Scarey night last night

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

We live in a very quite suburban residential neighborhood. I have never heard of a burglary or any other crimes in the neighborhood. Last night my wife and I went to bed around midnight. We were awakened around 3:00 AM by someone knocking on our front very hard. We both wondered why someone would be at out door at that time on night without calling us first. We looked out the windows and peep hole but saw nothing. I told Rose to call 911 while I searched through the rest of the house. As she was calling the police we saw a patrol car slowly going down the road with the spot light shinning around the area. He went on by but within a minute of the time of our 911 call two police cars pulled up out front and 3 uniformed officers and a plain clothes cop got out of the vehicles shining their flashlights on our property. I opened the front door and when down the porch steps to meet them. As I got to the bottom step an officer shined his flashlight on the steps and said "Watch out where you step, there's blood on the steps." He had noticed that I was bare footed. I don't think I stepped in any. My wife told the cops that we have several buildings in the bake of the house that were not locked. They did a quick search and found nothing. Then they looked around some of our nearby neighbor's yards and continued their search around the neighborhood. After they left we took a closer look at our front door and porch. There was fresh blood all over the door from the door knocker down. It had even puddled up where it ran down the door onto the threshold. I'll put on some protective gloves and clean it up today. Needless to say we did not get much sleep after that. We may never know what the guy did or if they apprehended him latter but I know I’ll never forget the whole situation. BTW, I forgot to mention that after the cops searched our property outside they were shinning flashlights on the front grill and hood of one of the patrol cars which leads me to believe that they were trying to arrest the guy nearby and a struggle took place and the guy escaped. One of the cops said they were looking for him for ten minutes before we called 911.

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Wow, pardon the pun but thats a bit close to home...
    Just one of the reasons I spent over $3000 on home (and garage) security.

3. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Wow! That's scary and rings kinda close to home. A few years ago my wife and I were still up around midnight on a Friday night and heard a bunch of sirens just outside. (We also live in a quiet suburb of a small city.) We went out to the front lawn to see what the commotion was all about just in time to hear someone yelling, "Get down, get down!," followed by 5 or 6 gunshots.

It seems the hubby and wife the 3rd house down from ours had gotten drunk and were fighting at a party a few blocks away. He took off from the party when the cops arrived, drove home and drove his car through the front of the garage. Then he backed out and hit a police car and apparently one of the cops. To make a long story a little shorter, when he wouldn't stop and get out of the car, they opened fire on him. Shot him dead.

Oh yeah, and I beat my wife into the house when the shooting began. She had to run back to retrieve one of her slippers. LOL No matter bullets were flying by.

4. Thorn

Gold Member

Damn Joe that's more frightening than our episode last night. :eek

I cleaned the blood off the door and porch with straight bleach and a bristle brush. Then rinsed it for a good while with the water hose. I guess that will take care of and danger to us or someone else being contaminated from contact. Does anyone know of a better way. Man this guy lost a lot of blood.

5. pirouette

Gold Member

Did you let the bleach stand for at least 15 minutes? I would. Steam cleaners actually work very well too. I use madacide. Lysol IC would be very effective as well.

6. Thorn

Gold Member

It stayed on the surfaces about 10 minutes while I scrubbed it.

7. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

If you live in Henrico County, call the Henrico Police and ask them to come talk to you about how you can improve security. I believe that they have a program to do that. So do other area police and sheriff's departments. I'd post "No Tresspassing-Violators Will Be Prosecuted" signs on your property in front and in back. Even if you don't really have one, if you can somehow get hold of a security system sign and post it in a highly visible place where it will be seen. Also, if you can get a big ol' dog who will bark, that helps more than a security system. You and your neighbors may be in a "Neighborhood Watch" area. If so, I would join it, if not the police can help you organize one and put up a sign. If you can get a shotgun and learn how to use it and some capstun pepper spray, it might be a good idea to have that as well. I figure what you did to clean up is probably good. The guy was probably on drugs and either had injured himself trying to break in somewhere or had been shot by somebody in a drug related matter. May God bless and protect you all!

8. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

:lol - I'm not sure how our neighborhood would react to "No Trespassing" signs planted all over the property. Probably something in the 'by-laws' that disallow it :eyes And I imagine that, whoever it was, they would not have taken the time to read them. It seemed to be a pretty spontaneous action.

The person actually didn't try to break in, he banged on the door, trying to awaken someone. So a security system would not have deterred anything. (Unless, of course, it included an elaboate video surveillance). We still would have had the blood all over the place.

I imagine forming a Neighborhood Watch program would be a good idea. The city seems to be moving closer and closer to our 'home sweet home'.

9. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

You guy are lucky to live in a country where the police actually do their job! A yackity dog is a great protection. Lots of dangerous guys simpley prefer to skip the house with a dog. And of course have good outdoor lighting on at night, or at least the type that turns on with a motion sensor. And pray!

