Same-Sex Marriage Does Threaten “Traditional” Marriage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Texas_Red, May 8, 2013.

1. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Now now, put away the pitchforks, that's just the title of this article which makes a good case in how traditional marriage is actually threatened by same sex marriage. You'll have to read to understand it, it's actually a much deeper thing.

For what it's worth, now I say fuck it, let "traditional" marriage be threatened. In fact, let us see it go extinct.

2. AtkCCC

Gold Member

Let it go extinct? Thats pretty harsh! I don't care one way or another about Same-Sex marriage. Stay out of my bedroom and I'll stay out of yours but to say one or the other should go extinct..wow.

If you don't like traditional marriage then don't do it. If you don't like Same-Sex marraige then don't do it. Just like I don't enjoy certian music,I don't listen but I don't care if someone else tunes to that station.

I do get the just of the article...but I still don't want to see either go extinct!

Kind of thought the "Keep Austin Weird" crowd was more into doing your own thing? No pitchforks here! ;-)

#2 AtkCCC, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. almostthere

Gold Member

Poligamy should be legal

4. Meee

Gold Member

Worth reading. Thank you for posting.

A related argument I've heard is: If women can marry women, then they won't "need" to marry men. This is like the ban on sex toys for women in Alabama: If women have dildos, then they won't need to marry men for sex, and it will even encourage lesbianism. Notice how they throw in homosexuality as part of this argument in defense of traditional marriage too.

5. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Wait, traditional marriage as it's defined now, or traditional marriage as it's defined in the bible? Because the bible has a lot of "traditional marriages" : man and woman, man and many women, rapist and victim, man and his wife's slaves.

I think Mr Colbert summed up traditional marriage the best
    Asvs7NnCIAE_nx4.jpg

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

The only place in the bible that mentions homosexuality, and is against it, is the old testament...which means you are stoned to death for committing adultery and you can't eat shellfish. I personally believe the bible is bullshit..as is religion. I don't care who marries who.

7. Essene

Gold Member

The interesting facet about the Bible is that various versus can be understood a multitude of ways. Saying that the only place a certain subject is discussed (in a disdainful manner) in the Bible is fallacious as it may have very well been discussed as such elsewhere (in this case, the New Testament).

#7 Essene, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  8. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Essene, since you like to correct people, I have to point out that it's "verses," not versus. And I'm not even sure you mean verses, you probably mean passages.

9. Texas_Red

Gold Member

I mean traditional in the sense of only man/woman, man is breadwinner, woman is caretaker. I want to see it just be "marriage" vs. "traditional marriage" because that's what it is. Just like there is no "gay marriage" and "normal marriage."

10. AtkCCC

Gold Member

That I understand and agree....But my wife can still give me back rubs...right? ;-)

11. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Lol, what consenting adults do behind closed doors is their business. :D

12. lbushwalker

Gold Member

One of those rare moments that we entirely agree :D

13. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

One thing I can't help noticing is that there are no. Gay. Men. Here.

That kind of bugs me! There aren't any lesbians either, as far as I can see. It's just straight men, straight women, and bisexual women (including myself) and maybe a handful of bisexual/bicurious men. The LGBT community around here is pretty depleted!

Sometimes I wonder if gay men would genuinely feel uncomfortable here because of someone's homophobia. Or is it just a coincidence?

Not to get up on a soapbox, but I notice a lot of women who, despite being bisexual, seem content to have relationships with heterosexual men who do not support the LGBT community to which their female partners belong.

It would be a huge dealbreaker for me, and I can't figure out why it's not for those ladies.

If a man has no gay male friends, speaks homophobically, or otherwise has a problem with men being with men, screw him.

I lived with a male homophobe unwillingly for years, so this is no small thing. I remember this very nice news reporter, who may or may not have been gay (but I guess he "seemed" gay to some people's thinking). My mother's ex would get so hostile when he just appeared on TV, calling him homophobic names. I could not understand why ANYONE would hate him because he was just so nice. I grew to hate my mom's ex. It just shows how powerful some men's homophobia is, that they would put down a man who is so nice and such a good person...just because of who he loves.

Whew, long rant.

14. sandwich

Gold Member

That's a very interesting article.

Personally, it does not bother me if women marry women and men marry men. In the US, we live in relative freedom, and we can choose how to live. It seems to me that God also permits free choice; otherwise, we would all be progammed to behave in certain ways. And no, I am not interested in arguing whether or not he exists.

We are free to commit adultery, rob, lie, say something mean, be greedy, think only of ourselves, etc. We are free to not do those things as well. Of course, there are temporal consequences (we may go to jail if we rob, for instance). So why would we get all crazy hyper focused on one area such as marriage? We can be certain that some of the naysayers have committed adultery, lied, etc. Pointing a finger at the other guy is just ugly ugly ugly.

Pretend for one moment it is "wrong". That does not take away an individual's free choice. Pretend for one moment it is "right". The same applies here as well.

It seems we have to make the decision as individuals what to believe and do in this area. It is sad that in the Christian faith a lot of finger pointing goes on when the finger pointers have their own issues. Someone mentioned the Bible, so I will say a few things. It states Jesus came to save, and it is pretty clear that he spent no time politicking. He did take quite a stand on the "blindness" of the religious authorities, however, who thought they were without "sin". Yep. History is repeating itself.

15. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Yikes! I hope you aren't equating marrying someone of the same sex to being greedy, saying mean things, and committing adultery.

16. sandwich

Gold Member

I'm not equating anything to anything. I just tossed out a list of some things that some people might consider to be wrong. My point was to emphasize individual freedom and choice, the ridiculousness of trying to try to legislate this sort of thing, and my personal favorite....hypocrisy. And speaking of that, there is not a person who has lived on this earth who has not engaged in at least some hypocrisy.

17. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

Well, I do think same sex marriage should be legislated so that all couples who want to marry can marry and have all the rights given by being legally married, but I get what you mean. It is a matter of importance because it does affect me personally more than perhaps some others here.

18. sandwich

Gold Member

I meant legislating against it would be silly.

19. fireontheside

fireontheside Member

That's what I figured you meant. But stopping people who are against it isn't enough. Same sex marriage needs to just be legal in the entire U.S. so we can collectively move on to other things. I just don't get why it's even a question whether two people who love each other can marry. I'm just sick of it.

And I'm sick of people trying to prevent something that has absolutely nothing to do with them or their lives.

"Oh no, same sex couples getting married will threaten the sanctity of my probably-going-to-divorce-soon marriage! The horror!"

20. Mittimer

Gold Member

There are gay people around here. You just haven't been around long enough to actually see that. In the three plus years that I've been here, there have been many gay men, lesbian ladies and trans folk. You are truly digging to deep and over analyzing why or why not a certain sexual preference would or wouldn't be here.