Sin City? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by BareHug, Mar 16, 2006.

1. BareHug

BareHug New Member

Good evening all. I have found the boards very interesting as usual. But one thing jumps out at me. I don't think that anyone, or almost anyone, who posts is from my hometown, New York City. Why is that interesting?

Being born and raised here, I have always heard through the media that nationwide, people believe that NYers lead uninhibited, adventurous and "amoral" personal lives. NYC=Sin City -- I do not think so.

I moved to Tennessee for grad school and lived there for over 5 years. I then moved back home. While I was in Tennessee, I became aware of more adultery, spouse-swapping, and other assorted affairs [with/without the other partner knowing] than I had ever come across in NYC. It was just shocking, especially when the alcohol flowed - people falling over another right in front of their spouses. I am no prude; I had often started relationships with new women while the previous relationship would be fizzling out. But, I have never cheated on my wife.

The idea that NYC is Sin City is pure B---Sh-t! At the risk of sounding like a provincial NYer, could it be that in environments with less "going on" that people have more time to develop a more inward-focused need for pleasure/excitement?

Anyway, thanks for listening, and I apologize in advance if I pissed anyone off.

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I believe you are right. When people get bored, they probably tend to go outside the realm of appropriate behavior to satify a need for excitement. In New York, it's mighty hard to get bored!

Now: :eek:t : to add fuel to 'burn up' more silly notions about NYC:

I have found that the people in NYC are some of the nicest, friendliest, most helpful people in the world. Regardless of where I was in the city, people would smile, say hello, give directions, help out.... And I'm from a place known for "southern hospitality"!
    The cabbies, the street vendors, the NYPD, the 'Naked Cowboy', the doormen at the Waldorf (yep! -even THEY are congenial to pee-ons like me) - they have the best sense of humor and good hearts. I love NYC and the people there. Probably the worst experiences I have had in the Big Apple have been with other tourists who seem to think you must behave brash in order to survive in the City. Nothing could be further from the truth.

3. Thorn

Gold Member

Maybe that's because the New Yorkers are actually out there "sinning" while we on sexualforums.com are only talking about "sinning." :lol

4. BareHug

BareHug New Member

New Yorkers can be very nice, and their expressiveness can be taken as a kind of natural warmth. BUT, during morning and evening rush hour, watch out. NYC is very stressful for everyday living; e.g., keeping a schedule, b/c it is a very difficult place to move around in when in a hurry. When I used to live in Brooklyn and had to commute to Manhattan by subway, it would take about 1 hour, 15 minutes to go just 5-7 miles. On top of that, the subways are VERY uncomfortable and crowded. So it is during those hours that NYers have earned their reputation, somewhat unfairly.
    I also learned, while in Tennessee, that the edgy sarcastic humor of NYers can also be taken the "wrong" way. I was essentially quarantined, or placed in protective custody for the first two years I was down there. But, I will never forget those southern beauties sitting up high in their pickup trucks, pony tails bouncing and an umbrella in the gun rack.

5. Rose

Gold Member

Funny you should say that. We have found getting around in the City to be easy, and fast. And Cheap!! We usually stay in a small european-style hotel on a side street near Radio City Music Hall. The subway entrnce is 1/2 block from our front door. Make it down to Southern Manhatten in about 15 minutes (+/-). I have never commuted to another burrough, though, so that may be different.
    Oh and I love bargaining with the street vendors. Can't do that much where I am from.

6. BareHug

BareHug New Member

I'm glad you enjoy it.

If you do your sight-seeing in non-rush hour traffic, it's a lot easier and quick, especially within Manhattan. Apparently you stay in a great part of town-centrally located. Hope you continue to enjoy our fair city. One day you'll visit and it will seem more like Sao Paolo or Calcutta or something. That's life.

7. dabody

dabody New Member

The way I see it, the whole world is a potential 'sin city'. All humans are imperfect and whilst some might not engage in certain types of 'sinful' behaviour, they'll definitely be thinking about it. I agree that some areas / towns / cities etc might consist of a majority that subdue their sinful side and maybe look down on those that don't care and just do what they're doing anyway. But I think wherever you're from there are going to be people that have that adventurous side to them. Even if they keep it under wraps most of the time, alcohol will usually bring it out, as Bearhug mentioned.

8. SpanishPrisoner

SpanishPrisoner New Member

Why is no one from Guatemala posting here? That's interesting. I think that proves the fact that all people from Guatemala are like NYers, nonsinners.

You pissed me off by apologizing. Why apologize when you know you might piss someone off? Then just don't write that crap, angry man. And if you want to say something, don't apologize for that. That's wussy behaviour. Stop it.

9. Rose

Gold Member

I have Guatamalan friends. I have been there. I have lived among them.

They are so far removed from American...or Swiss.. or Spanish lifestyle.
    I'm not really sure what it is that you are trying to say. I only know that it probably has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

If you detest New Yorkers - then say it. Don't bring the fine, humble, loving people of Guatamala into the theater -only to demoralize them. They are fine poeple. They have never seen the likes of Central Park, Wall Street, or Donald Trump. They likely never will.

ps - this is not a flame - just a humanitarian nudge. If you need to make a point....make it. Don't degrade a country in order to do it.

