Sf exercise/nutrition tips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeff Powers, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

I was noticing that there appears to be plenty of folk on these forums that are in good shape and seem to be diligent in taking care of their bodies. I was just wondering if some of you guys/gals would like to share your personal insights into what has worked for you regarding exercise and diet. I bet that there are many others that want to make improvements but might not just know where to start or how to maintain, whether it's for a season of time or an entire lifestyle transformation. Anyone want to share their thoughts?

gentleman3 and Sweetlysad like this.
  2. MrsGhost

Gold Member

I am not one of those that is skinny/fit and such but I have improved my health an now lost just over 50kg an still looking.

I use my fitness pal to track my diet and calories :) it has worked really well for me.

Now I do walking/hikes when I can with mates (looking for more to walk with), and I did do gym. Since moving though I haven't been able to find a good trainer. :(

I do have a few before/afters if anyone would be interested....

3. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

Wow, 50kg! That is really cool and a great motivation. The before/after pics would be a great idea if folks have them available.

PerfectPussy and MrsGhost like this.
  4. MrsGhost

Gold Member

20160901_024914.jpg 20161013_085811.jpg

Here is me. Started out at known weight of 159kg (I know from clothes I was bigger, just don't know weight).

First pic (pinky dress) is only photo of me at above that starting weight. I estimate about 165kg, maybe more.

Second pic was when I was at 159kg. Just took comparison this week as I hit the 109kg mark.

So yeah :D

5. HazHardHat

Gold Member

Looking fantastic @MrsGhost WOW! All that hard work paying off, props to you :)

6. PerfectPussy

Gold Member

Wow! Congratulations you look great! Keep up the good work GF ;)

MrsGhost and HazHardHat like this.
  7. HazHardHat

Gold Member

p.s. your dog @MrsGhost in that second picture with the bicycle cracks me up! :p

MrsGhost likes this.
  8. Hardlyfe

Gold Member

wow that
    I'm a personal fitness trainer, I have clients that would kill for that kind of transformation! hats off to you and kudos!

Sweetlysad, PerfectPussy and MrsGhost like this.
  9. MrsGhost

Gold Member

Oh he was like "lets get going!!!"
    He sits in the back basket now and if I slow down he bites my butt!
    He likes the wind in his ears.

HazHardHat likes this.
  10. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

MrsGhost, that is great, I hope you can reach your ultimate goal. One general principle that I've realized with the whole fitness/diet realm is that "you are what you do consistently" over the long term. I know that there can be many variables that contribute to our state of being, but I've seen time and time again that good results happen when you make habit changes and daily disciplines little and often over the long term.

Keep doing what you're doing

PerfectPussy, MrsGhost and HazHardHat like this.
  11. MrsGhost

Gold Member

Cheers :D

Thanks :D all done with just diet and starting to walk. At first I could only make it to the mailbox and back. Now I happily hike 10 -20 km :D

Thanks :D for me a lot of it has been a real mental game. Having always been super big and obese I really struggle with being this size. Also to over come binge eating habits.

I am at maintain atm in till I am ready to loose more mentally. I am hoping in next month or so to find a trainer again to help.

Overall I can say MFP has been massive in helping me to understand just what my eating habits were, how to change them and what i need to fuel my body.

** enough about me, on to others :D

12. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

Sometime soon, if you all want, I'll post some of what helped me drop about 15kg since this past May as I went on a beast-mode rampage to get my old strength/fitness back to where it used to be. I've got some very detailed nutrition and exercise concepts that I followed to a T and that seemed to give great results for me.

gentleman3, PerfectPussy and MrsGhost like this.
  13. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

I am not skinny/fit either, but I too have lost weight this year, without trying. I eat a plant based whole food diet (vegan) I eat as much as I like as long as it doesn't contain, meat, fish, egg or dairy. I enjoy my food more that I ever have.
    I work out 6 days a weeks. I enjoy the gym. I do group fitness classs, including Zumba and yoga. As far as exercise goes it doesn't matter what you do it's just finding something you enjoy.

14. Sweetlysad

Verified Gold Member

Wow, you look amazing!

Hardlyfe and MrsGhost like this.
  15. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

I agree with you Sweetlysad and In my personal journey with all this, I attribute "most" of my results to nutrition changes. You know the old saying..."you can't out-run (or out-lift, etc..) a bad diet."

PerfectPussy, MrsGhost and Sweetlysad like this.
  16. BaileyB

Gold Member

My husband trains at an elite powerlifting gym. He's enormous ;-). He provides my training regimen which is 4 days of lifting and 2 days of some kind of conditioning, running and/or boxing. As for nutrition we don't get too stressed about it. We eat whole foods and very loosely conform to athletic macros but don't count calories

MrsGhost and Hardlyfe like this.
  17. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

I also had a lot of success with using one of those macro calculators. I went from 205 in May,(Im 5'11" tall fwiw) down to my current 176 by simply following the general principles of reducing calories and sticking to my macro numbers on the basics like fat, protein, carbs, sodium, fiber, etc....it has worked very well. I took their BMI maintenance recommendations and reduced the overall calorie goal by approximately 20%.

Looking back on the process, my diet has mostly consisted of meats, vegetables, nuts, some fruits, rice, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes....and let me add plenty of green vegetables like raw spinich, arugula, and kale. I stayed at about 1800 calories per day and maintained a VERY basic weight training and cardio routine. This was a big change for me as I used to compete in Olympic Style lifting.

As for supplements, I used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, vitamin C, B12, Citrulline, and Glucosamine. No fat burners, no fancy potions, or anything like that. Just good, solid, meat and vegetables....and little to no sugar, low sodium, and plenty of water.

consistency over the long term will get you there

My weight training was/is three days per week
    Day 1
    Squat--4 sets of 5 with a weight that is 80% of my one rep max
    Bench-4 sets of 5 with 100kg
    arm work/bicep/forearms...curls and whatnot

Day2
    Deadlift- 4 sets of 5 reps with 80%, same as above
    Overhead press-4 sets of 5 with 80%
    arm work

Cardio
    6 days per week I do a brisk walk up hills around here for about 30 minutes
    ON NON LIFTING days I'll do a 20 minute run at night with plenty of hills
    Bodyweight exercises.....handstand pushups and pullups

This is what I did, so maybe you can get an idea or two that'll help. Like Sweetlysad mentioned, you can probably do another kind of exercise, but I have found that strength training can really change the shape of your body.

Hardlyfe, MrsGhost and PerfectPussy like this.
  18. PerfectPussy

Gold Member

Just started back with my trainer in September. ..my summer was too busy. .but I managed to maintain from June so I was happy about that. She's hard on me & keeps me accountable. ..don't tell her I'm drinking beer tonight ;) teehee :D

19. Jeff Powers

Gold Member

Beer? You cheater!!.....:p If I was training you, I'd bust you up good in your next workout to make up for the beer

gentleman3 and PerfectPussy like this.
  20. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I've be an athlete my whole life. I'm too the point were I can no longer eat what ever or how much I want and
    re;ly on exercise alone to compensate. Never really ate Junk food, did eat too much of good food.

Back on Jan. 1 I changed my diet to Pick it, Pull it or Catch it foods.
    Being things you could pick from a tree,(Fruit & Nuts) pull from the ground(Veggies & Seeds) or catch (Fish or Foul).

20#s off & staying off. More importantly felling better.

MrsGhost likes this.