[Ask a Guy] Shaving and grooming.

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by RoyaleWithCheese92, Oct 24, 2010.

1. RoyaleWithCheese92

RoyaleWithCheese92 New Member

I prefer to be clean, bald and smooth however I have sensitive skin. Therefor I have only shaven a handful of times. All ending with bumpy bad razor-burn. This is the reason I groom now. I don't like the feeling of not being clean shaven, but I really don't like itchy annoying bumps either. I have tried after shave products made to prevent bumps with no success. :mad

Does any body out there have sensitive skin and know to shave without breaking out anyway!?!?

2. Michellesoldman

Michellesoldman New Member

Well I think the occasional bump here or there just comes with shaving, but something that I've found to really help me---yes I have sensitive skin---is to shave "the boys" while sitting in a nearly-full bath tub. Somehow, when the shaving takes place under water, the irritation is almost completely eliminated.

Also, try to avoid shaving against the lay of the hair. You won't get that silky-smooth shave, but you should end up with MUCH less irritation.

Finally.....shave every single day. If you wait between shaves, there's more irritation.....at least for me.

3. too_thick

too_thick Member

Do not shave against the grain.

I do get a few bumps every now and then.

4. RoyaleWithCheese92

Oh I would be fine with a few here an there.... but this is NOT the case at all.

Really? Every single day..? Interesting. Im a twice a week face shaver lol so obviously I don't no what im doing shaving wise.

So your saying shave my "boys" (balls) under water. What do you use (shaving cream wise) that doesn't come off under water?
    What about the rest of the pubic area? Is that above water or under?

5. RoyaleWithCheese92

I guess I should also ask. I prefer I am shaven because I feel cleaner, but what do girls prefer guys pubic region to be like?

Oh natural, trimmed, groomed, clean. Does it matter?

6. Michellesoldman

I don't have to use ANY type of cream under water---none.

And yes, I shave everything except a small strip of hair right above my dick. I don't know why I leave it, really. I've just done it that way for a long time. And yeah, it's ALL under water when I shave.

7. Michellesoldman

Obviously, I'm not a chick, but what I've heard over and over is that most women prefer a man to be "well kept" in regards to a his package...lol. I've never heard any die-hard rules for how a man keeps his junk, though.

8. RoyaleWithCheese92

ok, thanks. All underwater no cream. Got it. I will let you know if it works. I hope it does!

9. Mittimer

Gold Member

I'm a girl who has insanely sensitive skin. I get razor rash (Bumps blood the whole nine yards) if I do it in a rush and not use anything on my skin. Personally, I've found using Dove Lotion (not shave lotion, the lotion you put on your body) for sensitive skin work really well for shaving. Put a thin layer of it over my pubic area and it leaves no bumps. Also, don't use aftershave or cooling creams on your public area. It will always cause irritation. Your face can handle far more abuse then your genitals can.

10. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

Buy a home waxing kit. If ladies do it, why can't you? It would seem only fair.
    Smooth skin, no bumps, less maintenance... what's not to love? Buy a leather strap to bite down on.

~Steve

11. Mittimer

Gold Member

Holy hell!
    I can't imagine a guy waxing his balls.

12. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

Okay, story time.

My ex-gf shaved her pubic region completely. Even before she was with me. She also complained about it constantly to her friends and mine. I'm not sure why, but she complained about it being a hassel, how she got muscle cramps from bending over to do it, how she sometimes cut herself, about razor burn, ... everything.

I finally said, "Well, why don't you just wax it?" And she looked at me like I was an idiot. I told her that it can't be any worse than how bad she was making shaving out to seem. So she thought she had me when she said, "Yah... I will when you will."

So I went and bought a waxing kit, the kind you put in the microwave. We went into the bathroom and I applied the wax and strip to the crook in my right groin. Then I told her, "Look. Watch my eyes." And I proceeded to wax my whole groin without blinking. Fourteen strips.

