasted several days and it took about ten days for him to start feeling like himself again. The last time I had the flu was in 2000 or 2001, but it was a bad one. I had a fever for about a week. It was during Christmas break so I didn't miss any school or work, but it was during Christmas break! :yell

The year after that was the only time in my life I've ever had a flu vaccination.

9. Dreama

Gold Member

Wow, Puss-Hope you don't catch the Swede's flu-indeed, those do suck

10. igor

Gold Member

I have a light cold right now. I just got my annual flu shot and last year I also got a pneumonia shot. I have COPD and don't need any other respiratory problems.

11. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

My Mom has this too, and gets both shots. My family gets the flu shot every year, and we all usually get a few colds. Right now (fingers crossed) all are healthy!

12. BassDude

BassDude New Member

You can really help drain the gunk (head, nose, and chest) by taking some over-the-counter guiaffenisen (sp?) tablets. Mucinex is the most common brand and while not cheap (about $20 for 40 tabs), they are worth it. Be sure to drink a whole glass of water with each tab...the more water you drink with it, the better it loosens all the gunk. Be prepared to cough, sneeze, and otherwise hack it out!

You can also greatly shorten the longevity of a cold by taking over-the-counter Zicam (the zinc tablets, chews, spray, whichever)...again, not cheap but clinically proven to shorten and reduce the severity of a cold.

BD

13. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

I know the Flu sucks and for some can be really dangerous, but I had no clue it was that deadly o_O I suppose that its possible that the local strains of the Flu in Australia simply might be more harsh than the strains local to hear...but still! More deaths via flu than car accidents? Seems a bit exaggerated, honestly...

14. BassDude

BassDude New Member

Yeah, the flu can be deadly. I don't know about in Australia, but here in the US the folks bearing the worst risk are young babies and the elderly. It'll make us young and middle-age adults wish we were dead, but it usually doesn't kill us.

BD

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

I came across this statistic when I worked for a public hospital several years ago. Strains of flu in Australia are no less deadly than any other country, as our vaccinations are compiled from the strains in circulation during the previous northern hemisphere winter. In the US at the moment, the annual death toll from flu is more than 47,000 per year, possibly as high as 60,000, which is much greater than the road toll (slightly more than 40,000).

The Australian road toll is 1,600 and the flu death toll is about 3,000.

16. Dreama

Gold Member

Cool, I'll pick some up-I drink a bunch of water anyway, so I should be good.

17. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

I guess you need to look at people who already have a lower immune system (cancer etc) who then get the flu and die, as opposed to people who die in auto accidents.

have a read here if you want http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/f/flu/stats.htm

18. cbrmale

Gold Member

A lot of smokers also die of the flu. They don't have to be very old or very sick, just have damaged lungs which leads to other complications. My health problems were caused by a low-level auto immune disease which I didn't know I had, which was triggered into destructive action by a case of the flu. As a result of this sequence of events, I ended up with the health problems listed above.

19. Squint

Squint Member

Don't normaly ge the flue, but I used to get a cold at least one/yr particularly if I had to do jet travel for work. Live in Wisconsin and the winter doesn’t seam to ever end…

Then my wife started me on 2 oz of Mona vie twice a day. Basically it a super high antioxidant fruit drink.

Sleep better, handle stress better, don’t get very sore (anti inflammatory effect), more wood and haven’t had a cold in 3 years. If you can’t tell I recommend it if you care about your health. Also works for my better half.

20. Master9804

Gold Member

Me and Hotbabe have been sick all week. We fucking hate it. But mine is getting better. Her sInus is still giving her hell. She wants to get this over with cause with her sinus means no sucking me off and sex is hard with her breathing. So we just snuggle for now.