Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thorn, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Thorn

Gold Member

Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death by Hanging.

I say good. What's your thoughts and feelings?

2. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

USA has no business being there! Tiny little Iraq, population of 18 million people, has already suffered nearly 2 million deaths! The whole thing is a tragedy almost beyond words!

3. Bella

Gold Member

It's about time! What took them so long?!!
    How long do we have to pay to keep this MF alive though?
    Through 12 more trials? That will take 12 more years!!
    And guess who pays for it???
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bella

4. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I don't know. I mean I have mixed feelings on this issue. On the one hand, I think that putting Saddam to death will be at least a symbolic end of an era, and that it will provide the survivors and the family members of the victims of the massacre with closure, which they deserve. On the other hand, it seems rather hypocritical to put a killer to death. The message is sends is: "Killing is wrong and won't be tolerated. Therefore we're going to kill you."

Also, isn't there some kind of statute of limitations on war crimes just as there is on crimes of the non-war variety? I mean he was tried and convicted for events that happened twenty-four years ago. Did he actually kill the people himself or did he just order people to do it? If it's the latter than he should rather be convicted of the equivalent of second degree murder. Oh well, it's our of our (American's) hands now.

5. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Yeah, I have conflicts about the death penalty as well. Even so, here in the United States, in most states, the death penalty only is used when someone has been found guilty of a number of violent crimes and there just does not seem to be any means of rehabilitating them and there would be reason to fear if they escaped. A number of years ago, here in Virginia, there were some guys who went on a robbing and killing spree. They were sentenced to prison. They managed to escape and went on another robbing and killing spree. They were finally caught and put to death. This past new years day, and a while thereafter, in central Virginia two guys went around torturing and killing people (including a married couple and their two school age children all of whom were duct taped and sliced up with knives), escaped to another state, did some more there and finally, thankfully, were caught. They have been sentenced to death and probably will be executed after their appeals process has run out (evidence was very clear that they committed the crimes). A couple of years ago, a man and a young boy went around using a sniper rifle to randomly kill people in Virginia and in some other states. I remember being shocked when I saw the picture of their car and their pictures on the news because I recognized their car as being a car I passed on the way to church and remembered their faces looking at me (something about them somehow made me feel uncomfortable - apparently they were looking around for other victims) while trying to evade police. People like that are likely to go out and repeat their offenses, perhaps committing even worse ones if they ever escaped. They probably would never respond to therapy, could never be rehabilitated and would probably try to escape if ever given the chance. All things considered, it is probably better to terminate their lives instead of risking that they might escape at some point and commit additional horrible offenses.

As for Saddam, I was watching a History Channel program about him recently. I had seen it before and seen one like it on another channel, however, I felt that it was worth watching again just to make sure that I understood what this man is all about, so to speak. Well, it turns out that he was raised in a very abusive atmosphere in poverty. His Uncle, who took care of him, and people who taught him, had strong ties to the Nazis during World War II. So, what you have in Saddam Hussein is a man who was raised in an abusive situation in childhood which damaged him emotionally, and was raised by hate mongers who believed in a thugocracy, authoritarian govenment which destroys all who do not cooperate and which hates Jews and anyone not like them. He was also poorly educated, by the way and learned most of what he knows from evil people, criminals, who taught him how to be a criminal and a tyrant. As he got older, Saddam Hussein started being a "hit man" for his political party and started clawing his way to power, he started to eliminate his opposition. He had some sons along the way and started to raise them to be just as evil as he has been, even worse. He even tried to have one of them killed, long before the American troops killed him, because his son was being so evil and creating so many problems. Saddam has had so many people tortured and killed, either personally or at his direction, that if he had been an American citizen, committing his atrocities, he would have been on trial for many years and would finally have been executed for his crimes (and we should remember that Saddam had invaded another nation, taking it over, and wanted to do so again if we had left him alone). Apparently, other than poison gas, he did not have weapons of mass destruction, but he surely was interested in getting them and interested in using them against America and our allies, particularly against Israel. And I don't know about anybody else, but I am very GLAD that his sons never managed to knock off their old man and get into power or the world would have had some very serious problems for sure with those two turds in power in Iraq - I am GLAD that they are DEAD! So, all this by way of saying, I think that the United States and the rest of the world will be much better off when Saddam Hussein is dead. I WISH that back when Saddam was a boy, someone could have intervened and gotten him away from all the negative influences upon him, but they did not and he will remain a threat to the world if he continues to live. What I wish would have happened is that the first President Bush and the alliance he created would have gone on to capture Saddam Hussein and take him out during the first invasion of Iraq back in the early 1990s. It makes me feel physically sick to think of all this and all the horrible things which criminals over here in the US and criminals - like Saddam Hussein - have done overseas. Even so, evil exists and we HAVE to fight against it or it will try to destroy us. I just wish that our society could learn to prevent problems instead of dealing with them later on - such as by trying to stop abuse of children and prevent abuse of children instead of waiting until they are mentally damaged adults, committing crime, later on in life. What was the line in a song Peter, Paul and Mary used to sing (Where Have All the Flowers Gone?) "...when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?"

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Yay .. this will herald in decades of sectarian violence in Iraq!

Sunnis killing shi'ites, Shi'ites shooting at Kurds.

*sigh* Fuck this whole thing. Pull our troops out, tell them to figure it out themselves, and let's just stop invading people. Ususally people will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

The future US foreign policy should be having NO trade barriers. We shouldn't be giving foreign aide, or funding overseas political parties. We should mind our own business and Allow our companies to compete in an open market world.

7. HerHubby

Gold Member

If we have no trade barriers, can we tax the hell out of imports?! ;>

8. HerHubby

Gold Member

And, yeah, A1, I already know that I am "...so weird!" Ha, ha! It's a fine art! ;>

9. HerHubby

Gold Member

But the BIG question is: "Will the Tigers beat the Yellow Jackets in THE GAME?!" ;>

10. Thorn

Gold Member

I didn't intend for this to be a discussion on the war in Iraq but about the conviction and sentencing of a murderer. I guess the two are inseparable though.

I heard it automatically goes to an Iraqi panel of judges who will decide if it will go to an appeal hearing.

I'm sure their legal system is quite different than ours and I don't know jack about it. I know that in the US they have brought people to justice decades after their crimes, such as former KKK members that murdered blacks back in the early 60's.

Anyway I'm glad he will be put to death. It's good to see that something working right in Iraq. BTW I'm all for the death penalty in this country also. And I'm proud that my state (Virginia) leads the way in the number of executions of murderers.

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'm a fan of public hanging.

12. Bella

Gold Member

I think he should suffer as he made others suffer!!
    You know an eye for an eye!
    ~Bella

13. Thorn

Gold Member

I would like to hang mine out in public too, but they authorities would lock me up and through the key if I did.:mad

14. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Listen there are reasons we don't want to see that man... :lol

15. Thorn

Gold Member

Jealousy, jealousy, jealousy.:D

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Only of your wife man, only of your wife. :D