You are still my friend. ;)

10. LilKitten

LilKitten New Member

I'm a New Yorker and I post here!! :) I commute into Manhattan from Queens every day and while during the rush hours, the subways are rather crowded, I've never had any trouble with anyone being rude to me or anything like that. In fact, it's been quite the opposite. The people I've encountered are generally will to hold the door open to the subway so you can get on the train and not be late to work (or school in my case). I am originally from Wisconsin, so I admit when I moved out here I was worried that all these scary New Yorkers were going to rip my head off, but it totally wasn't the case! I now consider myself a true New Yorker and I love everyone in this entire city!! :tup

11. Thorn

Gold Member

:tup :tup :tup

That's my opinion from 3 visits to NYC. :D

12. SpanishPrisoner

Rose, my lovely lovely Rose, that is exactly my point! :) (maybe I should have used more smileys to accommodate my point in my previous post (can you say that?))

What I wanted to say that if no person from Guatemala or for sakes any other people from other country that is not involved on this board doesn't make them purer or less "dirty". He's text (not he himself in general I suppose) is kind of hypocritical to me (maybe I was a bit frustrated that day and saw it like that like I see it today because we people don't change opinions that much since we like to defend ourselves like he did on behalf of New Yorkes :D ). It's just I can't see it when people generalize things like "we New Yorkers are not like you say" and the same time say "we New Yorkers are like this" and "others are like that".

That's why I took a person from Guatemala who I presume and like you said probably will never come on this board or even come in touch with much of american culture, like some other people who live next door never come on this board. What makes the difference? I dunno much, but I know it is certainly a too simple logic used in the initial statement of this topic.

I am a bit confused now, but hope you got some of my points. :D

13. SpanishPrisoner

one more addition.

my dad was in NYC in early 80s (he went there often for business matters) and was once robbed by three african-american women near central park or wherever. Does that mean the city is dangerous?
    Or all the other occassions where he wasn't robbed at all and even walked at nights alone to jazz clubs and had fun time; does that make the city safe and fun overall?
    People tend to moralize it globally. It was nice and safe, so NYC is overall nice and safe. I got robbed, NYC is dangerous and sin city. That doesn't make sense.

So, BareHug was pissed off, that people moralized his beloved NYC to a dangerous and rude place in general. So he generalized other things to compensate. Which is normal balance making in the first view. But it's also crap and hypocritical to me.

14. BareHug

BareHug New Member

am angry? :whoa

15. BareHug

BareHug New Member

Hi Rose. You are probably wasting your breath. For 16 years I worked with young Europeans who came to NY to work in my boss's lab. As it turns out, the "sophisticated" European tends to view the American [especially heartlanders] as being less than sharp-witted. Basic politeness and low-key approaches to debate and disagreement that Americans is generally interpreted as us being ignorant dullards. The Spanish Prisoner [from Switzerland] is apparently of that ilk. Her hostile diatribes are so convoluted that I cannot bother trying to sort out the point.

16. BareHug

BareHug New Member

Hi Rose. You are probably wasting your breath. For 16 years I worked with young Europeans who came to NY to work in my boss's lab. As it turns out, the "sophisticated" European tends to view the American [especially heartlanders] as being less than sharp-witted. Basic politeness and low-key approaches to debate and disagreement that Americans is generally interpreted as us being ignorant dullards. The Spanish Prisoner [from Switzerland] is apparently of that ilk. Her hostile diatribes are so convoluted that I cannot bother trying to sort out the point.

17. SpanishPrisoner

Ah common! I have family in LA, I love the average american people, because I know a lot of them.

You are trying to put me off as an ignorant person so you don't have to discuss or debate about this topic with me. Isn't it again hypocritical that you started this topic at all? Maybe you wanted to get rid of it and let it go from your heart because you continiously got confronted with such people for the last 16 years. What I call that is a kind of anger to let out. Which you misinterpret it in a negative way. Yes I apologize for calling you angry man, but it was anger that you let out. That's positive. But don't insult me by comparing me with the average "sophisticated" european.

And no! Rose is not wasting her breath. It is NEVER wasting time or anything to protect and to stand for a thing you believe in as long as you are open minded. Don't push Rose into a direction where she will just stand behind the line and watch the world go by her without her influence. Because there is one thing in your life that must be: You have to matter!

I don't like it that you gave up only after 16 years. It's a lifetime matter to stand for what you believe in. Bad things happen when good people don't do anything. So stand up and don't be a wuss and don't apologize for your point of view!

18. Rose

Gold Member

Gentlemen....please.... Miss Rose is quite capable of carrying herself through a thread - even a heated one like this. LOL

Now, for the sake of fairness, I must also dispell some unfounded notions concerning Europeans.
    I was 'warned' that I must be ready for the "Oh God! - It's another American" attitude. Especially while in France. (LOL)
    To help smooth the road, I knew I would have to ask directions at least a few times, so I practiced up on my high school French. --- yeah - that would be some 35+ years ago.....
    Everywhere we went, we were embraced with kindness. Most times, after toying with my head (and my "french"), they would revert to very fluent English, and answer my question, or whatever.

Quite frankly, I believe that if one does not enter another's country (or city - e.i. New York) with some gawd-aweful attitude, you will find the people as a whole are congenial, helpful, respectful and friendly.

SOOOOOO! -
    BareHug & Spanish Prisoner! I sentence both of you to spend an entire evening in the "Hide-Away Bar & Grill". You must flip-flop between Double-Bock Beer and Cosmopolitan Martinis, all the while saying only positive things about each other's homeland.

...yes - I am a Libra.....

19. BareHug

BareHug New Member

Hi Rose. I'm an Aquarian...big surprise. Anyway, you're right, Europeans are nicer on their own turf - the French?- eh. But have you realized that this person does not start a thread; she only sits back and snipes and pontificates at what other posters are trying to reveal and resolve. But, she's gotta nice rack if that's her own pic.
    Take care.

20. Rose

Gold Member