Now I'll admit that I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I sure never heard her complain about hair-maintenance ever again after that. And from that day forward she found out how much simpler waxing really is.

~Steve

13. Michgu

Michgu New Member

I use a phillips-norelco bodygroom electric shaver. Leaves no bumps or irritation. Just make sure to use a non-scented shaving cream. All my balls I use a normal razor (like the gilette fusion) since the bodygroom is kind of awkward for that area. Also, a talc powder seems to help keep the area dry after you shave and that helps stave off the irritation. I use one called "balla powder" which both my wife and I love.

14. too_thick

too_thick Member

Just tried shaving against the grain. I did not get any razor burn
    I did this:

get the Axe Detailer(shower body scrubbers) (use the red or blue side depending on what Color you buy) and use it to exfoliate this skin prior to shaving you will need to use some body wash also . This is to get rid of dead skin,dirt and oils.

Let your skin and hair warm up/soak up some water as it will make the skin more stretchy and will cut the hair with out much trouble.

So you have your razor all ready, warmed up your skin/hair and exfoliate . (A GOOD expensive one such as the hydro5 or proglide. I used the Schick hydro 5) now start Shaving DO NOT PRESS HARD.. then exfoliate again right after shaving .

#14 too_thick, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  15. RoyaleWithCheese92

When you say "Just tried shaving against the grain.", like today? If so, let me know in a couple of days if you get bumps. Sometimes my bumps come the morning after or even a couple days later.

I actually have the hydro5 for my face and designated one of the clip on razors for pubic shaving so thats what I will use.

16. AdamMc

AdamMc New Member

I use an electric razor to trim the public hair down to basically stubble, then shave normally. With less hair to get stuck in the razor causing irritation.

I'd also advise against shaving everyday, surely not good for the skin and the area in general. It'll need time to recover. I'd say if it bothers you that much just trim, thats all I do and it looks neat!

17. Martin_Baker

Martin_Baker New Member

I can honestly say I've never had a problem with needing time to recover. I have to shave my face everyday, so I find it's just easier and quicker to shave down there everyday while I'm at it. My hair doesn't grow insanely fast so I find if I do it each day, it's more like a quick going-over than a shave. I don't need to use shaving foams/gels/soaps to shave down there, I find just having the running water in the shower is enough.

18. Michellesoldman

That was the point I was trying to make earlier, but apparently I didn't really get it typed out....lol.

If ya shave everyday, then there's just little bits of hair to shave, not a New Guinea rain forest.

19. LilBAM

Gold Member

I've been messing around with different ways of going about grooming my pubic area for a while now, and what I've noticed is that my skin needs time to heal inbetween shaves. I tried shaving on a daily basis for about 3-4 weeks, and the amount of bumps there was ridiculous. So I have to agree that shaving on a daily basis is not good for your skin, since you'll almost certainly get a lot of bumps.

What I've also noticed is that when I shaved every day, I would run over the area with my fingers, and it would still be rough in some spots. Shaving over wouldn't help. Still little bits of annoying stubble. Oddly enough though, when I let it grow out for 2-3 weeks, then shave it, the area is as smooth as can be, and it feels AMAZING. For the record, I only shave in the shower with water, no cream or anything like that. I use those razors from Gillette that have 5 blades, used for smooth shaves, and I use it very gently on my skin.

It's odd to me that waiting for that area to grow out for a while, then shave, would give me smoother results than shaving on a daily basis. Anyone know why that is? Skin irritation maybe?

20. awakened

awakened New Member

I think i am back to shaving. I had a brazilian for the first time, 9 days ago. Prior, I have been shaving with both electric lady shaver and some expensive vibrating disposable razor thingy, but dont like because you are supposed to use a new one each time you shave, i do this to help from getting razor burn on my sensitive lips !!!!.
    Well back to the brazilian, some strips were painfull, but well worth it if I have stayed smooth for at least a week, and i mean baby butt smooth. i am trying Michellesoldman tip and shave today in my luxurious bath tub with some lavender essential oil mixed in.