Sex Drive

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by firststeps, May 31, 2007.

1. firststeps

firststeps New Member

I was always under the impression that as you get older your sex drive decreases. My personal experience is that as I have got older I am more and more horny. When I was 18 I could shag all night, but now whilst I am too bloody knackered to shag all night I can't stop thinking about sex or women. Also, I am still totally capable of having sex more than once per sitting....

Is this just me or are there others who, as the years progress, have found that their sex drive has not decreased but actually become more acute???

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

I've always been a pretty horny person but since I've turned 40 last year my libido has gone through the roof! I can barely contain myself now, I'd hate to think how I'd be if it took another leap by the time I am 50. :eek

3. MikeDog

MikeDog New Member

I got more horny with age too.

4. firststeps

firststeps New Member

Thank God for that! If my libido increases anymore then I am likely to being walking around with a permanent hard on!

I have never really managed to "control" what happens anyway and get turned on really quickly and easily.

It feels like I have never left my teenage years behind but simply got better at keeping the symptoms hidden.

5. Bluesy

Gold Member

A woman's sex drive increases with age (peaking around 35...which is very accurate in my case!). It is highly unusual for that to happen to a guy. If I were you, I would discuss this with your doctor, since it could indicate a health issue (bipolar disorder, e.g., causes abnormally high sex drive). Sex addiction is another possibility (sometimes people with OCD will get "addicted" to just about anything, and the onset could happen at any age), but only you can say whether or not that might be true for you. Obsessing about sex is the reason I mention that particular problem. If these thoughts/compulsions are interfering with the quality of your life, I would advise seeing a counselor.

If your body is producing excess testosterone, there are treatments...that's something else that should be looked into, just to be on the safe side. Not to scare you or anything, but hormonal imbalances are very, very occasionally related to tumor growth.

6. firststeps

firststeps New Member

Crikey!

I just thought that I was a horny bastard! It never occured to me that I could have a serious problem. However, I have annual medical checks due to my job (with full blood analysis etc) which have not indicated a problem and I am pretty sure that I am not bi-polar as this has not been an issue in the past (although I appreciate that it is not really easy for the person affected to make such a statement with any degree of accuracy).

I suspect that in reaility it is more to do with simply becoming more sexually aware as I have matured and, as a result, having a broader array of sexual turn-ons. The world has become "sexier" and in talking to friends (men and women) I don't feel that I am massively different from them. Oddly, most of the men I speak to say that same as me... although, this could be bravado.

Equally, I am not a particularly addictive person (I sometimes smoke, but can take it or leave it) and the same is true of other things. Perhaps it is simply that I really do love sex and most things associated with it - not medical, not psychological but simply a horny little devil???

7. Bluesy

Gold Member

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I didn't mean for it to sound like an increased sex drive automatically = health problem, because there are certainly favorable explanations, too! I'm just the sort of person who likes to err on the side of caution, and so I automatically think of things to rule out before considering other possibilities.

Well, yeah, that's the problem...people become accustomed to their patterns of behavior, it seems normal to them, and so they have a really hard time being objective when it comes to drawing a line between functional and dysfunctional behavior. The general rule of thumb is that if a pattern of thought or behavior causes problems (e.g., emotional distress, interpersonal problems, job stress), it's probably a good time to discuss it with your doc and ask for a referral to a therapist and/or psychiatrist for evaluation. Only you can say whether or not your sex drive is problematic. I will say that guys are notorious (men! :eyes ;) ) for insisting that nothing's wrong with them when the quality of their lives could be vastly improved if only they were completely honest with themselves...but, again, that's a highly personal thing.

8. sexless

sexless New Member

i have quite consistently the same sex drive or hunger for sex since a teen. have not felt any diminishing effect with age, on the other hand i wish i can say the same for my wife! after 2 kids sex has all but dissappeared.