Show me your cars! (56k warning)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Acid7711, May 4, 2006.

1. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Well, I'm curious as to what you all drive and what you have done to them :) I've got 2 cars, I'll start off with my pride and joy.

1989 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
    ---------------------------------------
    90k original miles
    302 5 liter v8 EFI engine
    T5 5-speed trans.

The car is pretty much still stock. It's in mint condition. I just bought it maybe 3/4 of a year ago. It has NO rust on it. Runs great, pulls extremely hard. It's my nice day/Summer only car. I don't have much done to it. It's got Flowmaster cat back, catless H-pipe. I've also installed a Cobra MAF, drop in high-flow air filter, and did a rear end swap. I swapped out the 3.08 gears to a 3.73. It really gave the car some more get up and go. The biggest thing done to it, it came this way, was the previous owner must have done a 5-lug swap on it all around. They added some wheels. I'm unsure as to what they are. I was told once, and forgot :( Well, enough talk, onto the pictures! The engine shot is from the day I brought it home. It looks a lot better now. Still pretty clean for a car that's 17 years old :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

And now, my other car.

2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS
    ---------------------------------------
    130ishk miles
    2.0L Beta1 EFI engine
    5-speed trans.

This was my first car. It was a learning car. I never had any interest in cars when growing up. This car started it all. I know it's a "ricy" car, and I've gotten a lot of crap for it over the years, but it turned out to be a great car, still runs pretty good minus a couple problems, but yeah. It's my daily driver/Winter car. This thing has WAY to many mods to mention, I'll start off on some of the bigger ones. I did turbo this car from scratch. I did all the work myself on it, the fuel map recalibrating and everything was also done by hand, by me. The turbo was cut way short because it's seals shit out and ended up blowing oil EVERYWHERE. It was a huge mess. Annnyways, some of the mods: ACT heavy duty clutch/pressure plate, AOS cai, full 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust, Magnaflow muffler, 4-1 header, p&p&bored intake manifold, bbtb, MSD dis-2 ignition, B&M short shifter, Unorthadox lightened/underdriven crank pulley, Konig wheels, Kuhmo rubber, 1.8 semi-high intake camshaft, bla bla bla list goes on.

For those interested, the turbo components consisted of: DSM 14B turbo, Audi FMI, Vortec FMU 12:1 disk, DSM turbo manifold (with work done to bolt up), DSM bov, DSM turbo injectors, DSM turbo fuel pump, Apexi SAFC for tuning. Now for some pictures. For the pictures with the turbo stuff, I lost a good deal of my pictures in a harddrive crash. Hopefully these will give an idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turbo pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--------

I don't want to be made fun of for the Elantra. I've gotten a lot of crap for it, but yeah. I know it's not a lot of people's thing. So there ya have it, let's see what you guys have! :) Sorry for the two long posts.

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

The first one is a very nice looking car for an '89.

4. impulse

impulse New Member

I love mustangs :), had a 92 lx 5.0 5 speed but got rid of it. got me in alot of trouble with cops..

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Acid ... Dude the Fox body gives me wood ... but that Hyundai ...dude ... What is she thowing at the wheels?

And the Mustang ... 1 word for ya ... VORTEC! If I remember correctly, the stock internals can take a 6lb. pulley. Wheelstands anyone?

6. Nikki

Nikki New Member

I drive a minivan, I call it The Big Thing...I hate minivans. It's a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country. I don't like it enough to waste my time taking a picture of it. Don't get me wrong, it's really nice...and pretty...*ugh* but I feel like such a soccer mom when I'm in it.

My first brand-new car was an '01 Elantra...I LOVED that little car, I cried the day we traded it for The Big Thing. It was a stick and it just knew how to go and go and go. :( *sigh* So I certainly won't give you grief on yours..at least you gave yours some personality!

My Husband has a '90 Cougar sitting in the driveway, it's broke dick but he loves it too much to throw it away, so it shall forever rot away in my yard.

7. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

The front car is my Dodge Durango 5.9 RT . ... Let's see... what have I done to it? ... ummmm - I ran into the back of a lady's mini-van once.
    I also spilled a whole bucket of wallpaper glue in the rear cargo area. It DOES have an upgraded stereo system. :D Not exactly 'pimped', but I like it.

The grey ghost in the back is Thorn's work truck (yeah - the infamous one that has "loads" of rags laying around. HAHAHAHA!) Anyway, that's an '89 Dodge Ram Truck. Probably one of the ugliest trucks known to mankind. but I tell you what, that thing purrs like a kitten. No bells or whistles, just one solid truck. Radio's broken, A/C works when it feels like working, and you have to use manual power to roll down the windows.

But my daddy sold it to him i guess about 10 years ago. We figured if we got 2 or 3 years it would be good. My Daddy passed on, but his truck is still kicking. Kind of sentimental. :(

ICE34.jpg

CLICK TO ENLARGE

8. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

I'm unsure if that's a good, "but that Hyundai" or a bad one? haha. Uhm, I don't know actually. I never tossed it up on the dyno. It's been a great car. I probably would have never bought it had I known anything about cars, but in the end, I sure am glad I got it. At the end of all the mods, it was a decently quick car. I'd love to supercharge the Stang, but I'm so broke now it's not funny. I can barelly afford the payments and gas on that hah. I worked a LOT of hours with a good paying job when I had the Elantra. I wish I'd have saved that money and dumped it into the Stang now :D

And yes Nikki, the Elantra's a fun car. Awesome gas miliage, good base power for a 4banger, great handling. Fun little car. Even after a misshap with my ignition when the engine started detonating horribly while driving, all that happened was the piston ring got a little burnt I think. Makes a little noise because of it, but it's still goin good enough to be a daily driver hhe. I had a friend with a Cougar, but one of the new ones. I loved it, but I think he beat on it too much cuzz he blew the headgasket at only like 60k miles.

