Serious question... Please help...

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by skippy24060, Oct 8, 2007.

1. skippy24060

skippy24060 New Member

Hey, I'm new to the forums, iv looked around them occasionally but i have a serious question that I wanted to ask so I figured someone on here may be able to help me, well i hope so anyway.

I have been dating a girl for several months now, although we have known each other for a long time. Unfortunately, the guy that she dated before me seemed to have been somewhat of a looser and messed around on her because she occasionally got bladder infections from him.

Her and I have always been faithful to each other since we have been dating, but just last week she came to me and said that something abnormal was going on in her female region. Apparently there were a few white bumps, well she showed them to me and i honestly could barely see them, but its her body so she knows when something is wrong. So she went to the doctor, but since she was on her period, he couldn't do anything about it or look at it. This Friday she has an appointment to get all checked out.

She has looked online at different stuff and believes that she has HPV, and that she probably got it from her ex, because the doctor said that you can have it for a long time before there are any signs. So after all of that, i guess my questions are:

Has anyone on here had this or know anything about it?
    What are treatments for this?
    How possible is it that I have something?

Any help or information would be really helpful, it may help her calm down about the situation as she has really been flipping out the last few days.

Thanks

2. Bluesy

Gold Member

80% of all people will contract HPV by the time they're 50. (Women, go get your HPV vaccine!) It's one of the most prevalent STDs out there, but, fortunately (I suppose), it's also one of the least troublesome. Not everyone develops warts, a lot of people are carriers of the virus and asymptomatic, so it's possible that you have HPV and will never know it. There isn't a test for men currently :( So it's even possible that you might've given it to her...HPV can be passed on via oral sex, so vigilant condom use is not always enough to prevent contracting the virus.

If warts do appear, they can be removed during a simple outpatient procedure--it's really no biggie. Since the majority of the population has it, and there's no cure, it's just one of those things people learn to live and deal with, and then get on with life. The virus doesn't cause health problems aside from the warts (and again, not every carrier gets them) as far as I know.

She may have developed something as mundane as pearly papules, which have nothing to do with STDs...so tell her to relax and try not to jump to conclusions. Let the doc make the diagnosis--it's what they get paid for!

3. whitewater

whitewater New Member

HPV can also cause cervical cancer, not that it will but it does increase the risk.

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Until Friday rolls around, I thing you're putting the cart before the horse. Wait for a thorough analysis. Once you know what it is, then you can figure out what (if anything) needs to be done.

Just a little afterthought here.... you made no mention of using condoms during your lovemaking. Are you using condoms? It's not 100%, as Bluesy said, but it can protect fluids and infections from being transferred from one party to another. Please think seriously about using protection - even if your partner is on birth control.

5. skippy24060

skippy24060 New Member

OK, so my girlfriend went to the doctor, and sure enough she does have HPV. The doctor said that it is a very minor case, there are visible warts, but very minor and not inside of her, so apparently that is a good thing. I guess the doctor told her that there is really nothing else that can be done, although he did give her some cream to put on the warts to make them go away, but he said that even if they aren't there, they can still be passed on. I know that even using protection can still pass the virus on to me because of skin-to-skin contact.

My girlfriend is very upset about all of this understandably. For those of you that have had this, can you offer any advice to help her out? Also, she feels that being intimate is very important in relationships, so for all of you that do have it or have had it, how did you go about being intimate without worrying about transferring the disease?

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Just make sure that she knows that you are with her, and that you aren't disappointed with her for any reason. Standing by her, and giving affection are the two best things you can do.

7. Bluesy

Gold Member

I'm very sorry to hear that :( There is a very minor surgical procedure for removing the warts, if the cream doesn't work (but I imagine it should do the trick). I know that there's a book on coping and living with Herpes, for those who have contracted it, but I've never heard of anything similar for those who have HPV. All I can think of, at the moment, is to reassure her that 80% of the population is going to contract the virus by the age of 50, so she is most definitely not alone. She can turn this into a positive and use her experience to educate others (after she's come to terms with it), and that may help raise her spirits. If every woman under the age of 50 were tested for HPV, and the ones who aren't carriers were vaccinated, we could really turn things around.

As for sexual contact, female condoms cover a portion of the vulva as well as the vagina, so you might want to look into that, and see if they'll cover the area where the warts developed. Dental dams are very thin squares of flavored latex that are used to cover the genitals during oral sex, and from what I've heard, it hardly changes the sensation at all. ETA: You can also cut open a flavored condom, or use a non-lubricated condom with your own oral lube (and there are tons of yummy latex-friendly flavors out there). If you touch her genitals, make sure you wash your hands afterwards.

The good news is that sometimes the virus dies, so she may want to be tested again in the future. If she's into homeopathy or other natural treatments, she may want to look into natural cures for viral infections (two that come to mind are astragalus and manuka honey).

#7 Bluesy, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  8. skippy24060

skippy24060 New Member

Thanks for the help everyone, and sorry for all of the questions, i am just ignorant to this HPV stuff.

Well my girlfriend got a call from the doctor today, and her test results came back. Fortunately she doesn't have the bad strand of HPV that causes the cancer. I guess we are kinda wondering, once the warts go away, are we safe to have intercourse without the chance of me getting anything, or how is this usually handled?

9. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I acquired HPV in my late teens. Not much was known or written about it then. I had full-blown vaginal warts, and it was quite advanced. I am now in my 50's, and have never had another flair-up. My husband (of 30 years) has never shown any symptoms (men don't usually show symptoms anyway). I am not acquainted with HPV that is not associated with cervical cancer, but have read that it is considered a "low-risk" virus.

I have always been told by my GYN that my cervix has the appearance of 'hamburger meat' (please throw up in the toilet...) hence, I always should get an annual PAP smear.

Your girlfriend should do the same. HPV is not a curable disease. It may have been caught early enough to prevent serious damage, and it may never flair up again (mine has not). But the virus will remain in her system. There are new reports that men who have contracted the HPV virus, though not showing outward symptoms, have been known to have health issues, as well. Since you probably have a healthy immune system, and the virus is a "low-risk" form, you are probably safe in that area.

Only a doctor (or someone who has stayed in a Holiday Inn Espress :lol ) can give you the total facts in your case.

10. Bluesy

Gold Member

That's good news, that she doesn't have the cancer-causing variety! As for intercourse (and oral/anal sex), if you've been sleeping together for a little while, odds are that you already have it. So, in the future, if anything should happen and you find yourself single again, you'll want to inform new partners that you most likely have HPV and all the necessary precautions should be adhered to to prevent passing it on to someone else (you're always infectious, regardless of whether you have symptoms or not).

There's tons of info about STDs, including HPV, to be gleaned from reputable internet sources these days, and here's one you'll probably be interested in, a fact sheet for men from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV-and-men.htm

I'll also PM you the addy of a site where you can get additional info from a licensed and well-renowned sexpert.

Best wishes to you and your gf :)