Sex and religion

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by UtherPendragon, Oct 18, 2007.

1. UtherPendragon

UtherPendragon New Member

Obviously the people on this forum are sexual by nature or they wouldn't be here, but I was wondering how religious beliefs affect our sexuality.
    Here in europe, uk at least, in the past sex was promoted by the church as something to be done as a means of procreation only and that actually enjoying it was sinfull. I'm sure this lead to a lot of screwed up people, relationships and marriages.
    I'd love to know the religeous bent of the ppl on here.
    I am an atheist and my partner is a practicing christian and actually it appears to have had no dertrimental effect on her at all! thank god;-)

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Well - - why don't you just open up the 'proverbial can of worms' :lol

I imagine you will get every viewpoint from every spectrum of the question - and, no doubt, some responses will border on inflamatory. (If that happens, of course we'll have to close the thread....) Hopefully people will behave themselves and share their thoughts in a civil manner, and NOT use it to try to persuade others to change...
    ---------------------
    ON TOPIC: I believe in God. And I do ascribe to morals that I learned early on in life. That said, in reference to sexuality, I believe God created our bodies with all those wonderfully wild sensations so that we could enjoy sex to it's fullest. I was never 'taught' that it was "sinful to enjoy it" - from a religious standpoint. I was never 'taught' ANYTHING about it, actually :ugh

Thorn & I were talking just yesterday about how the act of sex causes us to draw close to each other - long after we've dressed and gone on with our day.

3. Nettle

Nettle Member

I was screwed up for quite a few years. I was brought up by a Catholic mother, who made me feel that sex was dirty. Because I was an affectionate child who like physical contact, I remember her telling me that I was the sort of person who would like sex... but she made it sound like it was a bad thing.

For many years I was unable to acknowledge that I wanted and enjoyed sex.

I was brough up as Church of England, but I am not heavily religious.

4. UtherPendragon

Ohh, I hope the can of worms is not too big. To me sex is as much about mind as body. In fact sometimes when we are just doing something as mundane as shopping in the supermarket it feels like a form of sex, Ha, strange sort of foreplay! Sex is just the physical manifestation of love.
    Sex without love is not so much immoral to me, just unsatisfying. Love without sex is unatural.
    Actually the more in love I am the more in lust I am. You are right the feeing of closeness that comes from deep intimacy is priceless and anything that diminishes that feeling is unfortunate.
    But actually, as I said, it does not affect my partner at all.
    I hope this thread doesn't get closed. It's really about the mental side of sex.

5. emerlyj

emerlyj New Member

I'm a Catholic and was brought up as one, but my father also always taught me to question everything I am told to believe so I am probably not really a 'true Catholic'. My religion hasn't had much of an effect on my sex life either way, i was never taught that 'sex was dirty' and I am definitely glad of that!

6. igor

Gold Member

Exactly! There is nothing biblical that says that sex is not to be enjoyed. There is also nothing said that sex has to be for procreation only. There is nothing said that says masturbation is a sin. It is also agreed that those that withhold sex from their mate is committing a sin.

7. LPjammin

LPjammin New Member

I'm an agnostic...

...as I think we are all deep down inside as none of us can KNOW; only have faith to whatever degree we do.

Thanks to my background, I have always had a desire to stand naked in the jungle with a woman, eat an apple and then have sex while a snake watches.

Past that, looking at the teachings of monogamy and rules of procreation of many faiths it seems rather obvious, to me, that these teachings are pretty good ideas if the goal is to strengthen a given culture and give it order and help it survive and flourish.

Whether or not that is a God's plan or a simple practical idea sprung from man seeking to make things work better is another issue.

For me, the primary thing about sex is that I am deeply attracted to women and they make my wee wee hard and I love it when they play with mine and I get to play with theirs, ergo, there is no religious component, only the considerations of pleasure and procreation. And, by God, that's enough reason for me.

8. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

I have lost my faith use to be christian from my parents but I honestly don't know what I believe in anymore. I really don't like organized religion but thats as far as I am going. My SO is slightly Christian but we do as well please basically. My thoughts on religion is that it is a good rule of thumb but I don't take it literally.

