[Ask a Girl] Schrödinger's Rapist??

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by Trond, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Trond

Gold Member

Girls (and guys). What do you think of this blog post:
    Guest Blogger Starling: Schrödinger?s Rapist: or a guy?s guide to approaching strange women without being maced | Shapely Prose

I think some parts of it may be good advice. Except if I followed it by the letter I probably wouldn't be married today:eyes. I also wonder if it's a bit too paranoid.

But, I actually find the title a bit offensive, and sentences such as this: "When you approach me in public, you are Schrödinger’s Rapist. You may or may not be a man who would commit rape. I won’t know for sure unless you start sexually assaulting me. "

I realize that women should be careful, but there are better ways of telling people, other than implying that "I see you as a potential rapist" (in this context "Schrödinger's" more or less means "potential". It is based on his thought experiment with a cat in a box that may or may not be dead. The same way, to this woman, a guy may or may not be a rapist)

2. Victus

Victus New Member

I think this is overly-generalized, but still quite informative. I'm not sure I believe that all women are quite so paranoid or in such a heavy defensive mindset. If that is the case, someone like me who has trouble reading signals and isn't very good at approaching ladies is completely screwed, and not in a good way. Yeah, if this were true of all women, I'm just going to come out now and say I'm going completely gay XD

Also, not everyone's signals are the same. Someone with crossed arms for example, or reading a book doesn't necessarily mean they want to be left alone or are defensive. They might actually welcome a conversation or potentially getting a date with a nice guy, and then pick right back up where they left off later on in the day.

To try and generalize signals will work some of the time, but a lot of the time, it'll probably be wrong, since everyone's unique. Lots of good info in here, just too generalized.

3. Trond

Gold Member

Heh. It's written by one of those people who claim to hate generalizations :lol
    I agree though :D (and it's not all bad)

Anyway, the thing with the book and crossing arms etc: my wife was very much like this when we first met, so I certainly wouldn't follow her (the blogger) to the letter. On the other hand, some people do have problems with understanding when the other person is NOT interested (and showing it), so I see where some of the advice is coming from.