Kisses on here had one of the 1.6 Accents fully loaded. Thing was pretty peppy. Was a nice little car. I actually did a high output intake manifold swap on her new car. Maybe I'll toss a couple of those up. She's got an 01 z24 Cavi 5-speed 2.4L. Things pretty damn quick for being near stock.

Sorry to hear that Rose, looks like it'll be goin for a long time. I'm a strong believer in any car being able to last at least 150k+ as long as it's well taken care of. A buddy of mine's parents had a Durrango. Thing was pretty decent. My first car was an 81 Chevy Malibu. That thing was a beast. 305 in it, sucked gas, had soooo many vaccume leaks, almost killed me on more than one occation, but I still loved it hehe.

9. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Current car: 1994 Honda Civic DX ... slow as piss.

Yes, well I think I'm planning on a used S2000 or perhaps see if I can dredge up a gently used EVO VIII once I'm out of college.

I really want to find out if an LS1 will fit in the S2000 ... give that little bastard something it's never seen before in its life .... torque.

10. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Hah yeah. I've been wanting an Evo for a looooong time. I would like to find a used one, but it'd be very hard to find one that hasn't been abused.

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

That's why I'm leaning toward the S2000, Usually bought by people that are looking for a pricier Miata. The idae of a 2001 or 2002 BMW M3 is tugging at me as well, but those are expensive as hell to mod.

The great thing about the EVO is that a pair of street slicks, an EBC, Exhaust, and an ECU flash will usually net you low 12s high 11s.

12. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

I've been drooling over the new M5's myself. AWD, mmm. I have pictures someplace of a couple crazy bastards, they're dropping an LS1 into a like 90's grand prix. Things going to be crazy. They've already gotten it in and wired, they're plumbing the turbo right now.

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

How the hell are they fitting a turbo in a 90s grand prix WITH an LS1 ... I wouldn't think there would be enough room in the engine bay for that. Yeesh.

I have a bunch of pictures from some of the car meets around here, I'll get them up eventually.
    Personally though, I was never really a huge fan of high displacement engines. It just .... seemed like cheating to me.

Oh and the thing about the hyundai ... props for doing your own work, i really respect that ... but ... WHY FWD? ;)

14. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

It's a tight squeeze. let me tell ya, the engine alone was a tight squeeze. And since it's going to be ls1 with a fwd application, they have no headers. The manifolds they made are horrrrrrrible. I think they're going to flow like shit for the turbo, but what do i know. lol. :D

Uhm, the hyundai was bought because at the time when i got it, i knew nothing about cars. my first car (one that died and i got the hyundai) was an old 81 malibu. it had a huuuuge 4bbl carb, way to big for the 305 in it, and it had vaccum leaks, it sucked gas like crazy. at the time i wanted a 5speed, 4 banger that was GREAT on gas. That's all I wanted. When I bought that car, I had NO interest whatsoever in cars. None. It wasn't until my friends started telling me I should do stuff that I started learning and doing stuff on my own. With that car, I couldn't just open a page like every other owner of a Civic and buy stuff. I can say that now owning a 5.0 ;) hahah. Now I can open the magazine and find every little part, but it's ok cuzz I did a LOT of fabrication on the elantra myself.

15. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I s'pose ... but if I wanted to start modding something, I would have sold the Hyundai and bought a used 240sx. But that is just personal taste. On of the guys I know is looking at getting his hands on a 5.4L for his 01 Stang GT. I must confess though, the idea of dropping this in my Civic if I had the money has crossed my mind:
    The Beast - Honda Crate Engine

16. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

240's are REALLY hard to find in good conditon here. I looked hard when deciding what to get, and finally settled on the 5.0. I musta looked at about 10 different 240's within 50ish miles of here, all at least 9k, and every single one of them was a shitbox.

Besides, I've always been a huge fan of people that do stuff to cars not commonly seen. Any fool can buy a "whore car" imo and goto anywhere and bolt on parts. But, it takes someone who knows what they're doing to do work to a car that you can't buy premade stuff for. For me, that's half the fun. I can't talk anymore, but I own a Mustang, but with that Elantra, you had to make/do damned near everything yourself, because they just didn't make stuff for them at the time. Anyone who does that and runs 15's as opposed to someone running 12s from just bolting stuff onto a common car earns my respect any day of the week.

Like I said, I don't expect people do understand why I liked the car. I've gotten so much crap over the years for it, but honestly, it's been a great car and decently quick too considering what it started at.

17. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I agree, I'm a fan of shoedorning obnoxiously large engines into little cars. For example ... there's a FD RX7 with a blown LS2 in it ... the aluminum block/head of the LS2 is only 138Lbs heavier than the stock 20B Rotary. That makes me happy.

240s are getting really rare, I suppose the used market will have to wait for the 350z to fall in price to make up for the lack of RWD sport compacts. Nissan needs to rerelease the Silvia in the US.... pisses me off.

18. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Yeah, I agree. I like engine swaps, but sometimes I dunknow. I think if you have a car that came with rotary, just keep it rotary. But I know people like different things.

My uncle recently aquired a mint condition rx7. I want to see it so bad, but he lives 3 states away and won't drive it down for fear of rock chips. It has like 12k original miles or something on it? He said it's just mint. He was supposed to email me pictures, but he's not too computer savy.

19. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Is it the FC or FD body and chassis?

20. Acid7711

Acid7711 New Member

Honestly, I don't know much about them so I couldn't tell ya? :shrug