10. Bluesy

Gold Member

Yep. Same thing here. When I moved into this neighborhood a few years ago it was a relatively quiet, peaceful, friendly sort of community I felt quite secure in. You just didn't hear about burglaries or other stuff happening. Now there's gang activity in the area, businesses are closing their doors... I'm moving shortly and cannot get out of here soon enough! Thankfully I have a large dog from one of the guard dog breeds, and though she's such a sweetheart that I highly doubt she would actually attack anyone, she looks very intimidating and has the bark to match. That's the only reason I still feel safe here.

11. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

*Eyes the Yorkie curled up on the floor*

Bluesy, do you think a "Beware of Cat" sign would help? LOL

12. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Hopefully there would not be any bylaws disallowing at least discrete signs of some sort. Anyway, if they are permissible, having no trespassing signs, even smaller ones, raises trespassing from a misdemeanor to a felony in our state. When we first moved to my current neighborhood, I had people coming by - sales, various other people - day and night coming up on our property. The local Sheriff's Department strongly recommended no trespassing signs so I put them up and haven't had a problem since. Usually the people who commit crimes DO know about the law. Also, I used to work for a private electronic security alarm company (in addition to having attended two Citizens Police Academies, I have had private investigator and electronic security training -and,no, I don't wear a rumpled raincoat and smoke cigars, ha, ha). We found that the BEST things to deter people from coming on your property, in addition to no trespassing signs, were private security alarm company signs and having a barking dog in the house or fenced in the yard (maybe Thorn could bark like a dog and you could make a recording of it with an electric eye to activate it, ha, ha - better yet, put Thorn on a long chain, get him a spiked collar and put him outside in the yard, ha, ha - that'd probably scare hell out of anybody ;>). If criminals think that someone is vigilent, they are much less likely to bother you. Having a neighborhood watch sign in your neighborhood also does wonders to cut down crime. Having good night time lighting on your property and/or in your neighborhood streets also helps to deter criminals.

Usually, if someone is going to burglarize your house, they have cased the place, that is, done surveillance, for a while to determine when the best times for a break in might be. Also, most burglaries take only a few minutes. Most people doing them, except for the occasional newbie amatuer burglary, take only a few minutes. They get in and out as soon as possible unless, of course, they are some sort of pervert out to sexually assault someone. That's why I suggested that the person pounding on your door might have been someone on drugs trying to get money for a fix by holding you up. But even someone on drugs is likely to see and think twice before bothering someone whose house appears to be protected. Police also suggest having a shotgun and capstun pepper spray, if you want to have a weapon because it's easier to hit someone with a shotgun, the noise and light strobe also scares people, even someone on drugs.

If you contact your local police, they can send out someone (in most localities) who can look at your house and property and suggest various means to increase your security. If a neighborhood watch exists in your neighborhood, they can help you join it and if one does not exist, they can help you get one started. If you can attend a local Citizen Police Academy (they are free), you can learn a lot about how the police or sheriff's departments work and how you can help improve security in your area.

Well, to paraphrase the theme song of the TV show "COPS", "Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do?! Whatcha gonna do when Rose 'n' Thorn catch you!!!" :phat

13. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Well, to paraphrase the theme song of the TV show "COPS", "Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do?! Whatcha gonna do when Rose 'n' Thorn catch you!!!" :phat[/QUOTE]

:rofl

14. Bluesy

Gold Member

Hey, I've met some pretty vicious cats that could give any guard dog a run for its money ;)

I hope Thorn and Rose are sleeping more peacefully now...no more baddies interrupting their post-coital slumber.

15. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

A sign saying "Alarm System Connected to Local Police Station" can help too!

16. rene48

rene48 New Member

A NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH IS GREAT! WE HAVE ONE IN OUR COMMUNITY AND WE LIVE WAY INTO THE COUNTRY SIDE. I AM SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. HERE IS SOMETHING IF YOU CAN'T KEEP PETS INSIDE OR OUT, PERHAPS YOU DO ALREADY. WHAT WE HAVE DONE IS: RECORDED A DOG BARKING. WE HAVE A DOG BUT SHE'D LICK YOU TO DEATH. ANYWAY, WE HAVE A PAL THAT HAS THIS HUGE GERMAN SHEPPARD, BEAUTIFUL BUT IT'S BARK IS FEROCIOUS. YOU SHOULD HEAR IT, ACTUALLY FROM OUTSIDE, IT'S JUST LIKE REAL BECAUSE IT'S ATTACHED TO LARGER SPEAKERS THAN A PHONE RECORDER. IT'S ACTIVATED BY A MOTION DETECTOR. SAME AS A PERSON WALKING ACROSS THE PATH OF IT'S BEAM, IT ACTIVATES THE SOUND. ANYWAY, JUST A THOUGHT.
    RENE

17. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Please use this key sparingly.;)