Should sex with minors be illegal?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Joe, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

An 18-year-old girl in (I think) Indiana was recently arrested for having sex with a 15-year-old male classmate. Because she is 18, an adult, and he is 15, a minor, she's been charged with statutory rape. The prosecutors say they're simply following the law and don't believe they have the option to not prosecute. (The boy's parents complained.) She *could* face an 8-year prison term.

I first had sex with my ex wife when I was 16 or 17 and she was 15. I guess I was legal until I turned 18, at which time she was 16; then I became a rapist and continued that path for two years until she turned 18. (We were married a few weeks after her 18th birthday.)

1. Should it be illegal for an adult to have sex with a minor?

2. Should an 18-year-old be prosecuted for having sex with a 15-year-old?

3. Should an 18-year-old be prosecuted for having sex with a 17-year-old?

I think if they're within 3 or 4 years of each other, they should be entitled to give "consent". A legal eagle would probably say that's not possible; a minor can't give legal consent. How do you think it should be handled?

#1 Joe, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

if i'm not mistaken Minnesota has a law that states if the 2 parties are within like 32 months (why not 36 i don't know) of eachother it remains legal even if one party is over 18. as long as the younger party agrees that it was consensual.

heh, a friend of mine looked it up because he was dating a girl younger than him and didn't want to get in trouble.

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

This is a case where I think no. Teens have been arrested and their lives ruined for only a few months age difference. I think 16 should be the cut off for an 18 year old max.

4. CoraShai

CoraShai New Member

I don't believe in one size fits all justice, especially in cases like this.
    For one thing, it's no secret that some mature faster than others, not just sexually but emotionally..so to say this dumb 18 year old over here can give consent but this fully aware 16 year old cannot is simply stupid, methinx.
    Furthermore, if prosecutors cannot use their discretion in deciding whether a criminal court trial for something like this is mandated [and worth the tax-payers' money] or that an 18 year old serving 8 years and getting a permanent sex-offenders record for what is undoubtedly a youthful [and mutual] indiscretion..well then why don't we just hire robots to dispense justice for us and be done with human D.A's and judges.

5. Master9804

Gold Member

Ok In Indiana the age of consent is 16. if they would have waited until she was 16. the law couldn,t really have done a thing. The man being over 18 has really nothing to do with the law. if she is under the age of 16( age of consent) there they go after who is over 16. some states have a law that if they are so many months apart it,s ok or a Judge might let them off the hook. but i see the points being made for like three years apart and making it like he is stalking little girls or something. that,s going a bit to far. he is still basically a kid too. not a 60 year old stalking 14 year olds. but 16 or 15 is a good cut off age. anything below that and it,s asking for trouble. Some states have age of consent as low as 13 or 14. depends on where you Live.

I know a friend who was arrested for having sex with his GF and she was in two weeks going to be 16 and he was 17. Now he has to register as a sex affender and they are married and have to two kids now. now that,s messed up.

6. Againstthetide

Againstthetide New Member

emancipated minors....

There's also something called an "emancipated minor" which means that an underage person's parents can give permission for him or her to marry.....in some places the bride (or groom) can be as young as 14. This can mean a marriage to an adult, or another underage person (who must also have parental permission). So, it is legally possible for two 16 year olds (or a 16 or 17 year old) to marry each other or an adult partner without breaking the law and comitting statutory rape.

But it if is simply sex with out parental permission and permission to marry, charges can be pressed against the adult.

7. Shellen77

Shellen77 New Member

While that is true, it can become illegal in some cases.. For instance there is a case that was just handled in my city about this. A guy who was an adult (I believe he was between 19 & 21) had sex with a 13 yr old girl. He ended up getting her pregnant. Her parents gave permission for him to wed the daughter. When she turned 14, they drove to Kansas & got married. That is legal in Kansas, but once they cross the border into another state (ours is Nebraska) it is illegal. Our Attorney General caught wind of the story, he pressed charged on the guy for having sex with a minor & now the guy is in prison for almost a year.

8. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Thirteen is too young for a guy that age. I think there should be an age limit in months. I'm glad he went to prision. The age limit is there to protect children. Although sometimes cases can get crazy.

9. Master9804

Gold Member

I saw that story on the news. I personally think they went to far on that one. Yes 13 is a bit young. But he did marry her and he could have at anytime ran. But he didn,t. So he should go to Jail for doing the right thing. They should think about the welfare of the child and let him be Daddy and support his Wife and Child. Now if he had sex with her and ran then I think he should have gone to prison.

10. kinkywelshguy

kinkywelshguy New Member

hi, in this country (uk) the law is that if you are under 16 then it is illegal to have sex. according to the law you are incapable of agreeing to sex till you are 16. It does seem a bit of an ass but the day before you are 16 you are not capable of agreeing but the next day you are capable. There has to be a line between what is illegal and what is not, but i think the courts should take into account the age and mentality of the minor when deciding on the level of seriousness of the offence. An ex friend of mine has just been sent down for life for having sex with children between 9 and 12 and also having over 5000 indecent pic of children from 6 months to 15years on his pc. personally i think he should be castrated as well.

11. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

i believe the chemical (or physical) castration of sexual predators is fair punishment.... sigh too bad i think its considered 'cruel and unusual' in the us

12. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I did not see this story, however, I am inclined to agree with Master.
    Perhaps, in an attempt to thwart future situations like this, the Judge forgot about 'double victimizing'.

The new bride is quite impressionable and in a fragile state of mind. Now, while her husband is incarcerated,the 14 year old is left alone. She now must rely on the government and family for the first (and most important) year of this child's life. Hopefully, since her family gave permission for the marriage, they will also encourage and bolster the young couple until he gets out.

An added note - his ability to provide for this and subsequent children they may have will forever be 'difficult' at best. This being because now, he must register as a sex offender for his life. He is dumped in the same trashcan with ass holes like "kinkywelshguy's" ex-friend.

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Ahem ... I think I need to take up Kbate's cause on this one
    19 and a 13 year old?
    SICK! JUST SICK!:mad

14. fantasien

fantasien New Member

13 and 14 year olds are out of bounds and is immorally wrong. I'm glad that guy is in prision, They should have given him more time in prison than a year.

Now, 16 I think, should be the cut off for someone thats between 16-21.

15. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I think you mean "morally wrong"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.