Short Story about MrKitty and I!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reflect169, May 30, 2011.

1. Reflect169

Reflect169 New Member

Sundays at the shop were always slightly slow. Never any need for more than one barista, and a surprisingly low coffee order, in comparison to other café’s I had worked. Dishevelled men would stumble across the floor grunting for their ‘morning after the night before’ beverage. Some would be conned by housemates and end up desperately trying to balance six coffees home. Mothers would come in groups during the sports halftime. Families would walk idly by the storefront and notice that we, unlike any other shop on the strip, sold coffee on a Sunday! Yet still, the numbers weren’t many, hardly enough to keep a competent barista happy, and they came in waves. So the deal was as such, with every shop sale that came through the counter, I’d try to sell a coffee.
    “Have you had a coffee yet today?”
    ”Some caffeine would cure that hangover”
    “Are you after a coffee as well?”
    “I was about to pour myself a latte, would you care to indulge?”
    I was used to the Sundays droning on, the coffee rushes would appear and disappear just as quickly, leaving my fingers burnt, and coffee grind drowning my t-shirt. I smelt of fresh espresso, and the heat from the machine blushed my cheeks to a contented glow.
    I suppose as barista’s, we all have ‘those’ customers. Regulars that make us smile. Local shop owners, with the latest gossip. Customers who drive us up the wall with their insane ramblings. There are kids who always get special treatment, and parents who appreciate the kindness. With any luck, one day there come’s a customer who strikes a different note. One who makes the ‘contented glow’ something other than heat blush. On a Sunday evening, if I was lucky, he would come in.
    I remembered his coffee from our first liaison, and he was greeted every time after by “large soy latte?” within a few steps of the door. I’d often consider writing my number on the lid, but I never gained the confidence. Each time I saw him walking in, my heart fluttered. His voice was low, his eyes were blue, and his smile was breathtaking. I’d fumble over the milk as we both tried to make idle chit chat about subjects that would hopefully incite some sort of conversation.
    After a few months, our brief meetings became longer, our chitchats began to resemble something a little more alike of friendship, and our once fleeting looks had turned into longing stares across the counter. Mr Soy Latte had become my most favoured customer, and of course, soymilk was now, more than ever, my strong point. Interest turned to romance the night of a carnival. We followed one another through the blinding lights, over the grass, and grasped arms with childhood excitement.
    Soon enough we were inseparable. It seemed nothing could shake my feeling’s of utter bliss. My boss was intrigued, and shocked to find I had fallen so deeply for a customer. As soon as the word ‘love’ left my lips, he found himself beginning to wonder upon something. “so, now you can be honest with me” he started, “what do you really think of our coffee?”
    My heart sunk when he replied “I didn’t really come here for the greatness of the coffee.”

2. Mittimer

Gold Member

Mr Kitty is awesome. ^_^ <333 Lucky lucky guy.

3. Reflect169

Reflect169 New Member

:) awwwww.......thanks