#8 vampire raver, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  9. MunaJadida

MunaJadida New Member

I was raised Christian and I really feel like it influenced my sexual enjoyment. I didn't make noise, I didn't try a lot of freaky stuff. What little I did, I felt guilty for. I used to take off my cross necklace before I masturbated because I felt guilty.

I have been Wiccan for five years now. I have just learned to enjoy sex in the past year (hmm, ever since my ex husband moved out, wonder if that has anything to do with it...). I still have trouble feeling confident in my body and finding myself beautiful. But I do enjoy sex now and I have orgasms during sex, which I never did before. I also make LOTS of noise and try (and enjoy!) tons of new sexual situations and experiences.

10. Dreama

Gold Member

I'm an agnostic. I wasn't raised in christianity, as my parents aren't christians. My father is into native American type religious viewpoints.......But, I don't ascribe to that completely either.

BUT, being raised in a religious area,that had an effect on me. I did used to think that I was bad for being sexual, since everyone else thought it was so bad. Plus, my parents, for a long while, didn't have the healthiest relationship. Both were morbidly obese (both lost over 200 lbs each) and were obviously out of love. Now, they've rekindled the zeal that love once held for them, but while I was at home, I assumed that I was being discouraged from sex because that was bad or something. Not religious, but social programming nonetheless.

11. msduncan

msduncan Active Member

Speaking for my wife and I:

We are two very politically conservative, moral, and catholic people. We are also FREAKS. I think sexual tendencies are more to do with hangups and insecurities passed down from observations of parents and relatives than religious participation.

Now.... we are monogamous and faithful, but we are freaks with each other! :)

Most other religious folks we talk to say whatever goes on between a man and his wife in the bedroom is sanctioned by God and church.

12. Babiegurl

Babiegurl New Member

I'm kinda lost on the concept of faith, there is something there for me but nothing that I feel I need to devote my thoughts to. I was raised Hispanic Catholic-Christian (my parents were divorced so when I was with one parent or the other it was different religion to follow) so though my family was free with things sex was a "behind th door" type of thing. It wasnt until recently that my mothers family came around to the idea of it being more of a convo topic. My husband is Pagan(not the popular demon chanting that the Christian community believes it to be) more about nature and spirit belief. So he tends to be open to sex as a natural and pleasurable act, not to be looked at as a bad thing but enjoyed fully.

13. Bluesy

Gold Member

I love Pagans :) They're always such interesting, warm-hearted people.

I was raised Methodist, my family was very closed-mouthed about sex, and I grew up thinking you didn't have sex before marriage. Then I got into college and experienced a revelation: Hormones trump religious beliefs every time ;) Yeeeaaah, my virginity didn't last long after I began dating a cute guy who was not at all anxious to hold onto his virginity.

Today I'm a Secular Humanist, which means my principles are based on a reverence for the dignity and humanity of the individual. Sex is cool so long as I and my partner share a mutual respect for one another.

14. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

Exactly thats it in a nutshell

15. UtherPendragon

This has just got to be a rule made up by a guy not getting enough from his wife.:)

16. kloi89

kloi89 New Member

I'm from india and I'm hindu. Hinduism is not a "religion" per se. Its a big conglomerate of different schools of thoughts. One of it gives utmost important to women and attributes divinity to sexual union. And most of them tell you to get away from satisfying your desires since there's no way to satisfy all the desires you have.

As far as I'm concerned sex is equally spiritual experience where you lose yourself, and begin to love your SO as yourself. Which is the starting of "that art thou" the principal teaching of any religion.

17. Barbwire

Gold Member

Its been ages since I cracked open a bible, but, isn't there a part in there about "spilling your seed on the ground" (masturbation) being a big NO-NO?

And what about the kittens?

[​IMG]

18. msduncan

msduncan Active Member

That's an interpretation.

Most believe God killed Onan because he chose masturbation over his wife. This is fancy Bible speak to say he was neglecting her and betraying her needs.

19. Barbwire

Gold Member

Whew! That's good to know, I was really feeling bad about all the kittens I killed last weekend. :dgrin

20. cook74

Gold Member

Poor little kitties...:(

I don't understand why there are so many of them left with people like you and me around CL ;)

Can you imagine if no one masturbated... The world would be run by felines like in the good old days of the Pharaohs :p