[Ask a Guy] Shaving (facial) blade or electric?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Hot Wheels, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

My electric shaver has just died....:eyes
    Got me thinking, what does everybody else use?...a blade or a shaver?
    If I use a blade too often, my face gets irritated and that's why I went the electric route....
    Because I shave every day, I really should go with another electric shaver....
    The one that just broke was a Phillips Philishave that did a reasonable job for about 5 years or so.
    So what brands do you guys use?.....any recommendations?

2. Untamed

Verified Gold Member

Don't shave! grow a beard :)

ps. sorry for posting in and "Ask a Guy" thread *hugs*

3. BlueLizard

BlueLizard New Member

I use a blade. But I dont shave but once every three days or so. Lots of bald spots and very light thin hair...that is turning greyer by the day...

I don't care for electric razors. When I do have to shave, it feels like the hair is being pulled out of my face...

4. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

Yes! Beards ftw! Way too few men have beards in my opinion.

I use an electric razor, I think it's a Braun. However it's the first and only one i've bought so far so i dont have anything to compare to.
    You're right in that electric razors are much easier on the skin but they dont shave as close as a razor blade.

5. Hypno

Hypno New Member

I used to use electric but found it a pain as I then needed to shave twice a day....I know manly or what. I also suffered from skin irritation so now I use KingofShaves alpha gel, and the razor is Gillete Fusion - they also do the balls a treat! :)

6. Texas_Red

Gold Member

I use a Mach 5 and water.

7. backcheck64

Gold Member

Yep, Mach III and water in the shower. My stubble seems to be too much for electrics, they just couldn't cut it close.

And Taken, I won't grow a beard or mustache anymore, I have very little grey in my hair, but the facial hair all comes in grey....I"M NOT THAT DAMN OLD YET.

8. Northside

Gold Member

I have a full beard but still have to shave my neck and upper cheeks. I use a blade. I like your new name, Untamed.

9. Trond

Gold Member

I'm an old-fashioned shaver. I like using a shaving brush to build up a nice lather on my face.

I use a steel straight razor when I have time. I never use it if I'm in a rush. It gives a very "clean" feeling but the learning curve is steep, and it's really not for everyone. The major problem is learning how to keep the edge extremely sharp and smooth at the same time (using a hone and leather strop). Now I am able to keep it sharp enough to cut my arm hairs by passing the blade a few millimeters above my arm.

Otherwise, I use a double edge razor with disposable blades. Mach 3 is also decent.

10. wetness1

Gold Member

I use Gillette fusion power :) (wet shave)

I shave once every few days. I DO NOT go against the grain so I don't get much irritation.

11. Jeff_StillBlazin

Jeff_StillBlazin New Member

Fusion pro glide

or mach 3

Electric when im in a hurry

12. Martin_Baker

Martin_Baker New Member

My job requires me to be clean shaven, which means I have to shave every day except weekends. I have always used a blade, never electric. I haven't yet found an electric shaver that I felt cut close enough. I always shave against the grain, it gives a much closer cut that lasts all day. For me, shaving with the grain always leaves it feeling like it's not finished, like it's only half done. Shaving against the grain used to irritate me years ago, when I first started shaving. The irritation didn't last long, and I have no problems with it now.

The biggest help I've found is to shave while in the shower, the water softens the skin and opens the pores, making it easier to shave.

13. GreyGoose

Gold Member

Mach 3 for yrs

14. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

When I started using the Mach 3, Quattro Schick, shaving became easier.
    I also shave after shower and the hair is softer to shave, you will feel a difference. I find gels annoying when rinsing the blade so I prefer old fashioned foam / cream.
    Now I use electric seldom since.

15. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Hrm, yeah I meant Fusion, not Mach 5. Same shit anyways really. And I *do* shave against the hair, at least on my cheeks. The skin under my jaw doesn't take so well to that, and gets badly irritated. But my cheeks are fine, and shaving against gets an extra smooth shave.

16. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

Try the battery operated one with the blade, I use it when I have a few days' worth of scruff on the face. Works great too.

17. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Yeah, that's what I have. The button recently broke off so I have to use my pinky to turn it on. Honestly thinking about switching to cheap disposable 3 blade shavers though, I'm tired of paying ~$30 for 4 heads for the damn thing.

18. HardRocker

Gold Member

If I use the blade and shaving cream it gives a really smooth shave, but some of the whiskers always get ingrown. I guess if you cut the hairs that short, they can't find the hole and become ingrown.
    So I have been using a three head electric Norelco for a few years. It works good and leaves no irritation. It will shave pretty close if I use lots of LectricShave first. I think it provides a lubricant that helps.
    Now that it's wearing out, I have been using a Wahl beard trimmer with no guide on it. Kind of gives me a salty look.

19. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Back in my juvenile hall days they had Remington Micro-screen type shavers, with the double hump screen thingy. The only way to get a really smooth shave with those was to really dig it into your face. Not comfy at all, and it didn't last near as long as using a razor.

20. Trond

Gold Member

If you want a close shave, but have problems going against the growth (with razor burns and ingrown hairs), you can try going first one pass WITH the growth and then ACROSS the growth. Works very well with the straight razor at least.