Sigh, people are savage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by loveit247, May 27, 2008.

1. loveit247

Gold Member

2. cbrmale

Gold Member

My wife is Zimbabwean, and we have been following the situation in that country quite closely. As things deteriorated, it was inevitable that refugees would flood into South Africa. How does one survive with 100,000% inflation and 80% unemployment? Indeed, how can we even imagine the suffering underlying those percentages?

As illegal immigrants, they will be exploited. So the Zimbabweans are undercutting the South Africans in terms of wages. In addition, Zimbabwean Africans are better educated as the former Rhodesian school system was much fairer on the African majority. So these millions of Zimbabweans are better educated, speak English better, and are better able to deal face-to-face with whites.

This doesn't justify what is going on, but it was inevitable that something like this was going to happen. The real tragedy is not what is happening in the shanty towns of South Africa, but that the world has turned a blind eye to the destruction of the most prosperous country in Africa. Had the South African government stopped funding the excesses of the ruling Zanu PF party in Zimbabwe, the Zimbabwean crisis would have been stopped dead. But they didn't, because the ANC felt that if they cut Zanu free to be overrun by a political party formed out of the Zimbabwean Council of Trade Unions, a similar scenario could happen in their own country. That is, the only likely opposition party to the ANC would be formed out of the Trade Union movement. And so, the ANC blindly supported Mugabe and his cronies. And this is what eventuated.

You call them savage, but this is simplistic. I am married to an African, and I think I understand the underlying reason for this type of behaviour.

3. loveit247

Gold Member

Understand or not, it is wrong to burn people to death because they are willing to work and you are not.

4. cbrmale

Gold Member

I am married to an African, and I sort-of understand African culture and I sort-of don't. Africans are often, as you would know, the kindest and most gentle people. And yet, we have these savage outbreaks. I heard stories from my in-laws of atrocities during the Rhodesian civil war, which were mostly about putting people in buildings (often Churches), locking the doors and burning the building down. I think, maybe, that Africans haven't yet reached the ephinany that Europeans have reached in regards to the underlying savagery of human beings.

And I don't mean this as a statement of superiorty, because Europeans of the recent past undertook the holocaust, and the British were guilty of the dreadful savagery associated with the night-time area bombing of civilian areas of cities when technology was well-developed for daylight raids on strategic targets. And one night near the war's end they burned to death 80,000 in Dresden for no good reason.

5. loveit247

Gold Member

Yes, because you married an African you now understand an entire continents belief system. LOL! Whatever.

People are savage, ALL people. No matter their race, religion or culture. This is not solely an African issue, this happens everywhere.
    People are beaten to death in Europe, America, Asia, everywhere my man. Just because your wife is from Zim does not mean you know an entire continent of people.

My SO is Zimbawean, does that mean I know what every Zimbo is like? No. You are pontificating for the sake of hearing your own "voice".

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

I think I typed I sort-of know African culture and I sort-of don't. I check again and the answer is I sort-of know it and I sort-of don't. And not just from my wife, we have many African friends from all parts of sub-Saharan Africa. And, as you know, most sub-Saharan Africans have common (Bantu) ancestory, like my wife. A common cultural heritage that started in West Africa and gradually spread east and south.

I totally agree with you that savagery is everywhere, but what surprised me is that burning people to death is not uncommon. In the Rhodesian civil war, fighters burned villagers for going to Church by locking the congregation in the Church. Burning people alive, or being burned alive, is really, really awful.

7. dondeluis

dondeluis New Member

not good

8. loveit247

Gold Member

Well, I have a couple of Austrailian friends, does that mean you all have the same cultures and beliefs?

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

Anglo Australians like myself, we have a common cultural heritage and values. Australians are socially egalitarian, we believe in giving others a fair go, we believe everyone is as good as everyone else, we believe in standing up for someone who is doing it hard. Boss and employee, we're all the same. It's a 180-degree reaction against British class distinction. Our culture and our belief system is surprisingly homogenous.

10. loveit247

Gold Member

It is pretty clear that you have a limited understanding of the various cultures and tribes here. It is too diverse to even go into.