Sexism and fairy tales

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by BiBiBaby, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

Ok, so mistress posted this in another thread... and it got me thinking.

Once upon a time, a girl asked a guy "Will you marry me?"
    The guy said, "No" and the girl lived happily ever after and went
    shopping, dancing, drank martinis, always had a clean house, never had
    to cook, stayed skinny and farted whenever she wanted.

The End.

My happily ever after is my bf, he takes me shopping, dancing, drives me home after too many martinis, keeps his apartment cleaner than I do, cooks for me, and chases me around the room and tackles me after I fart on him....

Why is it though, that Fairy Tales are either blatantly sexist where the woman stays at home and does everything and that's what makes her 'happy' ...or like the one above, seem to insinuate that a woman can not be happy with a man in her life? Where are the stories for Today, where a young girl gets to chose her life's path AND her partner and still be happy?

2. The Mistress

The Mistress New Member

Looks like you just wrote your own fairy tale to me. :lol
    *smacks own wrist.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

To me...love is a fairy tale, as elusive as the Easter Bunny. [​IMG]

3. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

I stay at home and 'do everything' and that makes me quite happy. I have an equal say in how our finances and household are managed and I have time out of the house by myself, I take care of myself, etc. A woman doesn't have to become a pathetic, empty soul just because she stays home and 'does everything'. I actually feel like I'm pretty lucky to be able to stay home with my kids, and I also know quite a few other women that stay home and find happiness and maintain some sense of self as well.

I think you're associating women who 'stay home and do everything' with women who lose their personal identity because they have a marriage and/or family. It isn't always that way.

People don't always fit the exact type of pigeonhole stereotypes that exist about them. There is alot more middle ground out there than you might think. :)

4. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I didn't intend to imply that by anymeans. If that is your choice and its what makes you happy that is GREAT!! What I was more implying is so many stories that we tell little girls that end in 'happily ever after' don't give her a choice, that is what she does and thats it... I think that if you've chosen a way of life and its your happily ever after that is wonderful, but so often a woman becomes a stay at home, not because they want to, but because it is expected of them by some 3rd party. Their husband, the community, neighbors, or whatever

5. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

I didn't take offense and had no reason to, you were only speaking of your observations. :)

I see what you're saying, but you have to remember, women and little girls have it pretty good, in the US in the year 2007.
    We have alot more choices an options than girls did even 30 years ago.
    More girls are attending college than boys are now, for example. We've come a long way, baby. :)

Societal and family pressures will always exist, whether in the form of a girl having to choose a career, or having to choose a family, or having to choose a man from certain stock, etc. Pressures change from generation to generation, but they will always exist in some form or another. :ugh

It's sometimes hard to believe that not THAT long ago in history women were cast aside for not being able to bear many children, yet now in 2007 most couples will have "2.8 children" and spend a fair amount of money over the course of their sexually active life to prevent having more. :)

Pressures change for various reasons, but the human downfall of pushing ideals on others seems to never fail. Who knows what kind of pressures will exist for little girls 50 years from now? :uhh:

They are, and unfortunately always will be.

6. barbie

barbie New Member

I also stayed at home with my kids,and thier was no choice to make.Thank goodness my husband made enough money that allowed me to do that.I.ve had my kids say how happy they were that they had a mom to come home to instead of an empty house.I sure there are moms who would much rather be at home raising thier own kids instead of a baby sitter.But we do what we gotta.Thats life.

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I think most fairy tales are quite old dating back to when prehistoric males thought the only places a woman would be in her place was the kitchen and the bedroom, thanks fuck those times have changed...

Anyways thats why i think the fairy tales are the way they are. perhaps someone should come out with some far more upto date fairy tales.
    Because times have changed and moved on.

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

That's a bit depressing lass, you better stop or you're on your way to my level of cynicism. :ugh

9. The Mistress

The Mistress New Member

I have a feeling I have already surpassed your level. I've had a few more years than you to develope it. :lol

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Perhaps ... but then again, you don't know the ... depth of my ... shall we say soulessness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.